Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new tires: conti\'s vs. potenza\'s

I'm at 21k miles and I'm ready to replace my oem conti's (after some harrowing driving in the heavy rain). I'd like to get some high performance all-season tires and it seems the best choices are the Continental ContiExtremeContact for $92 at tirerack and the Bridgestone Potenza RE950 for $157. If the bridgestones will really last 40k miles I guess they seem the better choice, unless the all-season conti's will wear better (but the have no tread life warranty). So, has anyone gone either of these routes? Or maybe gone for something different and/or better? Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Re: new tires: conti\'s vs. potenza\'s

I also switched from stockers around 21K. I went with Potenza re750s (stock size). So far I am loving them and the tread wear rating is 340. That is a big plus for me. Handling is great in rain, and dry. I dont know the difference between the re950s and re750s, but the guy at firestone said they 750s are pretty new. Which does not mean anything. Any way, I love them so far.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

I was going to buy some all-season tires in preparation for the winter here, then get my new 18's in the spring, but I thought... 'Hell, screw all that. I'll buy a beater!'. It won't cost much more than the tires I was looking at, and I can sell it in the spring to get a little of the money back. Skipping a MI winter will make the SVT last longer, and look better for the shows next year. (Nalar's plans begin to take shape in his mind... )
Just... thought I'd toss that in there.

·
Registered
486 Posts

had the 950's on my contour. It gave me good dry and wet traction and more than acceptable snow traction. Very different suspension so I am not sure if the SVT suspension would "over drive" those tires. However, on my Contour they were a huge improvement

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the feedback all. I guess I'll cough up the extra dough for the potenza's

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Check out the Sumitomo HTR+. Cost about $93 a piece and has great reviews. I have had them since last december. Great tire overall and way cheaper than what you are looking at. 360 treadwear, traction AA tem A

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hmmm - those Sumitomo's sure sound nice. They are even on special for $86 at the moment, which is a difference of $225 over the potenza's (for 4 tires). I think I might have to go with them instead. Have you had any issues at all with your's?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Are those z rated tires? How do they perform in the wet?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Hmmm - those Sumitomo's sure sound nice. They are even on special for $86 at the moment, which is a difference of $225 over the potenza's (for 4 tires). I think I might have to go with them instead. Have you had any issues at all with your's?
Not at all. I really like them alot better than the Contis and if they have any problems, they are reasonably priced as far as replacements go.
I originally got them because I got stuck in 1" of snow this past winter with the Contis. So after much research, they appeared to be the best bang for the buck. Since putting them on, I got through the winter here in the northeast(which was extra bad this year)with no problems. This car is great in the snow when equipted with the right tire.
Good luck on your decision

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

Are those z rated tires? How do they perform in the wet?
They are W rated to 168mph just like the stock Contis.
and with the amount of rain we had here this Spring and the way I drive
, I feel confident sugguesting them to you for all conditions, wet or dry

·
Registered
2,782 Posts

Very nice. When I was picking my car up I was browsing the "performance" rack of tires that had "close out prices" at Firestone. To my dismay I saw 215/45/17, w rated, 360 tread rated, for 98 bucks a pop. Had just spent about 600 buck on my new potenzas. Perhaps these were similar tires to these Sumitomos, but I can not be sure as I do not know too much about rubber. Id say go for those also. But, whats done is done. Would get Potenzas again if I could go back. Very nice tires, been having rain storms here in S. Texas the last few days. It has been great fun!!

·
Registered
298 Posts

I replaced the conti's at 32K with some yokahoma es100's. Wet traction is good. They do good in autocross too.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I ordered up a set of the sumitomo's. I'll report back as soon as I've driven them around enough to know anything. For the price though I doubt I'll have any regrets.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

I ordered up a set of the summitomo's. I'll report back as soon as I've driven them around enough to know anything. For the price though I doubt I'll have any regrets.

You'll be happy

·
Registered
742 Posts

Mmmmmmmmmmmm......

Bridestone S-03 at $162 a tire and a $60 sale from costco
on a set of 4. final price for each tire $147.

This last saturday I went with Team So-cal for a drive up Angeles crest Hwy. The only way it could have been better, if it were a closed course

About 25 cars (Focus , Contours, and Cougars) going close to the road limits

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I've put about 50 miles on my new tires thus far. They seem a little more bouncy(?) than the conti's. I've also been able to break them loose on a few turns that the conti's hung onto tightly. Maybe they need to break in a bit?

Question for NY BLACK ZX3: what psi are you running your tires at, same as stock (maybe this is the source of initial findings)?

·
Registered
742 Posts

You need to scuff the new tires. I had 500 miles of street driving and a alignment. S-03 are great 33 frt / 30 rear psi @ cold temps

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

So what's the right way to scuff them, just drive around a lot? If it's not obvious, this is the first time I've bought new tires

1 - 20 of 27 Posts