Ford Focus Forum banner

New found power

2K views 89 replies 38 participants last post by  nazthug 
#1 ·
Well well well, the car is back in my hands, and i dont wanna park it

New stuff includes:

4.06 gears, new 1/2nd gear, new syncros 1-5, billet diff, act clutch, fidanza flywheel, stage 2.5 head(fc), heavily ported 2000 intake manifold, crower stage 2 cams, crower springs/tit. retainers, valves, .040 decked, cam gears and a nice new filter;)

Thnx to walter and billy for the help and hard work.

This thing, man oh man, screeeeeaammms.

I dont know what people say about flywheels and gears and all, and i dont care, however, this car in 1st/2nd gear is scary, it just goes, breaks traction and all from a roll in 1st. Come from a stop sign into a turn and gun it and watch the front slide out while both wheels are spinning wildly, this flywheel and gears make a HUGE difference in acceleration, and did i tell you it hits redline before you can press the gas pedal all the way down?
Scary fast revs.

You gotta shift fast too, the revs drop quick, gotta get used to it, but its awesome, it just feels like im driving a go cart or something.

Freeway pull is AMAZING, the car has tons of torque in 5th gear for passing, these cams are awesome. The clutch grabs instantly but the pedal feel is a bit softer then stock even. Great clutch.

4.06 gears are AWESOME guys, its really the best bang for the buck in acceleration. The flywheel actually tricks you, as you dont feel youre accelerating as fast, but it hits 60mph before you even know it, i still gotta learn to take off right, it will take some time. Launching with the flywheel is DEFINETLY harder, it wiill light the tires up instantly.

But on the gtech, im gettin 0-60 in mid 6's right now and thats with crappy take offs and NO launch, just a drive on, still a new clutch.

Overall, i am super happy, this will keep me over for a while until i want more power, but for what it is, its awesome, power from idle all the way up to 7100rpm, its great.

Next on the list is a thicker race header and possibly a bigger intake manifold.

Im gonna hit the dyno soon, expecting at least 160whp, hoping for about 165whp.

But from my old 145whp, its night and day in acceleration and passing power.

To walter, thnx for staying up late both saturday and sunday getting the car back together, you did a great job man, the car runs flawlessly, other than that broken plug, its awesome now, running home on 3 cylinders wasnt too bad.

Its time to break the 160whp barrier. Gotta go now, clean the car up and go break in the clutch some more

[ 09-30-2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

See less See more
#5 ·
actually, its a contour billet diff....no lsd for now, budget wouldnt allow another $550

Plus, i basically got the billet contour 1 for free, thats the only reason i did it, and its a ****LOAD beefier then the stock one, i looked at both.

The quaife was never put on, it was waiting and ready, but i just couldnt come up with the extra dough, its no biggy though, when i get enough spending money again, it will eventualy make its way in there, the labor is nothing for me....but as of now, its not really necesary, except for those corners, i underestimated the light flywheel, it really wants to let both tires lose, im not sure what the lsd would do to help in that situation, because its not just 1 wheel spining

But i figured it like this, at the track, im gonna be runing drag slicks anyway, and with those, the LSD really doesnt matter much, they hook up either way, and actually, dennis at FC has had better results with the contour open bilet diff on slicks.

The diff i think will be in part 2 of the upcoming list of mods, but for now, im slowing down a bit, gotta refill my checking account.

Im concentrating on cleaning the car up and straightening it out now, nader will tell you why

Im gonna redo the interior slightly and replace those stinky ass corbeaus with new ones, and hopefully they wont smell like **** Mr. Corbeau

Gonna get a svt blue/black theme going on the inside, subtle and dark, nothing ricey, believe this

Anyways, for now, im happy with the power, still gotta get used to how the car drives now, get some R compounds and hit up those tracks with turns along with nader, we're finally gonna get into it and enjoy the cars for a bit, instead of dumping more and more money into them.

For now, its
time

#6 ·
Congrats on all your new stuff - Seems like you are enjoying yourself thoroughly.

But, you said - "billet diff" - A Stock Diff, but billet?

No Quaife or any type fo LSD?

- Drew

#9 ·
i thought u bought nader's old head? That had st3 intake and st2 exhaust cam from crane? Besides, u mentioned in another thread that u were going w/ a "custom cam setup hand picked from crane". Why the switch to crower? oh, and what was wrong with your gears; were they broken in 1st and 2nd?

#11 ·
Don't you have the quaife just sitting there already? I can't believe you could wait, but $ limits are limits, of couse.

What have you gone with as far as injectors? Still using the TB and MAF with that new intake? When you say "heavily ported" 2000 intake, do they have any specifics as far as flow etc.?

Bro get the quaife in there, or at least use the term "dragstip" instead of "track" until then please!

Also what's with your gear/syncro wear? I know fast shifts don't have to be abusive shifts........
Anyway glad to hear you're still in the sweet sounding screaming N/A club!

#16 ·
Originally posted by nick:
Contour diff???!!! Those svt tour guys blow them once a month. There was one guy going on #4 in his tranny. Is the diff. beefed up internally or something? Good luck. Car sounds bad ass to! 160 at the wheels must feel good.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Naz is referring to the European MTX75 Contour tranny. The diff is billet steel not cast. These trannies also happen to have 4.06 gears in them.

#17 ·
Originally posted by Russell:
The stock contour diff sucks balls. I blew mine with a 75 shot.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so you went back to the stronger, cast focus piece with teeth 1/2 the size of the contour???

Nobody has blown even a stock diff on twice that power with huge slicks, so i think i will be alright with an even stronger, biger, thicker and billet piece off of the contour, thnx though for the input

#18 ·
Originally posted by nazthug:
Originally posted by Russell:
[qb]Nobody has blown even a stock diff on twice that power with huge slicks, so i think i will be alright with an even stronger, biger, thicker and billet piece off of the contour, thnx though for the input
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no but i broke it a while back with about 135whp on street tires racing...chipped a tooth, dealer replaced it under warranty

#20 ·
Originally posted by stealthzx3:
i thought u bought nader's old head? That had st3 intake and st2 exhaust cam from crane? Besides, u mentioned in another thread that u were going w/ a "custom cam setup hand picked from crane". Why the switch to crower? oh, and what was wrong with your gears; were they broken in 1st and 2nd?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it was naders old head, and it was MUCH reworked with hours and hours in porting, polishing, decking, valve wotk, valves, springs retainers and all that.

AFter more testing and comparing the stage 2 crowers turned out to flow more than even the stage 3 cranes in my aplication and rpm band, so i went with those.

The difference with naders old head and what it is now is incredible

#21 ·
Originally posted by MalibuBlueZx3:
I also have a question????

Did you install this yourself??? If so, was it difficult or managable?????

Also this sounds like you droped a crap load of money??? Do you mined disclosing the amount??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you ever saw the amount of work that went into this tranny rebuild, you would **** in your pants....just as i did.

NO WAY would i touch those parts of the tranny, every single piece of metal in that tranny was pulled apart. Only 1 person i trust to do this is walter from FC, this guy is incredible...the tranny runs better than it did brand new, much smoother and cleaner.

Yes, the diff is from the euro tranny, not many around these parts of the world, but you know me and hard to get parts go together

trust me, this diff will NOT BLOW OUT, i wish i took pics now that i think of it

As far as money goes, hard work gets you good money, its not very difficult. I worked my ass off ALL summer, every day and sometimes weekends on other jobs here and there, instead of baking in the sun, playing video games and sleeping in. I woke up at 6am every morning and came back at 5pm. So thats how "we" afford things. "We" earn money and so "we" spend money

It was quiet a large sum for all the work, but it was also alot of work. Plus, through good friends and great mechanics, it wasnt as bad as it could have been

Thnx for everyones help that was involved though, seriously.

I'll be hitting the drag strip and dyno soon, im very interested in seeing what my A/F is, because everyone with a similar package seems to be runing some sort of larger injectors, i am on the stock ones so far, and im sure im pushing them hard.

[ 09-30-2002, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

#22 ·
Congradu-f-ing-lations Nazthug. Sounds awesome and maybe I'll see you and that bad ride of yours at a big g2g someday. Hopefully you'll be sucking my exhaust as I blow by you, but I got a lot of catching up to do.
Smoe! Bring me back an ear or something if you go over seas. Just playing

#24 ·
Naz.. sounds like your staying NA then for a while. If you went with the 4.06 gears, I'm guessing the plans for FI are on the back burner.

Congrats on your new setup, sounds like a blast to drive!

#25 ·
funny.....how come you haven't posted any dyno #'s???

SURELY you would have to re-tune the car after removing the head..and re-working the snot out of it...and if you didn't....THEY should have.

or....please don't tell me you don't own a pair of cam gears...and have all this work done..???

#26 ·
Congratulations, naz. Must be fun.

You're right in thinking that you should get your fuel situation checked out. As I recall, 150-160whp is right around where you start maxing out the stock injectors. You might be (borderline) okay now with your A/F, but keep adding power, and it'll be trouble.

Don't be our first (major?) N/A blowout!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.