Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=81

Yes, I know that usually when the handbrake is loose, it's time for new pads, new drums or rotors on the back, or in some cases, time for new handbrake cables. However, my pads had a bit of life left in them, and I'm broke, so I tightened the handbrake today and documented it for gits'n'shiggles. The article is riddled with disclaimers and information about other things to check before tightening.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I read the procedure to adjust the handbrake on Focus Hacks with some interest.
The posted procedure is very involved and I believe not necessary.
All I do is pop the handbrake boot ring in the console, slide the boot and boot ring up the brake lever and voila there is access to the adjustment screw for the hand brake. I have also put an extra nut on top of the existing nut for locking the adjustment -that’s in place of the cheap piece of metal that Ford used. My car is a 2001 model Focus and I have used this method to adjust my handbrake many times over the years.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
How dare you naysay about a FocusHack!

Hear! Hear! How dare ye? How dare ye naysay a FocusHacK?

Good Lord; that's like telling the Pope to go schkrew hisself...

Lynch t3h no0b! ROFL.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
you are just in time my e brake just decided to stop working tonight. is that normal for it to just stop? work fine one day and be no good on any hill the next? the shoes are pretty new less than a year and the drums are freshly turned

·
Registered
76 Posts
usually when the handbrake is loose, it's time for new pads, new drums or rotors on the back
First of all, this is usually not the case. As the pads of the rear drum brakes wear out, the system automatically aligns itself to the new situation and the handbrake handle becomes loose or ineffective in time. This is not always an indicator of the need for pad replacement or so... The handle must be simpliy readjusted but...
The method described here is too complicated. We say in Turkish "showing your ear the opposite way"
That means, you try to show your left ear using your right hand and going around your neck. This is used when someone makes simple things unecessarily difficult.
To tighten the handbrake, just pull out the handbrake handle boot. You will see the nut to tighten.

But I must admit that I am not 100% against the described somehow complicated procadure because if you do it time to time, you will be able to clean the inside of the middle console. This is a clear plus for the procedure. There is a clear minus though: There are the delicate connection wires for the airbag sensor module. You must take care for not damaging them.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
My '05 ST came with the e-brake lever a little loose, and because there is only the one nut on there stock, I think it's prone to come loose over time. I know I haven't worn out anything on my car yet & my e-brake wouldn't even keep my car parked steady on a hill. So a little tightening on that nut got me all fixed up. I had also thought about putting a second locker-nut there.

I think I'd like my focus to have two nuts there- just to keep it tight.

·
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To tighten the handbrake, just pull out the handbrake handle boot. You will see the nut to tighten.
Maybe my wife spilled some drink or something in my center console, but my e-brake boot didn't come off for nothing. You can see my shifter boot was easy to pull out, but try as I might, the only way I could tighten my handbrake was to take the whole thing apart. I didn't bother seeing if there were any fasteners on the handbrake boot while the console was out.

I did notice the same phenomonon on KC_FOCII's 2003 ZX3 though, when focusspelledbackwards borrowed it, he complained of the looseness of the handbrake, and again I couldn't get the boot loose.

Edit: On a side note, my handbrake boot is torn the hell up, I probably could have fit the socket and extension through one of the holes on the side of the boot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Edit: On a side note, my handbrake boot is torn the hell up, I probably could have fit the socket and extension through one of the holes on the side of the boot.
That's the way which should be chosen by a Focus_hacker
You could also replace the nut with a bigger wheel-nut assembly which would allow to continuously adjust the handbrake force (like the trim wheels in an aircraft ****pit)

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
will this set the shoes out farther or will it just tighten the cable
edit- i forgot to mention that the right rear locks when its pulled far but it wont hold. well locks on gravel

·
Registered
41 Posts
If anyone wants to go through that envolved procedure to adjust the hand brake be my guest. In the Haynes manual and from what I remember from the Ford service manual, unclipping the parking brake boot is the way to go. But on the other side one might find spare change and petrified fries in the consule. You will need a snack after all the effort put in to adjust the parking brake following the Focushack way.

·
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If anyone wants to go through that envolved procedure to adjust the hand brake be my guest. In the Haynes manual and from what I remember from the Ford service manual, unclipping the parking brake boot is the way to go. But on the other side one might find spare change and petrified fries in the consule. You will need a snack after all the effort put in to adjust the parking brake following the Focushack way.
Well if I ever run into you, I'll let you pull my handbrake boot from the console. If you break it you owe me a new one. I tried again today and it won't budge.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You cannot pull on the boot to remove the boot ring and boot from the console.
Here's how you remove the handbrake boot.

The boot ring has 2 notches at the sides about 1 inch from the front of the boot ring and one large notch at the back. The front notches lock the boot into the console. The boot ring goes into the console back first and then is pushed down and the front side notches lock it in place. (The boot is attached to the boot ring, which is plastic with 4 staples so handle it with care.)
So as to not damage the boot, take a small flat screwdriver (place it 1 inch from the front of the boot ring) and gently push it on the side BETWEEN the boot ring and the console at the same time gently pulling up on the boot in on that side as well. The boot ring should pop out from that side. Once you pop the one side the other side will come out on its own and the boot can then be pulled up the hand brake.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I removed my boot by hand when I had to remove my console to replace the shifter-bracket/mount thingy. (Cheap plastic!
)
I had no directions and was just winging it.
I squeezed the centers of the sides of the boot inward at the base, and it let go.
I have fingernails, so a flat blade screwdriver used gently, MAY be required, but I used no tools to remove mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts