Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a red SES Focus and have some questions on rust prevention of these cars. I live in the snowy midwest area so we get tons of salt in the winter. I did not get the undercoating and wonder if I should go back for it. Is an undercoating a good thing or overhyped? How do the Focuses hold up against rusting?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I got the undercoating, not sure if it was worth it or not, but I would suggest you keep the back end of your car clean as much as possible. My trunk lid has rust spots already and it's a 2002.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wax your car as often as possible. I live in Newfoundland Canada where we have all four seasons in one day. I had a 2000 focus which I traded on a 2005 zxw ses. The 2000 focus never a spot of rust to be found in 5 years. Get yourself a good buffer, take your time, wax in the shade and in a garage during winter, and spread wax everywhere (inside your door panels, trunk lid, under your hood, etc)

·
Registered
434 Posts
in addition to a good wax regimen (the most important thing!) also take care to notice any damage to your paint from door dings and rock chips...clean the area and paint it as soon as possible to protect the metal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also live in Newfoundland Canada and have rust proofed my 2001 and now my 2003 Focus. In Canada we have Rust Check, which is a once a year treatment sprayed under the car and inside all body panels.It works great, but is a bit messy if you are prone to popping your hood and showing off a spotless engine bay.To work, there must always be a slight film of protectant on everything. It costs about $100 a year ,which is comparable to one time $500 treatments which crack over time a trap water. By the way, troy10 were in Nfld are you? I'm in St. John's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I do go back for the undercoating, should I go back to the dealer or can I save a lot going elsewhere? Where can you get Rust Check? I'm generally a lazy car owner. Waxed a car once in my life and did a very bad job of it. Hoped the Focus is more rust resistent.

·
[FJ] Special Ed.
8,294 Posts
meh all cars are basically the same when it comes to rust resistance, they are all made out of the same materials.

just remember to do these thing regulalry:

1. when your washing your car, make sure you open the doors, and the trunk/hood, and just wipe down all the places that dirt collect in there.

2. spray the underside of your car when you wash it, to get any loose dirt off, especially in your bumper area because huge spider nests were in mine when I replaced the back bumper.

3. buy a Stainless Steel ehxaust so it will never rust for the life of the car.

its all in how you clean the thing, wax it at least 2-4 times a year.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I got the undercoating, not sure if it was worth it or not, but I would suggest you keep the back end of your car clean as much as possible. My trunk lid has rust spots already and it's a 2002.
ZTS models from 2000 to 2002 had some issues mainly with the chrome strip and it rubbing against the paint, making it easier to rust.

I would invest in having an undercoating treatment. It will help to deaden sound, but it will also protect the sheetmetal from flying chunks of rocks and such that could make the metals prone to rust. You can go back to the dealership for it, or you can probably find out the detail shop that applies it for them and bypass the dealer altogether.

As for a rustproofing treatment, shop around for a reputable shop and treatment.

In general, keep the car clean...that goes for both winter and summer. Good quality waxes and polishes will help to protect the finish. During the winter months, go to car washes that feature underbody washes. If you can get to a self-serve wash bay, it's good to take the nozzle and give your wheel wells a good spray of soap and water. Touch up any paint chips, especially if they are going to be subject to salt spray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts