Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering which one everyone on the jet would prefer and why?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This has been discussed before, butI'l answer the question either way.

EVO: Why? Because its Better looking and follows the Rally heritage more than the STi (STi comes with a 2.5 liter engine, thats a no-no in WRC)

All the reviews I've read so far have the EVO coming out on top.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Evo, I like the hood better.

Sti, I like the sound a boxer makes with a high flow pipe on it.

Evo, the stock wheels are nicer.

Sti, 2.5l is a nice starting point, displacement etc...

Evo, everything I've read said it handles better.

Eh, who the hell knows, I'd love either one, I guess in the end I'd pick the Subaru, I've had a few and you just can't kill the boxer engine. So, brand loyalty I guess.

I'll be perfectly honest though, give me a 2000 2.5rs and $10,000 to play with though over both the Evo and the Sti. Seriously, the coupe rules.

22b replica++

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
emulous and I believe another Jet member here both have an EVO 8 and just love the cars handling and performance.Personally the test numbers are so close it just boils down to which manufacturer you prefer and which look you like best.Keep in mind that the STi doesn't come standard with a radio which has to be dealer installed so that will add to the cost on top of the car.Most car magazines have already ran comparison tests between the 2 and some have the EVO 8 ahead and some have the STi ahead in the testing it's that close.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The STi tends to end up with quicker 1/4 miles times in testing but the Evo does better in the actual driving tests. Personally I'd get a regular WRX, for $2000 in engine upgrades and $1500 in suspension, you have a better performer than both. Its so close no matter what you chose though.....

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I favor the STi more. It just appeals to me more. Ive never been fond of mitsu but lately the EVO has really grown on me.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
As many of you know I was all about the STi when it was first announced until the time we finally got one delivered in Maine. I never even considered ever buying a Mitsubishi and hated what the EVO looked like in pictures. The only thing that sounded better was the available sunroof and the rear wiper. Two things that wouldn't make me switch over to the EVO.

I still haven't driven an STi so I can't speak about how it drives, except from what I've heard and what I've seen at AutoXes, NASIOC, and EVO/WRX g2gs.

The argument between the two has been going on and on and on and will never die even if they stop making these cars. It is definetaly the same as arguing about a Camaro and Mustang except that the EVO and STi are very much more similar.

All the complaints I've heard about the EVO I rarely agree with and I've noticed that most folks that make these complaints haven't even driven one, they only take what a magazine says about them as fact.

All I can say about the EVO is that it's my daily driver, in 7 weeks of owning it I've put close to 8K miles on it and haven't had a single problem. If you ever read my posts about my SVTF, you'll know how picky I am about my vehicles. I've owned a subaru in the past, and it wasn't this reliable, and some STi's were released with a detonation problem, and I can't respect the flapping hood scoop or the flapping wing. So for me the initial quality of the EVO outweighs the STi, but long term is what matters, and that remains to be seen.

The only negative I feel is the strength of the clutch, you really have to know how to drive a manual for the clutch to last. It hates 5K and above launches and let's you know only by the smell of a burnt clutch the lasts very long so you don't forget.

Every magazine says the STi is smoother, more mature, etc. and when I read that I said that was the car for me. After driving the EVO for almost two months, I can't imagine driving a car that doesn't communicate as well as the EVO does. Because of this communication through the steering wheel and the susupension you know exactly what the road is telling you, you can drive it faster and better because of this, with the STi you've got to be a better driver to get the same performance out of it, in the long run, that may be more rewarding.

The aftermarket for the EVO is huge, the STi will take a while to catch up. Yes 2.5 Liters will get you more than a 2 Liter in the long run, but if you intend to use either car as a daily driver, how much horsepower do you really need and would you be able to drive it safely.

In the end drive both cars, the right one will speak to you. Either way you won't go wrong, both will leave a lasting impression and a big smile. If you like the looks and style of one better than the other, than there's your choice, just a word of warning, don't go by pictures, both look vastly different in person.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think the EVO b/c everything has said it handles better, it is much closer to the actual rally car, and has a proven motor. Japans I4's just are not the same anymore, the evo has the same one(more or less) it has always had.

and who knows maybe we will get the 300hp version of the EVO, i forget what it's called but they do have one

on a side note I wass watching "Who am I" last night with my g/f and we both decided that the EVO 5in the movie looks much better then the current EVO 8

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
and who knows maybe we will get the 300hp version of the EVO, i forget what it's called but they do have one

on a side note I wass watching "Who am I" last night with my g/f and we both decided that the EVO 5in the movie looks much better then the current EVO 8
In the UK it's called the FQ - 300
and yes, F Q stands for what you think it does.

The EVO 5 does look better, at least of the rally versions I saw 2 weekends ago.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The STi tends to end up with quicker 1/4 miles times in testing but the Evo does better in the actual driving tests. Personally I'd get a regular WRX, for $2000 in engine upgrades and $1500 in suspension, you have a better performer than both. Its so close no matter what you chose though.....
You still have the WRX's glass transmission. The STi is worth the money for that alone, not to mention all the other heavy duty parts.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'll be perfectly honest though, give me a 2000 2.5rs and $10,000 to play with though over both the Evo and the Sti. Seriously, the coupe rules.

22b replica++
The 2.5rs was a solid car until you try to do stuff to it. The best Idea people have is to swap in the EJ22T from the USDM turbo legacy and either the corresponding transmission or a stronger STi or MRT transmission. The 2.5RS just wasn't built to have serious power put through it. Throwing a turbo on a 2.5 is a huge mistake I've seen a few people make.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My bet is the EVO8 with This to make the 300 Flywheel of the sti

O and look at This

On California 91 octane, the STi detonates/pings audibly between 4000 and 4500RPM. This is very surprising and somewhat discouraging for a stock car and is the first order of business for our upgrade package. Our out-of-state affiliates have also noticed similar detonation tendencies on 93 octane.
TragiC

·
Registered
107 Posts
Niether!! I would never pay $30,000+ for a 4 cylinder car! Unless its a luxury car and even then most of the luxury cars are 6 cylinders. For the same price you can get a 2003 Cobra, or a slightly used C5 Corvette. That is just my opinion, I know I will get flamed for saying that, but I don't care. There is no replacement for displacement!!

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
sti all the way, because the other one is a mitsubishi

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Niether!! I would never pay $30,000+ for a 4 cylinder car! Unless its a luxury car and even then most of the luxury cars are 6 cylinders. For the same price you can get a 2003 Cobra, or a slightly used C5 Corvette. That is just my opinion, I know I will get flamed for saying that, but I don't care. There is no replacement for displacement!!
I agree man Cobra or Vette for me
[censored] i would buy a Mach 1

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
everyone is welcome to their opinions. mine just happens to be that i prefer a car that can go fast AND handle. as for the corvette... well i wouldn't buy a car that impractical. i need cargo space as well as passenger space so a two seater would never do.

for me the choice would be the EVO. as much as i hated the styling at first (still hate the tails) it's really grown on me. from all i've read and seen in person i just like the EVO better. if i only had the money...

Nate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts