Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had looked up some reviews on the fuzions, and everyone seemed to rave about them (mostly the zri with a few hri reviews) I purchased 4 215/45/17 fuzion HRI's to put on my new ALT 17x7 sonix wheels (with a 40 MM offset) I got the tires on and once I started to push them I noticed two things...First, they RUB, second, they dont handle for BEANS.

I went into a tight corner at my "usual" speed (usual with worn conti's) and these tires pushed REALLY badly, almost making me hit a curb. The sidewall is like butter, and its a huge happening when they flex (feels like the car moves a foot to either side) I really hate sidewall flex for numerous reasons, mostly because it makes the handling unreliable (cant tell when its on the verge of folding over, and when it does traction goes way down) and also makes for wishy-washy ride.

I got these tires at tires plus, and they have a guarantee where I can swap out for some other tires, as long as I pay the difference of course. I was really liking the ride of these tires, but Im guessing that is from the soft sidewall.

What does everyone reccomend for different tires? I was hoping to get somthing with a decent traction in rain/snow (but as ive found now an all season "sport" tire wont have good handling characteristics)

Also, what size? I really would rather not roll my fenders, but I really hate the tire rubbing. Should I go 205/45/17, or maybe 215/40/17? I would prefer to stay with the 215 width as I think it looks better, but I will do what I have to do not to rub.

I am also considering a slight drop (undecided yet...) but that is another thing I have to consider with this tire size decision

Here is a picture with the new tires/wheels right after It came off the lift (suspension not settled, has a 4x4 look going on)

So far my possible tires (pending price/ and if they are even available through tire rack) are:
Hankook rs-2's approx 100
BFG g-force KDW II's approx 150

Any help is greatly appreciated, trying to get this thing ready to roll for jetfest!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a set of 205/40/r17's on my 17x7's primax 618's and I had a set of toyos before them and let me say the fuzions rock I absolutly love them they grip way better and in the rain they are really nice to drive on. I hated the toyos they were really really [censored] in my opinion they wore uneven on my car after a alignment and the tread lasted about 25,000 miles and i dont ever burn out so i was pissed... so i dunno whats going on with yours cause i love mine

·
Registered
378 Posts
i've got pirelli p-zero nero m+s in 215/45/17 and i think they're terrific. they feel very positive, with almost no traces of push. they do very well in the rain as well.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
From someone who went from the Fuzion ZRis and hated them to the BFG g-Force sports and love them, I think you can see my recommendation.

Your loss of cornering performance is mainly due to the fact that you went to an all season tire from a high performance summer tire. Switch back to a summer tire and that will help a lot.

As I have said before, that 40mm offset is hurting you. You really should look at a 205/40/17 to be on the safe side. My 215/45/17 BFGs rubbed tonight during a "rollercoaster style" suspension compression at the bottom of a hill.....and I have a 45mm offset, not a 40mm like you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wont 205/40 be a pretty big change in height compared to stock? Wouldnt going with 215/40 or 205/45 be better, to keep final ratios closer? (if I can get away with it I would love to keep my 215's...)

When it comes to fender rub, is it the width or the tire height that makes contact first?

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
The 40 mm offset is causing the rub. Go down to the 205 45's or the 215 40's. The HRi doesn't have glowing reviews at the Tirerack, and the softer sidewalls can be expected in all season tires, even HP/UHP ones. If you need all season, from what I've read, the BFG Traction TA V has the stiffest side wall. You will sacrifice the ride some, but if you drive hard, you'll never be satisfied with anything else...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forget the ride... I didnt buy the svtf for a comfy ride! heh, ill take better cornering over caddy-like ride any day!

I think I might stay away from the fuzions and try to grab some gforce sports or the gforce kdw-II's (love the tread pattern on those)

What would cut rub the most, going down in width, or going down in the profile? If possible (and worth the change) I would like to keep the 215 width and go with the 215/40...

·
Registered
44 Posts
my speedo is only off at higher speeds its abotu 10% difference.. i just drive from rpm's anyways 78mph is 75 in my car and 62 is 60 if that makes sense to you?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am pondering what size to go with, because I was looking at the tires on the car now, and I dont know if a 205 would look, the 215 seems to be just barely over the lip of the wheel, would the 205 be too narrow for a 7 inch wheel?

Right now I am considering the avs es100's they seem to have good reviews minus the noise, which shouldnt be a problem over the intake/exhaust. Ill go read the rest of the reveiws for the ZRI on tire rack, but seems a lot of people are not satisfied with them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran 44 rear and 40 front and they actually seemed worse...sidewalls still rolled but the handling was squirrly.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Isn't the weight bias on the front? Isn't the front end heavier? That being the case, wouldn't the higher pressure (44 psi) be in the front, with possibly a less psi in the rear? IMO that was a factor in the "squirrely" handling.

That is how my son runs his tires when he is doing spirited driving and it handles very well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
psi isnt changing the build of these tires...they are pretty grippy in a straight line, but come time to corner they fold.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'd go with a 215/40 or 215/45 (stock for your SVT) if you can swing it with your drop...

Don't do a 205; there just isnt enough rim protection.

Also, on my Focus, all I ever ran were the Yokohama ES100s. They kicked ass on backroads + were surprisingly good at the track day I attended last summer.

Great tires for right around $100 from T/R.

--Dan.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going to get the es100's but after reading 5 pages of reviews (over 100 reviews lol) looks like a lot of people wernt happy with the nois, treadlife and some complained about the sidewall stiffness.

I think I am going to give the gforce sports a try, because after reading 3 pages of reviews hardly anyone had anything bad to say about them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not saying these are great HP tires, but your air pressures were IMO wrong (back asswards) and contributed to the problem. They may not be the tire for you, but IMO you did not get the maximum performance from them.

BTW as I am sure you are aware...air pressure can have a large effect on most tires performance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have now tried many different combos for these tires and nothing is changing anything.... ive tried equal front rear (at numerous psi') higher front than rear, and higher rear than front.

On my stock Conti's I run a higher psi in the rear because that makes the rear end break loose before the front, which imo is easier to control.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts