Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here. I currently own an 04 Cobra, and my wife and I are very active in an SVT Club. I am going to look at an 02 SVTF. It has 42,000 miles on it, not sure on the options. It was originally a buy back because of the stall. The motor lost oil pressure and has been replaced under warranty with a crate motor. The clutch was also replaced under warranty.
Any advice on what else to look for?

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Unless it is a great price I would say stay awawy from it. I can almost bet it will have more problems down the road. There are plenty of them out there I would say keep looking. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey guys, new here. I currently own an 04 Cobra, and my wife and I are very active in an SVT Club. I am going to look at an 02 SVTF. It has 42,000 miles on it, not sure on the options. It was originally a buy back because of the stall. The motor lost oil pressure and has been replaced under warranty with a crate motor. The clutch was also replaced under warranty.
Any advice on what else to look for?

Is this car black?

yea but what he said If it is a great deal go for it? Are they offering you any kind of a warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies
The car is silver. He's asking $8,000. What else could go wrong with it?? I am good friends with the SVT tech at our dealer, and found out he did the work. I'll give him a call and see what he thinks of it. Has been a couple of months since I have seen it, but on our cruise I looked at the outside and it was very clean.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When they put the new motor in, check that they aligned the shifter properly and that 5&6 aren´t difficult to shift into.

The stock clutches on these sucked, ask them to see the part number of the clutch they put in and make sure it´s the new revised one.

Other known problems that I wouldn´t be scared of are creaky seats, multidisc cd player eating discs, mysterious rattles (the 80 heat shields on these things are infamous).

If the car was never crashed, looks 100% unmodified and the price is right it sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, just got back from checking the car out. It has the Audophile stereo but not the winter package. Pretty clean, a couple of light scratches in the paint that I can get out. Zero dings or dents! Tires are fairly new Toyo Proxies. He has all the paperwork on the car. Every TSB has been completed except for the horn. Completely stock, all maintenance done at a Ford dealer (oil, filters etc.)
The motor was replaced under warranty, but the paperwork doesn't say why other than oil starvation. Clutch was replaced, new intake, IAT etc. All of this completed within the last year. Shifts great (way better than the Cobra!)
Driving impressions are WOW! I forgot how fun it is to drive a car that is nimble and can stop on a dime. We are probably going to pick it up on Sat or Sunday. Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good choice, fun car.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Good choice, fun car.
Agreed.

Plus welcome to the Jet and SVT Headquarters!!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I forgot how fun it is to drive a car that is nimble and can stop on a dime.
I love hearing this from a guy with a Cobra.

Welcome to 'the Jet' and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cobras are cool and easy to make go stupid fast, but there is just something about yanking the wheel left or right and knowing the car is gonna stick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts