Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so this is what we have going on at F2 focus performance. We are going to create a light 12lbs 17x8 inch weel, but we would like to get a idea of what type of desinges the focus community would like to see? Let us know so we can get started ASAP.

Thank you
Andrew Gillis

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
somethin like ROTA Subzeros or OZ Superleggeras. i like the split spoke design with lip
doesnt have to be a polish lip, i just like the look of a lip. or somethin with 6 or more spokes
if you go 5 spoke, rota attacks are nice....and sorry....im too lazy to look for pics
iwould, but with 56k, ill be lookin for a while

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
In my opinion, it should either be very simple, or very showy. Simple meaning the Rota Slipstream or Focus RS style, with a few chunky spokes. Or complicated like the classic BBS Y-spokes, or the Euro Appearance wheels.

Also, I can't imagine how this could be affordable. But if it is, it'll rock.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
ahhh yes the BBS wheels!! those are hot
err....umm....is there a specific price range you cangive??

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well at this stage we are going with the 17x8 for racing application and also for the widebody RS kit. But we are also talking about the 17x7 for the Focus Spec and Focus Challenge guys. And also the street guy and drag racer. Price at the moment is hard to say but I know how much the other popular light weight wheels go for...$$$$$big bucks! Well we are trying to keep affordable. Remember this will be a very lightweight wheel. Keep the ideas coming please the more the better. Thanks Andrew

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
How about paying some attention to wheel offset as it affects suspension geometry. I'll post a link to a great thread about all the specifics & why they're important. But the general idea was to stay as close to stock offset as possible- for good reasons. HERE'S THAT LINK

Also, consider that while a 12lb wheel is great by any standard, angular momentum is the real enemy to acceleration. (Weight at the circumferance is worse than weight at the hub) so even a very light 18" wheel might only compare to a stock 15" with regards to performance.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
At 12 pounds for a 17x8, I couldn't care less about what they look like.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
LOL... now THAT is confidence!!!

Although, personally, I'd prefer... well, if you've ever been to a Spencer Gifts store & seen the keychains they sell of the Naughty-Bears... I'm thinking one like what you posted, only with a big fat set of genitalia clearly visable.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Something EASY TO CLEAN after a day of racing.

Something that could creat a small vortex to pull air across the brake rotors, maybe twisting the spokes ever so slightly to get a fan effect.

5-6 spokes max.

Also able to be custom drilled for lug and spindle mounts. Maybe sell blanks and custom drill them.

Can fit stainless steel valve stems?

Something that does not require center caps

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have always been partial to the Minilite/Panasport look

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Dare I say, something along the lines of a 15x7 wheel, which can just barely clear SVT brakes? Then you'll have a track day winner.
Take that, and add all the features jinstall mentioned and you'd definitely have the best wheel for the Focus to date.

For a track day wheel, regardless of weight, I still don't really see the point in going over 16" if you don't have to. Once the car is caged with stiff springs, you'll appreciate that extra little bit of sidewall cushion when hammering the curbing.

Only other thing I could think of is that while 15" would certainly be nice because of the tire selection, 16" might be a good choice because then some of the other BBKs(TCE for example) would have a chance of fitting.

I'm no road racer, just a hack track rat, but I'll make a stab at a priority list if I was looking for a wheel for a dedicated track car. Listed in order of importance from highest importance to lowest importance:
1) Brake clearance
2) Tire options and availability
3) Weight
4) Size

1 & 2 may be interchangeable. Some people may be willing to compromise on tire size for brake clearance and vice versa. 3 & 4 may also be interchangeable because again some people might be willing to compromise weight for size and vice versa. But IMHO, weight would always be 3rd or 4th.

So for me the selection process would go like this. 1) Find what size wheel just barely clears the brakes. 2) Ensure that the size I selected had decent tire options. 3) In that size, look for the wheel that has the lowest weight. 4) Then think about the size I selected and decide if there is enough or too much sidewall.

Feel free to ignore my rambling...Haven’t gotten much sleep this week and haven't had my coffee yet today.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Screw this 17" noise...

How about a 15x7 that fits over SVT brakes?
Please?

EDIT: I should read all before I post...but count me as another in favor of the 15 over SVT brakes...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Screw this 17" noise...

How about a 15x7 that fits over SVT brakes?
Please?
I'll take a set of these.

Simple 5 spokes would make them easier to clean and keep clean.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
While building the ultimate 12 pound 15x7 mentioned above, don't foreget hardened lug seats like the OEM aluminum wheels so that the lug nuts won't stick, gall, and require torquing/driving/retorquing/driving/and a third torquing before they settle and reliably hold proper torque every time you put the damn things on... like some aftermarket wheels.

Simple design (5 or 6 spoke), no center cap, OEM center bore diameter, OEM style lips to hold OEM "MC" hammer on weights, valve stems in a non-vulnerable location, and a painted finish (I happen to be partial to white and argent). I am thinking 42mm offset.

And it need to be strong.

Now that would be a wheel.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I would like to see a 6 spoke design. I have always been a fan of the Volk Racing TE37. If you are looking at going more than 6 I would say go with a 8 spoke disign, aka Volk CE28N.

My .02

Ok after doing a bit of surfing found this pict.
Focus Race Car

I like the design of the front wheel, it looks like it could be a light weight design. On a side now what is up with them using a SVT rear bumper on a ST170?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts