Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****UPDATE AT BOTTOM****

OK, So I have the JRSC, and I wasn't 100% expecting a repair under warranty for the busted hose. Except that they fixed it the first time no questions. Well, now they are saying that "The supercharger is over-revving the engine causing undue build-up of pressure causing the hose to break lose." My first reaction was "The crank that turns all of those accessories hasn't changed the speed of the p/s pump, and the car is still driven within the specifications, meaning I can't rev beyond the redline." Basically I had to tell the guy that redline was where peak power was made WITHOUT the supercharger and that the s/c has nothing to do with pressure because its not like the s/c is pumping more air/prssure into the p/s. Anyway, it is falling on deaf ears. I called SVT and the guy, Mark, agreed with me that he didn't see how the s/c would affect the pressure of the hose, but he also understood from a warranty perspective that it was iffy in general. Still, this makes NO sense. I CAN'T over-rev the engine...I obviously like 99% of you have the stock ECU. Redline is it for me. I'd gladly over-rev it if I could, but I haven't

Basically they want to put some sort of special bushing in that apparently was made for this scenario, but as far as I'm concerned this is BS. It's NOT a new part. He gave me part number FSRZ-3R608B. Any ideas what this is? They want 250 to do the entire repair.

Does anyone have any recourse for me? The reason they are giving me makes no sense. I kept repeating that this is a common problem and that the s/c again, has no affect. I've had it....my car is 13 months old and I have 28K miles on it. I've had nothing but problems...and it's obviously about to get very costly. They only want $250 for the repair now, but what will it be next? I have already had what would have been very costly repairs if it wasn't for the warranty.

Also, shouldn't a service department be able to make print outs of my visits? My service guy is refusing to help me there. From my knowledge I've had over 40 days in service among other problems with the dealer. Agh.

Maybe I should just suck it up and pay the bill, but it's this problem among dozens that is killing me.....especially if they are giving me some BS answer as the reason they can't cover it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Re: New Power Steering News. HA HA HA

It's still the same - the dealership has to PROVE that the JRSC caused the power steering hose to blow or fail. I forget the name of the law or act, but it's on here somewhere. Since no change was made to the ECU, and the fuel shut-off is occurring at the same engine speed, he's BSing you. And yes, ALL dealers have access to anything you brought the car in for, under warranty. How do they think Carfax works?!?
My opinion of dealers still stands...

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

That sucks dane. You have had so many prolems. You remind me of me back when I had my 73 alfa. Same crap would break all the time and it was never ending. It sucks when you spend more time fixing a car than driving it and enjoying it.
Sory man.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

That sucks dane. You have had so many prolems. You remind me of me back when I had my 73 alfa. Same crap would break all the time and it was never ending. It sucks when you spend more time fixing a car than driving it and enjoying it.
Sory man.
I vote Gig to fix all my car problems.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ford Customer service is a joke, but I knew that. Repeating over and over "We support our service departments 100%." I'm going to go in on Monday and speak with the foreman. Maybe I'll get somewhere, probably not. Either way, I think it's time to start looking for a different car.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Solve the problem yourself.

You don't really think the techs they hire at Ford dealerships have any brains, do you?

Well... *most* don't anyway. <80 IQs, most of them, and/or not honest.

I got a fluke only ONE TIME; an honest and talented mechanic, but he didn't keep working at a dealership for very long.

People like that start their own shops and develop a loyal customer base.

Anyhow, get a better hose, think of a better way to keep it together on there and do it yourself. *OR*, if you are gonna pay a nickle for this work, have an independant mechanic figure out how to fix it RIGHT.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Well, as you said you figured they would say some BS like this and I think it was you that posted before saying that if they did try to charge you, you would just buy a new hose and put it on yourself. Anyway, it does suck and what they are saying is crap.

But, this is what we all have to remember, we decide to mod our own cars and have to learn to deal with the crappy dealers and BS responses they give. They think they know it all and we don't know [censored]. They didn't tell you to put the JRSC on or do your other mods did they? That is the risk you decided to take. If this dealer is going to give you crap, maybe try another that might be better. And I am getting so sick of people coming on and talking about I have had all these damn problems. So go sell the damn car, get it lemoned..who cares...just stop bitching. Don't mod the car and see if you have the same BS answers from the dealers. We bring it upon ourself to get these kinds of reactions from dealers. So deal with it and figure out a way around it!

I have had 90% of the typical problems most others have, but I know it was a first generation svtf and I deal with it. My only complaint is the power, which has nothing to do with warranty work. It has to do with their design.

sorry, just had to vent.

