1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Grassroots Sponsor
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
775 Posts
Is the airfilter the same as the ST filters? You can just get one from Green or Buschar Racing for less than 60 and drop it in. Pretty much the same concept

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
389 Posts
$279 FOR THAT? :screwy:
My thoughts exactly. My Typhoon kit cost less than that, and there's a LOT more to it with respect to R&D, materials and workmanship.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, a replacement cover for the airbox and an inverted end filter and a cap for it? Something doesn't add up. There is not enough information, need photos of it installed and dyno charts. I'll stick with Injen thank you very much. ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have the k&n filter on my ST and I just ordered the ones for the 2012 model and it works I think the part number was E2993 paid $80 for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kit was only $130 total cost from Tennessee Speed Sport. Runs better with filter box end closed. Big improvement in response over stock. Barely have to give it throttle to keep pace with traffic or climb hills. Getting 42.5 mpg at 75 mph on my daily commute to work. May run better with plug removed when exhaust upgrade is done. Very impressed with the little flex fuel 2.0 so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After having this kit on for a while, and experimenting with it, I have learned more. If you run the cap off and premium fuel, you loose mileage but performance is best by far. With the plug in the end, it still runs better than stock, and gas mileage is much better. The sound with the cap off is much louder, but a very good sound. The car really lunges forward on each gear change and is car lengths quicker with the cap off. Very torquey with the cap off. Drives like a larger engine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Or you can just get a replacement filter at your local parts store for 60 bucks and have the same results....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took it to the local track. Opening the cap on the end of the filter is 3 tenths and 1.5 mph faster.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will be installing this later in the week. I already have 3 inch tubing under the box going to the driver's side grille triangle, and have the stock intake snorkel and upper grill flap deleted. We will see if the extra lid volume helps (I already have a K&N drop-in).

·
Registered
389 Posts
I will be installing this later in the week. I already have 3 inch tubing under the box going to the driver's side grille triangle, and have the stock intake snorkel and upper grill flap deleted. We will see if the extra lid volume helps (I already have a K&N drop-in).
Great. I am very interested in your results. I am considering going back to a more stock setup now that the summer temps have arrived.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed it and even with the endcap off, it is still very quiet. I cannot really tell if there is an advantage to running the endcap off, a dyno or 1/4 time would tell, but for daily driving I would keep it on to reduce intake temps. I can feel it pulling timing in the top of the rev range at WOT with the endcap off and the car heat soaked. Not so much with it on.

There is a definite advantage to the cover in that it does allow more air around the filter compared to the stock cover which sort of shrouds the top.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Took it to the local track. Opening the cap on the end of the filter is 3 tenths and 1.5 mph faster.
I am surprised that there is that much of an improvement, but I suppose it is possible since I did notice more response with it off until the underhood temps went up. Then I did not see much advantage. Too bad there isn't room to duct cool air into that opening....

At the drag strip, I can see that removing the endcap with a cool engine would be beneficial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look on focusfanatics there is a ram air module people have made.

I personally have this intake matched with the frd racing intake and it's quite the combo. It feels great all the way through the rpm. I like it better than the steeda because steeda is made to race vs this is made to drive around town with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Look on focusfanatics there is a ram air module people have made.

I personally have this intake matched with the frd racing intake and it's quite the combo. It feels great all the way through the rpm. I like it better than the steeda because steeda is made to race vs this is made to drive around town with.
I have already done that. I did a variation on newmission's mod using 3" Spectre air ducting. I was also the originator of the snorkel delete (though someone else did a picture write-up) and the delete of the flap behind the upper grille.

I did a lot of firsts over there: STOCK Mazdaspeed 3 RMM, Mazdaspeed 3 springs, Mazdaspeed 3 rear sway bar, snorkel delete... I left there because of harassing behavior of a few that I called out on things and couldn't take it. I'm not much for childish behavior...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I left there because of harassing behavior of a few that I called out on things and couldn't take it. I'm not much for childish behavior...
AMEN... Childish behavior and constant complaining...

I wish we could get a bit more traffic here, but I'll take the enthusiast traffic here over that mess over there any day...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Agreed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On the kit... I am still amazed at how quiet it is. I like.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts