Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to share some exciting news with y'all. In about 8 weeks, a new product is going to be launched that will hopefully make tuning big HP cars with RETURNLESS fuel systems a less daunting task.

The product is called the Afterburner-eFPC or "electronic Fuel Pressure Controller". It is basically a serial-tunable, electronic fuel pressure regulator (fuel management unit) for RETURNLESS fuel systems.

The Afterburner-eFPC allows the user to create maps of fuel pressure versus engine speed and throttle position. The adjustments can be made in 1% increments, in 400rpm intervals from idle to redline (200-10,200rpm).

There are two maps in the "Stage1" device, one for part-throttle cruise situations and the other for WOT conditions.

The "Stage2" device has the capability to store two separate tunes (i.e. 4 tables).

The "Stage3" device has the same capabilities as the Stage2 product but also has a nitrous solenoid driver controlled by an internal "window" switch, WOT switch, and fuel pressure sensing switch. Therefore, this kit can be used to provide super safe fuel enrichment for dry nitrous kits without additional peripherals.

The "Stage4" device, which will be released next spring, will have an auxiliary input for monitoring boost level and the user will be able to create maps of FP vs. RPM/WOT or FP vs. BOOST. The "Stage3" kit will make use of a 2 or 3-bar GM-style MAP sensor. This is similar in functionality to a classical FMU but much more accurate and flexible AND designed specifically for the RETURNLESS-style fuel system.

This product is currently under beta test. Stage1 and Stage2 product releases should be sometime in November. Stage3 and Stage4 devices will be released in Spring of 2003. Hopefully, this device will help tuners tame the RETURNLESS fuel system.

Just so you can get an idea of the results possible with this device, check out this dynograph where I tuned my '03 Cobra with 2.93" pulley. The blue line is stock tune and the red line is after tuning with the Afterburner-eFPC: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16763

For more information or for comments, please contact us via: [email protected] or post 'em here.

Cheers,

Mark Chiappetta

[ 09-29-2002, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: mjchip ]

·
Registered
836 Posts
Whats up? Thanks for the help with all the questions i asked about the mafterburner. Anyway this might tie into the mafterburner system?......Russell

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
So, what is the difference with this and the MAFterburner?

This just controls fuel pressure where MAFterburner will control the actual Fuel?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Russell:
Whats up? Thanks for the help with all the questions i asked about the mafterburner. Anyway this might tie into the mafterburner system?......Russell
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Russell,

How did you make out after our phone call?

This system can be used in conjunction with the MAFterburner without any negative interactions.

Mark

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Jays2000ZX3:
So, what is the difference with this and the MAFterburner?

This just controls fuel pressure where MAFterburner will control the actual Fuel?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi,

Well, in a nutshell, the MAFterburner is a tool used to easily and precisely recurve a MAF transfer function and the Afterburner-eFPC is a fuel pressure map tuner.

Both will have impact on air/fuel ratio.

Hope this helps,

Mark

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Will you have anything that alters timing in the near future?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I will probably be getting to that by next summer.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by mjchip:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Russell:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Russell,

How did you make out after our phone call?

This system can be used in conjunction with the MAFterburner without any negative interactions.

Mark
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The phone call helped alot. Unfortunatly i haven't been able to get on the dyno. Thank you....Russell

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We now have some preliminary information up on our website. Please check it out at: www.mafterburner.com

Cheers,

MJ

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
Stage 4 (according to the web site, sounds like Stage 3 according to your post) running the MAP sensor could be useful for tuning light boost applications (AC Stage II, maybe Stage III? Gude kit?, etc.). I'd be interested to see where it wired into the system. If it affects timing then it's a no go but if it's after the computer and interfacing with the fuel pump it just might work. At a certain point you'd still need to up the injectors to be able to flow more fuel which means re-calibrating the MAF, and then you're in trouble with timing.

Any change of getting an integrated Stage 4 version of this that also does the MAFterburner functions? That'd hopefully save some money as well as make for an easier to manage package under the hood/dash.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
Most people need a chip anyway(timing,fuel,RPM,speed lim,egr,etc) and all of fuel tuning he is talking about can be done in a chip

My question is why buy both

i would say on a stock focus or even a mod. one that there would not be 1 to 4 hp from playing with the fuel

We had a focus on the dyno yesterday that did 133hp at the wheels and there was nothing i could of done with fuel to improve his hp

i would be willing to give anyone that buys one free dyno time to prove me wrong

Is that fair enough

tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by CharlesWA:
Stage 4 (according to the web site, sounds like Stage 3 according to your post) running the MAP sensor could be useful for tuning light boost applications (AC Stage II, maybe Stage III? Gude kit?, etc.). I'd be interested to see where it wired into the system. If it affects timing then it's a no go but if it's after the computer and interfacing with the fuel pump it just might work. At a certain point you'd still need to up the injectors to be able to flow more fuel which means re-calibrating the MAF, and then you're in trouble with timing.

