Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tight do you make the end link bolts on the progress rear bar? I'm a little confused by the instructions, it says "DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!" but doesnt give you a picture or anything..

Reason I'm asking is becuase I thought I had it on there OK. I recently took the car in for service at the local Ford dealer, and they said they tightened the end links for me... so, I want to know how tight is too tight.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I thought mine came with instructions. It said to tighten the endlinks until you couldn't turn a washer by hand, then tighten it by one more quarter-turn. But maybe I got that from a website and forgot.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I'm not sure why the brand of bar would matter, but what I've done is to just give it all the arm I could give it w/ a standard 3/8 drive ratchet with no cheater bar.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Micheal, he's talking about the endlink bolts and you don't want to cause them to bind.

over tightening them will wear out the bushings and cause them to bind and too loose and it won't work as a lever as well as it could be.

you want to tighten them down just enough to make the bushing material start to squish if you don't have a torque wrench.

as for the D-clamp bolts, you want to tq down to 35ft #s.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I thought mine came with instructions. It said to tighten the endlinks until you couldn't turn a washer by hand, then tighten it by one more quarter-turn. But maybe I got that from a website and forgot.
I really don't think that's tight enough.

Look up the spec on the instruction sheet for the SVT suspension kit or in the repair manual.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Micheal, he's talking about the endlink bolts and you don't want to cause them to bind.

over tightening them will wear out the bushings and cause them to bind and too loose and it won't work as a lever as well as it could be.

you want to tighten them down just enough to make the bushing material start to squish if you don't have a torque wrench.

as for the D-clamp bolts, you want to tq down to 35ft #s.
How much torque do you think I've GOT??!!??

Honestly, if you tighten them as much as you can w/ a standard ratchet while laying on your back, working above your head, you're probably in the "Good" range unless you're either the Hulk or Erkel.
Sort of like the oil filter...
"Hand Tight" varies, but it works, despite the differences in the average hand strength.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks... The grommets are a little squished but not too bad. I guess I'll just keep driving it, and if it breaks I just get new end links

Thanks for the info though

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
For what it's worth, I've noticed that my method is just enough to cause noticeable deformation in the urethane. When you can't turn the washer any further, everything is tightened up. The extra quarter turn causes the bushings to squish just a little.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
plus take in account how much more those bushings are going to squish when taking a hard corner.

I'm thinking it's closer to 11ft/lbs....

or where Disrupter911 posted.
132"(inch) #(pounds).

which I think is the same as 11ft/lbs...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts