Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people... here is it...

I am in the final stages of negotiations w/ a company who is developing new ATX tranny upgrades for the Zetec focus.

We're talking High stall tq converter, high strength clutches, etc...

They are building the first one as we speak, and I will be running it as the test car.

I will not say anything about the name of the company asides from the fact that they are rather well known w/ the Mustang crowd.

This post is mainly to get a reaction and input as to how many of you are looking for Non-Level 10 ATX upgrades.

Please post any questions you may have. I will answer them as I am able. Remember, I do not know all the specs as of yet, so please be patient w/ me while waiting for a response.

more info coming soon.

-Toole

[ 01-30-2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: TooleBox ]

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from the prices I know of so far, Definately not

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by KonaZXIII:
Yes, I have one.
Will you always be slower than me?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">maybe so... but i'll always be better lookin

D

·
0 Posts
Brian... who told ya that the ladies liked da speed? they musta been lyin to ya..

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
frisco, i believe the individual parts will be available in time. Right now they are building their very first trans, which will leave them w/ one more core after they get mine

·
Registered
37 Posts
What levels of power handling can we expect out of these upgrades, also if I were to upgrade my ATX with these parts would I experience less of a power lossage due to drivetrain? Also, for those of us not planning to go huge on power which upgrades would give us better power handling say instead of the stock rating of 130hp/135ft-lbs say something like 170hp/175ft-lbs?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fiehead:

as this is a brand new application, all the numbers will truly just be speculations.

there should also be a significant improvement in drivetrain loss. Once I get the trans installed I wil be running new track times and will be able to determine the % of improvement from stock trans. as for power handling like you mentioned... as far as I am aware of, most of the built up clutches are quoted to "Handle" power up to 400fwhp. Now has anyone even come close to that on a focus w/ an ATX? nope...

but if this application is anything comparable to their mustang applications, the build will work just as well for a nicely powered focus as well as a heavily boosted focus. Again this is just speculation as this setup has never been run yet.

as for the best things to get... in the ATX tranny, you are only as strong as your weakest link... you can do just a tq converter, but you'd lose your clutches REAL quick. I'd suggest these in this order:

1) tq converter
2) clutches
3) valve body

after that, a good transmission cooler would be a very good idea as heat is the ATX tranny's worst enemy.

I was running nicely powered N/A for a couple months on a brand new stock trans w/ no issues. I added boost w/ a JRSC and within a week i started losing my converter and 3rd gear clutch...

i'll get some estimated power handling numbers tomorrow...

[ 01-21-2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: TooleBox ]

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also a chip is a good idea as well. the chip will firm the line preassure improving the shifts/strength of the trans and clutch grabbing ability

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea my tranny is already starting to act wierd: Wierd Tranny. I dunno whats wrong with it. Anyways I'm saving for my next set of upgrades(Chip/UD-Pulleys/Short Headers,Flexpipe,Hi-Flowing Cat) right now. I think I may save a little more so I can get these great tranny goodies.

·
Registered
647 Posts
will they be changing the gearin in it? like say drop in the euro gearing or some thing? if they need any more cores i will be glad to let them have another one

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol... no gearing changes... would be a good idea though

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I think that this is great news Kevin. Is the company going offer a shift improver kit for the focus? I know that B&M makes these for the Mustangs, but nothing for the Focus, Or just the complete build up?

[ 01-21-2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: zetecinside ]

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
unfortunately not. as of now, nobody makes a shift kit for the focus

1 - 20 of 59 Posts