Any change of getting an integrated Stage 4 version of this that also does the MAFterburner functions? That'd hopefully save some money as well as make for an easier to manage package under the hood/dash.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi,

Yeah sorry about getting Stage 3 and 4 reversed but it was late and I was tired.

Anyway, this device does not affect timing. It simply allows the PCM's target fuel pressure to be modified under various conditions.

In the STAGE1-3 devices, you can modify fuel pressure vs. RPM/TPS in 1% increments over 400rpm intervals from idle to redline. The STAGE4 device takes additional input from a MAP sensor and can have a fuel pressure vs. Boost map. Unlike traditional FMUs for return-style fuel systems, you are not limited to a preset function (not stuck with a non-linear pressure vs. boost response).

As of this time, we have no plans to integrate the MAFterburner prouduct with the eFPC.

As far having to increase injector size, YES, at some point you will have to increase injector size. However, the stock injectors are usually rated at around 38psi of differential pressure (manifold vs. fuel rail). If you increase the pressure, they will flow more fuel (to a point). This is actually one of the many applications for this device.

Thanks for the feedback,

Mark

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by 1turbofocus:
Most people need a chip anyway(timing,fuel,RPM,speed lim,egr,etc) and all of fuel tuning he is talking about can be done in a chip

My question is why buy both

i would say on a stock focus or even a mod. one that there would not be 1 to 4 hp from playing with the fuel

We had a focus on the dyno yesterday that did 133hp at the wheels and there was nothing i could of done with fuel to improve his hp

i would be willing to give anyone that buys one free dyno time to prove me wrong

Is that fair enough

tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Tom,

Let me try to answer your question, ask you a couple, and comment on your statements:

1. Why buy a chip and this product? The main reason is simply this: Our products put tuning power in the hands of the end user for a reasonable price. Sure, many people can just send away for a chip but the down side is just that.....if they need changes later on down the line, they need to send their chip back for a reburn. Also, there are specific applications where our individual products are better suited solutions than a chip. The upside is that chips can control many more functions than our individual products.

FYI, technically speaking, the eFPC *is* a single function CHIP. It not only has Flash memory like a standard chip that plugs in to service port of the PCM but also a 20MHz co-processor on board to perform the complex functions required of this device.

2. Are you claiming that you can perform this fuel pressure mapping function as well (i.e. with as much flexibility) using a chip? What are the input variables and what is the resolution of the PCMs fuel pressure map on the Focus?

3. You say: "i would say on a stock focus or even a mod. one that there would not be 1 to 4 hp from playing with the fuel" You're missing the point. This is not a bolt-on HP modification and we NEVER make any claims regarding power increase. It is a flexible tuning device period!

4. Your case of the 133hp Focus is irrelavent to this discussion. The fact that you couldn't get any more power from it by tuning air/fuel does not validate or invalidate our product.

5. Your challenge is interesting. If you are a professional tuner, why don't you do like the other tuners do, buy one and evaluate it. After using it, if you don't think that it's a good tool, send it back for a full refund. Then at least you can post an educated response here on FJ regarding the product and would sound less like you were just taking pot shots at it.

Cheers,

Mark Chiappetta

[ 09-29-2002, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: mjchip ]

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
how much would this cost????

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by hotfocus:
how much would this cost????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Retail price for the STAGE1 kit is tentatively set at $300. For more complete pricing/availability information, please see: www.mafterburner.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by OneHigh-focus:
mjchip
@ Tom
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
In your answer #4 are you saying that if this guy bought your product that he would of seen any gain or got and better fuel A/F than he had

If no than it does validate it ,It would of been a waste of money for HIM to buy your product

The mass air on these cars work very well for controling the fuel and keeping the A/F in check

i am making as much or more HP than an one on this board and many others and this product will do nothing for me that we cant do in the chip

The stock injectors hit 100% duty cycle at about 130 to 135 hp and about 6200 rpm ,By raising the fuel psi this drops the injector duty cycle SO NO FUEL IS REALY ADDED

what do you do about the ECU feed back loop that cuts back injector duty cycle for elevated fuel PSI

I was not taking potshots just wanting every one to understand ,and the free dyno time is still there to anyone who wants it ,I dont want to tune it this would not be a fair test ,the guy that buys it needs to tune his car ,is this not what is it made for .

Tom

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by mjchip:
If you increase the pressure, they will flow more fuel (to a point).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Ford systems use a feedback control loop that will cut the duty cycle on the injectors in response to an elevated fuel pressure (and increase duty cycle for an drop in FP). If you do not interrupt the fuel pressure sensor signal to the ECU you will not see any net gain in fuel delivery with an elevated fuel pressure.

You can increase the fuel delivery range of the system by increasing fuel pressure but the MAF has only slightly more range than the injectors. I understand from this forum (I have not witnessed this myself) that the ECU will cut the fuel when the MAF exceed 5.0 volts. So extending the range of the injectors with fuel pressure buys you nothing without extending the range of the MAF as well.

Mike

[ 09-29-2002, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: TheChipGuy ]

1 - 20 of 73 Posts