Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Last weekend i installed a new lower motor mount and changed my oil when i noticed the Passenger Brake, Wheel, and CV axle boot were covered in grease. My only thoughts are it has to be the new CV axle that was installed only about 6 months ago. I didn't do it myself and had a shop I wasn't familiar with perform it, since i had just moved cross country. My old CV passenger boot was completely torn open and likely leaked everywhere. So I am trying to figure out if maybe it was left over grease from a combination of the install and not cleaning up after the old one torn, or it is in fact the new (ford oem cv axle too) is leaking already. I am leaning towards the second one because grease was all over the new boot, I don't see how grease would be all over the new boot it it wasn't leaking, but hopefully wrong. I cleaned everything up so i will be monitoring if more grease comes out. Also, after cleaning everything up i did not see any tears and the seal looked good to me at least.

I have some questions regarding the situation if anyone thinks it is the new cv axle leaking:

1) Should I try putting a new clamp on? If so do i add more grease? have no idea how you do that, never installed a cv axle, sure there is a how too somewhere though
2) Or just replace it? Very frustrating if so considering the cost i incurred having the new one installed
3) If i replaced it should the ford warranty cover the part at least? Or for something like this would they blame the person/shop that installed it. Might be the one time i get screwed over for buying parts independent of the shop parts since the work is not warranted when I do that
4) Just keep going on the cv axle until it goes bad? I know it likely won't last to long with less grease and now water/dirt can probably get in. Which then drives me nuts knowing something is not properly working

thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would clean everything in the area, especially the CV boot. If you don't find any damage on the boot, you could check it periodically to see if it really is leaking. Saddly, I have seen mechanic's work that was left quite greasy. If you decide you need to redo the clamp, it is critical that all grease be removed from the inner surface of the boot flange where it touches the CV joint and the outer surface of the CV joint. If there is any grease in that area at all, no clamp will be able to keep them from sliding apart.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2
8,197 Posts
How much grease is under there? If there's a bunch, most of the grease may already be gone from the CV and you might be doing damage every time you drive it. Take it for a nice highway speed drive and inspect it soon to see if you can pinpoint any potential leaks. Oh, and sometimes you won't ever see a split or tear in a CV boot until you get the thing removed and under good light.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much grease is under there? If there's a bunch, most of the grease may already be gone from the CV and you might be doing damage every time you drive it. Take it for a nice highway speed drive and inspect it soon to see if you can pinpoint any potential leaks. Oh, and sometimes you won't ever see a split or tear in a CV boot until you get the thing removed and under good light.
It seemed like alot of grease to me. Took tons of rags to clean it all up. The grease was covered all over the "inside" side (if that makes any sense) of the brake, along with alot all over the wheel and the boot itself. I couldn't even see the clamp itself. I cleaned it all last week before posting because i had access to a lift at the time when i saw it. Unfortunately already have been driving on it for 6 months now. I didn't even notice till last weekend when i changed out my rear motor mount. I haven't had a chance to take a look other then just through the wheel since i cleaned it up last weekend since i live in a condo with only street parking so it's hard to work on my car unless i take it to a do it yourself garage i started going to.

The boot seemed like it was clamped on there well, but i have zero experience with swapping out cv axles so i don't know what to look for regarding the clamp/seal. I did see my old cv axle and that was split wide open so maybe the mechanic just didn't clean anything up after installing the new one, but i don't see how it would then be covered all over the new boot.

Since it sounds like it is possible i lost all my grease already, should i try re greasing/reclamping? Or just wait to see if more comes out and know for sure it is really leaking? I don't even know if you can do that with it still installed. If I have to take it out i will likely just replace it at that point. haha so frustrating.

thanks for the input/help

·
Camera 1, Camera 2..Camera 1, Camera 2
8,197 Posts
Oh yeah, if you have grease all over the new half shaft boot, then there's an issue and it's not old grease from the old half shaft. Centrifugal force proves it's not from the old one. Really, you would need to re-pack it and if it's losing that much grease, it's not leaking from between the boot and CV seal - sounds like there's a split somewhere and you need a new boot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clean it and take a short drive and inspect again immediately, look for pinholes and cracks.

-Steve
Oh yeah, if you have grease all over the new half shaft boot, then there's an issue and it's not old grease from the old half shaft. Centrifugal force proves it's not from the old one. Really, you would need to re-pack it and if it's losing that much grease, it's not leaking from between the boot and CV seal - sounds like there's a split somewhere and you need a new boot.
Thanks for the input. I will try to take it to a lift on Friday and see if I can see any new evidence since I cleaned it a couple weekends go. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.