Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a centerforce duel friction clutch and a FSflywheel put on, drives awsome, be sitting at a light a the rpms fall and it starts puttering and backfireing somtimes stalls
but starts back up and drives perfect into the sunset. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mine stalls sometimes with the fidanza flywheel

But it could be a number of things. I dunno, you throwing any Check Engine Lights?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my check engine light came on a little while after I got my car back(expected it to for some reason
)then I took my diablo chip out and the light went off then ran like crap, hard to drive even
. put the chip back in ran better light came off. Got platinum plugs tossed the bosch in the garbage. runs good still wont idle, check engine light cam back on the way to work
. Could it be a sensor or somthing?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got back from autozone, the guy said it seemed like it was running to lean, sure enough code came up p0171. How do I stop it from running to lean?

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Well, there is a problem somewhere. Lean, well that could be a number of things. Some Injen intakes run too lean. A header leak can cause the car to run lean. A bad or incorrect file for the Diablo chip could cause a lean code, too. Help me out here, there must be something going on that you've not mentioned.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think its the chip, because I took it out yesterday and it made my car worse but the light went off put it back in and it was back to the original rough idle, light came back on today. I checked the headers they dont seem to be leaking they look good. I have a 65mm throttle body, fscool- flo intake, a tornado, udp, high-flo cat, flex-pipe, and a magnaflow. sometimes i'll be sitting at a light and it will be idleing totally fine. Then the RPMs just fall and it starts running rough. Then it'll stall. Most of the time it runs rough.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Did any of this dying happen to be the last few days when the midwest temps have been around 100 degrees? If the outside temp is 100 the under hood temp is surely to be 120 or higher...could it be the fact the the intake is a short ram? I had a AEM shortram for a while and mine would do the same thing in the heat, but it wouldn't die...Did you reset the computer each time you installed/unistalled the chip???

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the temps have been around 85. But the wierd thing is that the engine light came on about 20 miles after being installed but the rough idle happend 1or2 miles down. It drives and shifts perfect Its crazy.

·
Registered
970 Posts
P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. For lean and rich DTCs:
Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system.
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
EGR system:
Leaking gasket.
Stuck EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
Base Engine:
Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.
A SHRTFT-1,2 PID value between -25% to +35% and a LONGFT-1,2 PID value between -35% to +35% is acceptable. Reading beyond these values indicate a failure.

i had this hose and it turned out that i had a hole in a hose coming from the pcv valve to the intake manifold, check that out.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update: just out driven everything good untill I got home and let it idle after about 30sec the cooling fan came on and it started its same old puttering. It didnt stall because I shut it off before it could. I also have a torado fuel saver, think it could be that?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
OK... get rid of the tornado!

secondly... check all your vacuum hoses and everythign on the back of your intake.... check your MAFS...

How soon after the clutch and flywheel did this happen? if from the moment you left the place... take it back cuz they didn't do something right.

·
Registered
295 Posts
P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. For lean and rich DTCs:
Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system.
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
EGR system:
Leaking gasket.
Stuck EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm or EVR.
Base Engine:
Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.
A SHRTFT-1,2 PID value between -25% to +35% and a LONGFT-1,2 PID value between -35% to +35% is acceptable. Reading beyond these values indicate a failure.

i had this hose and it turned out that i had a hole in a hose coming from the pcv valve to the intake manifold, check that out.
What about checking the Idle Air Control, or the Idle Air motor?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update: just found a vacuume hose about to fall out pushed it in, reset the ecu, and now it runs PERFECT. Thanks everyone for their advice.
You really think tornados are that bad?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You really think tornados are that bad?
Does a bear shi* in the woods?

Yeah, they do nothing, and you're the first person i've ever met that bought one

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
yeah seriously, good thing you got your problem fixed, but take the damn Tornado out, it's for your own good that you're told this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts