Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
One of the biggest problems of instrument panel modding is the recalibration of the needles, especially of the speedometer. Now here is my method which I applied succesfully in my car. I don't talk about the other three needles because recalibration of them is straightforward.
Now about the speedometer needle...
First you must remove the stop pin of the speedometer needle. With the pin in place it is almost impossible to place the needle correctly. Then you can mount the needle as shown here

Some explanation of this photo: The left one (red) is the actual needle. The right one (red) is the imaginary zero position of the needle. The yellow dot stands for the stop pin which MUST be removed throughout the alignment procedure.
If you place the needle (with the vehicle NOT MOVING!!!) in the shown position, you wil probably get an accurate alignment of the speedometer. After this step, you must activate the test mode of the LCD display and go to the speed mode. If you drive your car a couple of km's or miles you can check the accuracy of the aligment you just made. If necessary you can make small adjustments by removing and reinserting the needle. Don't forget. The stop pin will be replaced only after the whole procedure is finished and you are sure that the needle setting is OK!

mod edit: un-linked ur pic and attatched it, thanks for the write-up!

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
I had to take my needles off when i put my speedhuts on, it says to slide them over the needls but its not possible without bending the gauge face.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Did mine that way. Slid them over the needles.
You just get the needles pointed up and slide the face over all 4 needles. Then you have to work the base through:
SLide the top edge of the circle under each needle base, then you be able to pull the bottom edge under.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
my needle bases have a little part sticking out of them opposite the needle which made it impossible to slide the covers over

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all, why I had to remove the face... I mounted a EL reverse glow gaugeface previously. It is possible to put it on without removing the needles (with most of the reverse glow gaugefaces I mean). Some are rigid and you have to remove the needles. Now the EL reverse glow gaugeface died some days ago! So I tried another modification i.e. remove the stock face plate and remove the green backing then replacing it with a transparent blue sheet. To do this I had to remove the needles.

Now, the picture cannot be seen here. I am writing the link again. http://www.sumeryamaner.org/Needle.JPG (this address IS case sensitive, sorry)
You can see my other mods at http://www.sumeryamaner.org/mods.htm

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
i have had two different gauge faces, and the ones I have now you cannot slide over...you guys are arguing and you dont even know what gauges he has...so how do you know if they will fit or not...Im sure he knows if they fit or not. ANYWAY...you can recalibrate them by using a little trick I recently learned, most of you may already know it.

1.Before you start your car hold in the Odometer Trip reset button.
2. Start your car, keep holding the button in untill it says TEST GAGE. Your needles will peg all the way up, then reset.
3. Let go of the button, and push it a few more times untill it reads 000.0, this will be miles per hour. When you drive your MPH will read digitally there.
4. if you push it again it will say 000.0 again. This is KPH. One more push and your Tach will read out digitally

This is the TEST MODE that SumerYamaner spoke of. Even if you dont have to RECAL your needles, its still fun to mess around with. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure. All gauge faces are not the same. Some are more flexible and (most importantly) the holes for the needles are somehow bigger so that they can slide over the central "fat" portions of the needles. Again some other makes have large bore holes and additional adhesive strips to make those holes smaller after the installation.
So, it is illogical to argue on whether you can put them on without removing the needles or not. It depends on the make and model of the gauge face.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
God I wish I knew what I was talking about! I'm such a noob to this!
The speedhut gauges as well as a few of the ebay ones will work, just for the record.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i just left the cover off the gage cluster secured it with one screw, used the (hold down the trip reset button) to get to the digital speedo, drove down the road at a specific speed with cruise control and stuck the needle on, then verified accuracy with the gps, worked for me,

Kids dont try this at...uh on the road its dangerous and irresponsible,

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Picture is still a big red X. And the direct link provided does not work. Can we get this fixed?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts