Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Circle Performance, www.circleperformance.com in Massachusetts has posted dyno test results conducted in June. A Ford Ranger version Duratec 2.3 fitted with mechanical fuel injection, belt-drive higher lift cams, a dry sump oil system, forged high compression pistons (14 1/2 to 1), forged rods, a steel crankshaft and burning pure methanol alcohol is making about 320 peak h.p. at 7500 rpm.
At 6100 rpm the engine makes about 280 h.p at 240 ft/lbs torque. This engine is naturally aspirated...no boost!!

I understand that Circle has not performed any headwork. No porting and polish and still using stock valves and springs. Their engines are for sale.

See dyno test at: http://www.circleperformance.com/images/image_gbl/DTKX033.BMP

Regards,
Gerry Dedonis
Kansas Racing Products Inc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
and burning pure methanol alcohol...
ya know. i would like 320 hp in my focus right now and im not denying the work they did (320 outta that engine is fresh as hell) but when will we get some things that would be more street applicapable. cuz uhh, im not paying out the arse for methanol street driving, would you?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm...a buck and a half to two bucks a gallon for methanol really gonna set you back?

You're right. Methanol is not the best fuel for a street driver. To many problems. My intent is to show how Circle and other builders have to do very little to this Duratec engine to achieve great results. Most midget race cars are not allowed to use gasoline and must use "antique" mechanical fuel injectors. However, other components, like higher compression forged pistons, connecting rods, steel crankshaft and a few other improvements for reliability can be used in many applications...street, strip, road-racing or circle-track.

Just wait until the headwork is complete. Simulated dyno runs on the computer are estimating 400 h.p. at 9500 rpm.

Regards,
Gerry Dedonis

·
Registered
12 Posts
NICE.

ya know. i dont know much that could mess with a focus pushing 400hp.

is there a waiting list, sign up sheet.....

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
not to mention you cant leave any alcohol laiden in your fuel system/tank, b/c of its high corrosive properties.

does suck though that some1 couldnt do more with the zetec NA. i mean 2 cars in race trim just breakin 210whp or whateva...sounds quite weak, figure some1 would have figure out 225 if not 240, 250.

-Ult

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

Im seeing a rwd conversion with the horns sticking out the left fender

mmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im seeing a rwd conversion with the horns sticking out the left fender

mmmmmmmmmmm
Those are just the "test" venturis. Kind of ugly but they work for R & D purposes. Same for the stock coils on top of the cam cover. As for rear-drive or a transaxle conversion, Altech Precision, www.quad4rods.com makes bellhousings and adapters for the Duratec, Zetec and Quad 4 GM engines. John also has conversion pieces to use a carburetor and a few choices for ignition that don't require the use of a computer.

I provided the basic long block engine shown in the old photo (taken in June of 2002). $800.dollars plus trucking from Ford-Detroit gets you a stock long block Duratec. $1000.dollars buys a new in-crate Zetec. A portion of each sale to a FJ member goes back to the FocalJet website.

Thanks Ron!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm going to hijack this post a bit, but could you tell me what products you guys use on your Midget Zetecs that can be used in a street engine without ruining driveablity?

I'm mainly interested in internals...

Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to hijack this post a bit, but could you tell me what products you guys use on your Midget Zetecs that can be used in a street engine without ruining driveablity?

I'm mainly interested in internals...

Thanks
Actually the USAC Focus Midgets and the SCCA Formula Zetec road racers are required to use a stock sealed 2.0 Zetec engine. The only improvement to the internals is stronger connecting rod fasteners. Both vehicles are very light...900 pounds, so a 160-180 h.p. Zetec is adequate.

One company, S.C.R.E.A.M. is the only supplier of converted USAC Focus midget engines. A Zetec is fitted with mechanical fuel injectors, a dry sump oil system and some sort of computerless ignition. Quicksilver Engine in Frederick, Maryland provides the Zetecs for the SCCA Formula Zetec road racers. They do use electronic fuel injection ( multple venturi ), a dry sump oil system and a computer for engine management.

Quicksilver is also building the Duratec 2.3 engines for the new entry-level "Formula SCCA" class. A chassis that can be fitted with a full body or an open-wheel formula body and is powered by a 2.3 Duratec. See:
http://www.scca-enterprises.com/formula_sportsracer.html

Thanks and regards,
Gerry Dedonis

·
Registered
860 Posts
$800.dollars plus trucking from Ford-Detroit gets you a stock long block Duratec
Ok, I know what 'long-block' means...But what exactly does it mean to Ford-Detroit?? ...What (accessories, etc) would come with the engine??

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Perhaps I should have typed from Ford's warehouse located in Detroit? Check with Biker16 here on FocalJet as he has visited the warehouse.

Engines include block, crankshaft, pistons, timing chain, gears , oil pan, oil pump, complete head with cams, valves springs, top and front cam covers, water pump, fuel rail, fuel injectors, wiring harness and intake manifold. Never included is a starter, alternator, exhaust manifold and EEC computer.

Occasionally, some of the small exterior components are missing or damaged from handling accidents. This is one reason that Ford sells these engines rather than repairing then installing them into a car or truck and why my company offers them as a long block engine and not complete. Other reasons include engines that are pulled from the assembly line and inspected for quality control. Some are installed in test benches where they are put through simulated operations ( no destructive testing! ) others are disassembled to check for tolerances and proper assembly procedures. The disassembled engines can be bought too if someone just wanted a block, head or crankshaft.

There are also complete engines or transmissions. Ones that Ford deems to be surplus. Currently, Ford has several hundred complete 2.0 Zetecs meant to be installed into 2001 Ford Escapes or Mazda Tributes. They are nearly identical to a Focus Zetec and are packaged in crates. Also, there are several thousand new ATX-75 automatic transmissions from surplus 2001 Focus cars and a handful (4-5) MTX-75 manual gearboxes ( no clutch housing ).

Regards,
Gerry Dedonis

·
Registered
803 Posts
How much do they sell an MTX-75 for and what would be involved in slapping one on an ATX?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much do they sell an MTX-75 for and what would be involved in slapping one on an ATX?
These are the gearboxes only...no clutch housing. You would have to find that piece along with the internals... clutch, pressure plate, disc, throw-out bearing, flywheel, pedal etc.

Perhaps you should check in the Team Tech Forum for more specifics. Oh yes, the gearboxes are $450 dollars each.
Regards,
Gerry

·
Registered
860 Posts
Engines include block, crankshaft, pistons, timing chain, gears , oil pan, oil pump, complete head with cams, valves springs, top and front cam covers, water pump, fuel rail, fuel injectors, wiring harness and intake manifold. Never included is a starter, alternator, exhaust manifold and EEC computer.
...Thank you for clarifying that...

·
Banned
1,936 Posts
i'd like to eventually see dyno results taht i can relate to. like 100, 100 or better yet 93 octane gas. that's when i can see the usefulness of this engine. even tho i'm not doubting you

have you people compared t to the Zetec? just going ahead and doing all that work and not having anything to compare it to is like saying that you have a computer that is the best even tho there is no other on on the market...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd like to eventually see dyno results that I can relate to. Like 100, 100 or better yet 93 octane gas. That's when I can see the usefulness of this engine. Even tho I'm not doubting you.

Have you people compared it to the Zetec? Just going ahead and doing all that work and not having anything to compare it to is like saying that you have a computer that is the best even tho there is no other on on the market...
That's a fair question. Here are 2 year old dyno results from the 2.0 liter version Duratec fitted into road racing cars and using pump gasoline. The intake and exhaust have been replaced but the engine's internals remain stock. The engine management system is limiting the output to about 190 h.p. as it would overpower the driveline and ability of the chassis!
http://www.sports2000.co.uk/pro_series_engine.htm
http://www.minister-power.com

I believe there are also dyno results on two Duratec-related websites, http://www.duratecperformance.com and http://www.duratecperformance.co.uk

And yes, My company has compared various engines...OEM and dedicated race engines and the cost to modify them. Currently, the Duratec is the best and cheapest investment to produce the most power per pound of engine. The Duratec weighs about 200 pounds and a Zetec about 245. The Zetec will be phased out of production to be replaced by the Duratec. The Duratec is based on a proven Cosworth Formula 1 race design. The Zetec...well??

Regards,
Gerry Dedonis
http://www.kansasracingproducts.com

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Gerry I have to applaud your patience. You've had to say the same things over and over again for as long as I've been on this board. You've always been even-tempered and always helpful.

Heh, i cna't even recall you mentioning the search button (though it would've been applicable several times).

Here's to some of this engine's potential making it into OUR cars.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really the person to applaud is Biker16. He was the first to provide information about the Duratec over two years ago. I was on a mission to learn when I knew that these could be purchased for a reasonable cost. My company is always searching engines that have great performance potential with very little work.

Thanks to Cosworth for designing the Duratec! Thanks to Ford for building it!

Regards,
Gerry

1 - 20 of 30 Posts