·
Registered
208 Posts

It's still the same - the dealership has to PROVE that the JRSC caused the power steering hose to blow or fail. I forget the name of the law or act, but it's on here somewhere.
It is called the Moss Magnusen Act.

I suggest calling the owner of the dealership. If that doesn't work then start trying to get ahold of someone at Ford Corporate. Sometimes they are more eager to help the customer than the dealer is. Se what kind of phone numbers you can dig up and work your way up the chain. Ask the place where you bought the supercharger if they can provide you with some phone numbers.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hey SonicBlueSVT......actually the dealer DID ask me to put the JRSC on. They told me to add an intake too and shortshifter, throw some nifty gauges in, and drive it like a mutha'. They told me they'd give me a hard time, but that it was worth it. They also said I'd have a million problems, but to just vent a little to people who probably understand and know more than them about the situations and aren't as concerned with money.

So hey, I just followed the dealers advice.

Yes, I figured before that I'd do the work myself, but I don't have the 4 days off a week that I used to, I'm much more busy, just moved, and have a lot on my plate both at work and home until the end of this month. If you'd like to do the repair yourself, I visit Maryland quite frequently. I can tow it down there and you can fix it in 10 minutes flat, I'm sure

::cough:: typical focaljet reponse ::cough::

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

[/QUOTE]I vote Gig to fix all my car problems.

[/QUOTE]

Hey sure, no problem!
I'll make you a deal. You find me a nice easy, good paying job in the IT field and I'll put an entrance on the other side of my garage and give you the transmiter for the remote garage door opener. That way you can drop it off at anytime. Just leave a note and I'll take care of it!
Sounds more than fair to me.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

sorry for the response man. I just get pissed when it seems like every person does nothing but complain about problems. I am sure I am in that same boat at times. I guess lately it has been more than usual.

On a serious note...I have no problem working on cars. I love it. Although I am more comfortable with a fox bady stang and still just learning about the focus, a power steering hose shouldn't be too hard at all. So if you want, you are more than welcome to tow it on down here!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Gig, I need to test your knowledge before I can recommend you to anyone only because my current employer requires 5 years experience. if i can get them to move on that, i'm sure you'd do fine where i'm at. i can gaurantee it won't be stressful though

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

SonicBlueSVT...its alright, I'm better at working ford festivas

·
Registered
582 Posts

Call their bluff. Don't roll over.

Tell the service manager that you need him to put his reasons for refusing to honor the warranty IN WRITING as you will be taking to Ford Corporate, arbitration and if needed - small claims court under the Magnussen-Moss warranty act of 1976. If he refuses to put it in writing insist on calling 1 800 FORD SVT right then and there.

If the SM has brain one he will just fix the #$%$# hose and bill Ford for it under warranty.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

As others have been saying keep testing them, and let them know that you know your rights as a new ford vehicle owner. Also, read up on that act and find out everything you can about warranty and aftermarket mods, go in there determined. Granted it isnt too much money, but this would help you further down the road when something else goes wrong that is not caused by the boost. They have to prove that the ps failed because of the s/c. Which will be hard to do. If you do most of this they probably wont want to go through the trouble if they know they are wrong. On the other hand they may really think it did fail because of the s/c and be able to prove it (doubt it).

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts

Here is the link for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.Read it over and print it for future references should you need it.Basically it says that they have to prove that an aftermarket part caused a warranty part to fail.Plus didn't you say the power steering hose was replaced under warranty prior to the install of the JRSC and now it went again?

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

haha dane..don't worry about it man. If something pops up let me know that's all.
I wouldn't want you to stick your neck out for me.

·
Registered
534 Posts

You see this is were you need to be very firm. THE DEALER is going to get PAID either way. By YOU or by the Warranty Claim. THE DEALER would love to get you to shell out the doe even when they know they could get the warranty claim to cover it. And I've heard but it has not yet been confirmed that some dealers will tell you your warranty is voided and charge the customer and then later turn around and file a warranty claim with FORD. Basically getting PAID twice for the work. So do some homework go to a few other dealers ask them questions before they even see your car, talk to them and explain the problem... dont just let them say "oh will take a look at it" and do some paper work. Make them understand before you sign or agree to anything. Hey If all else fails make a scene, talk really loud, raise your arms and vent, draw some attention to yourself in front of customers. This has worked for me in the past. That's just my two cents...

·
Registered
286 Posts

dongnong, you want to shoot their theory all to hell real quick? Explain to them that the SVTF has a falling flow pump design, which means as engine speed INCREASES, steering pump output DECREASES. Oopsie on them. This is fact, BTW. It's in the SVT training manual.

Dealers: KNOW YOUR PRODUCT! Sheesh...
~Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts