Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did. The three pod doesn't replace the WHOLE pillar, just the front half. So Dave joined the two, smoothed it out, and then retextured/repainted it to match the rest of the pillars.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Thats wierd. The full pillar I've seen in my hands fits perfectly from tip to tip.
But regardless, nice work.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the 12107 is the one I purchased, and the 26107 is like mine, only for right-hand drive cars. They both only come half way up the pillar. Go look at the A-pillar in your car (which extends ALL THE WAY BACK to where it is covered by the trim piece from the b-pillar) and compare it to these pictures of the original autometer piece and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
I was thinking about something else I suppose. My friend bought both sides I just havent seen them in a while. But I cuold have sworn they went all the way back.
Oh well.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
only for the right hand drive cars? no, the 2___ series pods from autometer are for normal, US spec vehicles and replace the entire a-pillar, thats the point... YOU'RE (the one u made) pillar looks like it might extend all the way to the B-pillar, in which case, we're all confused as to what we're arguing about, lol

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Majikal, let me clarify: What you are seeing in my pictures are an Autometer part #12107 (triple guage one piece unit) and a Ford factory A-pillar trim piece that have been molded together with body filler, sanding, texturing and painting to appear as if it was a stock piece. The Autometer pillar only overlays (not actually replaces) the factory pillar up to about the top edge of the windshield. The factory Ford pillar is one solid piece of plastic that extends from the dash all the way around the top of the door where it intersects with the b-pillar trim. There are now no additional "breaks" in my pillar, and it looks as seamless as the stock piece. I think the confusion lies in the fact that Autometer refers to the #12107 as a "full pillar replacement", when it is in fact a "cover for about half of the stock piece with three lumps in it for gauges". I wanted it to truly "replace" the factory piece and replicate a factory look, so a little surgery was in order. Also all Autometer Focus gauge pods with part #'s starting with 26 are the right hand drive versions of the ones which part #'s start with 12. They are literally mirror image pieces, intended to overlay the right hand pillar in applications where the steering wheel is on that side of the car (technically, you could use these in a LHD car if you wanted to have gauges down BOTH pillars). They (the RHD versions) ALSO only COVER about half of the factory trim piece (to the top edge of the windshield). I wish someone did make a true "replacement", where you unclipped the factory piece, snapped on the new one, and wired up your gauges, done. Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, the only thing available is the Autometer "overlay", which requires the modifications I undertook to appear truly "replaced", instead of "tacked on". Again, I want to thank Dave Legra' for all the time and effort he put into this. It really is a big improvement over the intended install of the Autometer (glued over the top of the factory a-pillar, with an obvious raised edge where the Autometer stops and the factory piece continues on it's way to the b-pillar). Next stop is texture and color-matching all the OTHER pillars in the car to the new one. The factory gray color is actually molded into the plastic, and it has little black flecks in it, so matching it with paint was a "close but no cigar" proposition. 99% of people wouldn't notice that it's slightly different, but I do.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
gotcha... didnt know they sold them for RHD drive cars... I was told by them that it replaces the pillar.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
gotcha... didnt know they sold them for RHD drive cars... I was told by them that it replaces the pillar.
Yes they do, SVTBishop and I have both sides in his garage for a little, but postponed project.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure. It would just require you shipping your factory trim piece here to Tennessee, and arranging for an Autometer piece to be shipped here also. PM me for details, if you are interested.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Yes they do, SVTBishop and I have both sides in his garage for a little, but postponed project.
Speaking of
I need to get on that

1 - 20 of 22 Posts