Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im gonna be upgrading turbo and engine and hoping to get about 300 to 350 hp out of my car and my suspension right now isnt very great with about 220 hp or so, and i really need an upgrade for more hp, looking for great handling and pretty smooth ride what should i go with.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
not knowing how much your willing to spend id say coilovers. but i dont know how the ride of the coilovers are

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I think you may just need to do some of your own research, because there are piles of good suspension bits on the market, all of which suit different people in different ways.

"Smooth ride and great handling" are mutually exclusive to some extent.

So:

1) What do you do with the car?
2) How much are you looking to spend?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I think you may just need to do some of your own research, because there are piles of good suspension bits on the market, all of which suit different people in different ways.

"Smooth ride and great handling" are mutually exclusive to some extent.

So:

1) What do you do with the car?
2) How much are you looking to spend?
exactly

be a lil more distinct ya kno, i mean u speak pretty loosely of a 220hp engine in a focus for u just now looking into suspension..

and with more than 300hp coming..u defintely need to have some sort of direction

-chris

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Well, with the kind of HP that he's TALKING about....
, he won't be Auto-X'ing.
He MIGHT be able to use that power on a Road Course, or at the Drag Strip.
On the street, it's useless, so, until we know if you are serious, EXACTLY how you'll be using the car, what tires you plan to use, etc, it's hard to make any recommendations unless you're just sitting around in class daydreaming of a "Super Focus".
A few specifics would go a long way toward being able to help you.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Well, with the kind of HP that he's TALKING about....
, he won't be Auto-X'ing.
He MIGHT be able to use that power on a Road Course, or at the Drag Strip.
On the street, it's useless, so, until we know if you are serious, EXACTLY how you'll be using the car, what tires you plan to use, etc, it's hard to make any recommendations unless you're just sitting around in class daydreaming of a "Super Focus".
A few specifics would go a long way toward being able to help you.
my points exactly...i call b.s. without backing

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
For a daily car that is driven on and contends with the irregularitis of public roads 360+ days of the year, I would say you will want a suspension that has plenty of both travel and compliance to keep the tires on the asphalt, something on the order of adjustable shocks with stock springs, or a SVT suspension.... LSD obviously, maybe some SO3s or other max performance tire in 225/50/15... not sure about the fit, but you want stick and some sidewall. You don't want a tire or tire/wheel combo that requires you run really high pressures in the tire.

If your priority is drag racing, I got no idea, it doesn't really interest me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well i might be doing a drag here and there but not strictly dragging and ive got 225/45/16zr Bf-goodrich G-force tda the new tread design tire wise, and they are great , they stick to the road like no other. the car will mostly be driven like a street coarse road racing, and some daily driving/highway. i just want something to keep the wheels on the ground reduce wheel hop , and stiffen up for cornering. i need the wheels on the ground definately cause ihave pick the fronts off the ground twice on up hill climbs which leveled out imediately i was doing 95mph but still need it to stick to the ground. and on not so smooth roads the car is pretty bouncy and feels like tires are trying to lift. just would like to know what some of you are running and how each one helps and how much hp you have for the application. thanks

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
i need the wheels on the ground definately cause ihave pick the fronts off the ground twice on up hill climbs which leveled out imediately i was doing 95mph but still need it to stick to the ground.
HP has nothing to do with this.
What corner at which track was this?
It sounds like you wer just going too fast for the conditions.
Even the best suspensions can't stick to a surface that suddenly disappears from beneath them.
I'd recommend GAZ coilovers from www.batinc.net .
They're sturdy, and you can adjust their damping, and the price is decent.
I won't recommend any super-high dollar units, as I doubt the car will be around long enough to enjoy them.
My car has about 118hp/130tq .
In a tight enough turn, no suspension will stop inside corner front tire wheelspin... The only way to deal with that is with smooth throttle application.
For drag, you want stiff rear springs and dampers, and medium front springs w/ dampers that have firm rebound. (Since we're FWD)
A similar setup will be too tail-happy/bumpy on a roadcourse.
The setup in my sig is a good compromise.
The nice thing about the GAZ' is that you can order custom spring rates and additional springs.
Good Luck, and don't wreck it.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
i dunno looks like you may need to take some time and figure out exactly what u need, cuz it seems u just throwing ideas around....coilovers would be good for all around driving

but im curious...post your car/engine bay, i wanna see what ur running

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Why is your piping going into the throttle body half the size of the rest of the intake piping?
\

i was thinking the EXACT same thing

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Why is your piping going into the throttle body half the size of the rest of the intake piping?

most any turbo you find will have larger intake piping then charge piping. I run 3'' intake and 2'' turbo-intercooler and 2.5'' intercooler-TB. But still, that piping does look TOO small.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

most any turbo you find will have larger intake piping then charge piping. I run 3'' intake and 2'' turbo-intercooler and 2.5'' intercooler-TB. But still, that piping does look TOO small.
yeh, but too small

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
You say you are doing hill climbs with the car. Correct me if I am wrong as I did not see the photos, but your car is an automatic? That is not the best tranny to use for hill climbing.250hp should be all you need for hill climbing events. In PA the hills are not so tall and big HP engines are not needed. Pike's Peak uses high hp motors because of the high elevation (14,110) and as you go up the oxygen gets less. A 1000hp motor at sea level will probably turn 550hp at the top of PP. If you have a body kit on the car I highly recomend you remove it or I hope you have a free supply of them. What is the governing body that puts on your hill climb events? With that kind of power and doing hill climbs do you even have a safety cage or a fire retardant system? What about a battery cut-off switch for your optima? You car would be alot faster if you took out some of the stereo equipment as well.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
He's not doing official hillclimbs.
He's just driving too fast on backroads.
I drive fast on backroads, I confess, but one must allow for the road and it's conditions and drive accordingly.
If the road falls away from you, a quick stab of the brakes to plant the car at just the right moment will be what it takes to avoid flying off of those cresting turns.
Do it wrong at those speeds, and you'll destroy the car.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Sounds like "Flugplatz" on the Ring.

I drive fast, well, period. The wine vinyards around here are great for doing WRC style switch-backs. Uphill or downhill it is all fun. The run to Frankensteins Castle is great as well but normally there is traffic and you have to be careful. I am very guilty of this backroad/B-Strasse fits of tire squeeling.
Now I could put 350whp to good use here, daily

Mike you HAVE to come to Germany: Beer, Clubs and the Ring!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts