Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just bought a new 05' ZX5 S for the Mrs. Auto/Air only accesories. Great Car! Overall Ford, good job!Car only has 300 mi. and the gas mileage(city)isn't all that great(22mpg). Will this improve w/breakin'? The OEM tires are Goodyears RSA's. I've come to the conclusion these tires are only so-so. Any thoughs for a replacement tire w/good ride/handling/wet & snow traction? What's w/this 5w-20 Oil? Hate to second guess Ford, but isn't a 5w-30 oil better? I plan on keeping the car a long time and it seems a 5w-30 oil will offer greater summer protection. Thanks. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Welcome to the Jet!

Foci aren't so great on mileage. It's one of their flaws, but obviously most of us think it's worth owning anyway.

I hear nothing but good things about the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. It's a performance all-season, with very good traction on wet, dry, or snowy terrain. I hear it has fairly good wear, too.

A few Duratec tuners have said that heavier weight oil is, indeed, warranted for the newer engines. Marcy Motorsport had a cam failure on track due to the OE oil weight, and now recommends 5w30 or heavier. A few Ford techs have told us that, in case of a warranty claim, Ford will only complain if the oil is lighter than recommended (i.e., 0w10), or if the recommended oil change interval is exceeded.

P.S.: Put an intake on it!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'll echo pitchblack's comment about the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S tires, with the warning that their snow traction isn't worth writing home about.

I've run either 0W-30 or 5W-30 ever since 2500 miles (I changed the factory fill at 500, then again at 2500 miles). 5W-20 was done for fuel mileage, not for any benefits to engine longevity.

I wouldn't be that concerned about your fuel mileage until it's got about 7500-10,000 miles on it. Plus it's the middle of summer (I'm sure the A/C is getting used a ton), and a lot of stop-and-go city driving tends to kill the mileage. Plus it's an autotragic.

Once it's broke in and out of the stop-and-go, you should be able to break 30mpg quite easily.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the Pirelli's are not available in 195/60/15. Has anyone tried Bridgestone's Turanza LS-H/Potenza Re-950 or Michelin XGT H-4's? (I'll wait till the RSA's are about half worn before buying new tires.) When it's time for an oil change I believe I'll use 5w-30 oil instead of the 5w-20. The new 136 hp 2 litre engine in this car is excellent. I would have liked a stick, but I really bought it for the Mrs. I don't really want to modify the car except perhaps adding a rear stabilizer bar. The factory spks. are not so good and I'm considering changing them for some Kenwood's or ? (Not too many spks. fit the front door because spk. depth is an issue.) Thanks!

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I don't really want to modify the car except perhaps adding a rear stabilizer bar.
Are you talking about a rear sway bar? I assume your vehicle is an S or SE model, which didn't come with one. Your best bet is to find a Focus in a junkyard or U-Wrench-It place, and pull the entire rear subframe. Some of the parts neccessary for the mounting brackets are welded onto it, so it's just easier to get one that came equipped with a bar. It's also possible to rig up homemade brackets that will work fairly well.

If you think that Duratec 20 is nice now, you're really missing out on the CAI. That factory intake is horrible. But, I can understand not wanting to deal with the induction noise on the wife's car.

Edit: I found my stock sound system to be quite nice. The head unit needs replacement under warranty every few months (domestics
), but the sound was great. Maybe they changed things for '05.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. Sway bar. S model. I was hoping it was a relatively easy addition. I think the first upgrade will be changing the spks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, first upgraded was tires. Bridgestone "Turanza" LS-H's. Great tire! Hoping w/break-in mileage will improve as it should. Did alot of research on the Motorcraft 5w-20 oil. I concluded it is a very good oil if you do not eexceed 4K miles. (I plan on changing oil/filter every 3K.) After warranty period is over I'll switch to a 5w-30 Synthetic bled or perhaps a full synthetic. I still I'm not completely convenced this 5w-20 oil is the the best for engine longevity?

·
Registered
340 Posts
They run a light weight oil for gas mileage purposes. Running a higher weight won't hurt nothing. I get horrible gas mileage for a 4cyl in the city but runs like a champ on the highway. As for tires...i don't know what you call snow but i live in alaska...we have two sets of tires for our cars up here. LOL

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Hi everyone. Just bought a new 05' ZX5 S for the Mrs. Auto/Air only accesories. Great Car! Overall Ford, good job!Car only has 300 mi. and the gas mileage(city)isn't all that great(22mpg). Will this improve w/breakin'? The OEM tires are Goodyears RSA's. I've come to the conclusion these tires are only so-so. Any thoughs for a replacement tire w/good ride/handling/wet & snow traction? What's w/this 5w-20 Oil? Hate to second guess Ford, but isn't a 5w-30 oil better? I plan on keeping the car a long time and it seems a 5w-30 oil will offer greater summer protection. Thanks. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
I haven't read what everyone said... but here ya go:

1) Gas mileage gets better as you break-in the car.

2) The "Screamin' Eagles" are complete garbage. I have some BF Goodrich Potenza G009's on right now, and I'm really happy in heavy rain and dry pavement alike. They were also some of the cheapest tires I could find for this car. I've also had good luck with Yokohama Avid H4S's, but they seemed to wear pretty quickly. They were good in the snow and rain.

3) I usually run Mobil-1 5w30. I drop to Mobil-1 5w20 in the winter. My car actually calls for 5w30 though.

As far as break-in goes, change the oil and filter between 250 and 500 miles, go with a normal oil at that point, not a synthetic. I use Castrol GTX in my other car, and it's a good non-synthetic. Valvoline and Motorcraft oils are also good. After you change the oil the first time (before 500 miles) drive it like you stole it to 1,000 miles, then change the oil and filter again using non-synthetic. At 3,000 miles, change the oil again, and you'll be on your oil rotation. You can go with a synthetic at that point.

I actually didn't wait till 3,000. I changed to Mobil-1 at 2,000 but otherwise I broke my car in as above. On my way to JetFest, I got 389 miles on a tank, and put 12.6 gallons into it. That's about 31 MPG or so. That is about the best mileage I've gotten out of my ZX3, but it's a 2.0 Zetec, you have a different engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your insights. I've heard really good things about Mobil-1. Is the reason to change oil/filter at low mileage is the filter can't trap very small metal particules and these will recirculate throughtout the engine? I understand the reason for waiting to use full synthetic oil till the engine is broken-in. Here in Virginia we really don't have too high summer temps. (though somewhat high humidity) and not much snow. For this reason I'm thinking a 5w-20 oil might be acceptable. (I called the dealer and they recommended the 5w-20. No big surprise!) I think if I had to choose between the Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend vs. the reg. Motorcraft dino 5w-30 oil, I'd choose the synthetic blend. Is the first oil change at low mileage really that critical? Should I do at 1000 or wait till 1.5/2k? Haven't broken-in a new car in quite a few yrs. Thanks!

·
6,880 Posts
Is the reason to change oil/filter at low mileage is the filter can't trap very small metal particules and these will recirculate throughtout the engine?
You just change it every time you change your oil. The first 1,000 miles of your engine are probably the worst as far as engine debris in the oil, though. It's $10 if you get an expensive K&N one, it's $5 or so if you get a motorcraft one. Don't go with FRAM.

I'm thinking a 5w-20 oil might be acceptable. (I called the dealer and they recommended the 5w-20. No big surprise!) or this reason I think if I had to choose between the Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend vs. the reg. Motorcraft dino 5w-30 oil, I'd choose the synthetic blend.
Mobil-1 makes a good 5w20 once you're broken in. I'd actually go with the non-synthetic motorcraft oil until you clear 1000 miles, then switch to whatever synthetic or blend you will use for the rest of the car's life.

Is the first oil change at low mileage really that critical? Should I do at 1000 or wait till 1.5/2k?
I'd seriously do my first oil change around 500 miles, then another one at 1,000, then the third one at 2,000 or 3,000 when you switch to synthetic, if you plan on doing so. The reason I say do do your first 3 oil changes so quickly is because of how much casting flash, burrs and other debris your engine puts into the oil when it's brand new.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use 5w20 castrol syntec blend and the falken ziex ze-512 is the best all season tire. It was rated better than the nero in comparison tests.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Thanks everyone for your insights. I've heard really good things about Mobil-1. Is the reason to change oil/filter at low mileage is the filter can't trap very small metal particules and these will recirculate throughtout the engine? I understand the reason for waiting to use full synthetic oil till the engine is broken-in. Here in Virginia we really don't have too high summer temps. (though somewhat high humidity) and not much snow. For this reason I'm thinking a 5w-20 oil might be acceptable. (I called the dealer and they recommended the 5w-20. No big surprise!) I think if I had to choose between the Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend vs. the reg. Motorcraft dino 5w-30 oil, I'd choose the synthetic blend. Is the first oil change at low mileage really that critical? Should I do at 1000 or wait till 1.5/2k? Haven't broken-in a new car in quite a few yrs. Thanks!
I don't know if it varies from engine to engine, but Ford does reccomend (can't spell that word today) using 5w-20. Mobil One finaly makes a full synthetic 5w-20 oil, and it's what I use (previously we had to use the 0w-20 because they didn't make the 5w-20).
Yes the first oil change is fairly critical. I didn't switch to synthetic until my third oil change around 2500/3000 miles.

And about the gas mileage, 22 is about what I get doing all city driving. Hasn't changed since I bought the car brand new.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can use 5w30, 5w40, and 10w30. Some oil change places and speed shops by me don't even carry 5w20.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I will use a heavier weight next summer. Seriously the 5w20 is only used for gas mileage and that's it. In the winter 5w30 is perfect also. In the summer 5w20 is way too thin in humid hot states. I will use 10w30 next summer without question. I may lose a very small amout of gas mileage but the added engine protection is well worth it. I was even told by my dealer to run thicker oil in the summer.

·
6,880 Posts
Suit yourself. Honestly, my engine calls for 5w30 and I have used 5w30 Mobil-1 since I switched to synthetic at around 3,000 miles, in winter I switch to 5w20. I know plenty who have only used 10w30 for the life of their car and people who only use 0w20, and honestly, there doesn't seem to be any problem with any of them.

Arguably, you should go by the sticker under your hood. This is what I usually recommend. Plus, if something goes amiss and oil is possibly to blame, proof of regular interval oil changes and reciepts for the weight of oil called for in the manual give a dealer less to argue about if warranty repairs are needed.

Note: Depending on model year and engine type, that sticker may say something else, like 5w20.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
You can use 5w30, 5w40, and 10w30. Some oil change places and speed shops by me don't even carry 5w20.
I change my own oil and save the money (since I use Mobil 1).
I don't understand why you would use anything else besides what's recomended without a good reason? You CAN purchase your own oil and have oil change places change it for you also.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts