Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been a Ford person since day one, but NEVER considered buying new until now. My '94 supercharged 3.0L v-6 Ranger (250+ HP at the rear wheels) doesn't do well on gas (21 highway) and the Wife's '98 SOHC Explorer gets the same. So, when I landed a job 60 miles away that required me to go to different sites (as far as 80 miles further!), I decided to get something as a commuter. I got a STRIPPED ZX3 "S" for $2000 less than a used 2003 and I'm really pleased so far.
2.0L, 5 speed and over 700 miles on it in it's first week.
I've recorded 34 MPG on the first tank, and 37 on the second (Rings are seated!). I drive it like a total granny 90% of the time, shifting without the clutch at:
1-2 ~10 MPH
2-3 ~20 MPH
3-4 ~30 MPH
4-5 ~45 MPH
and keep the speeds below 70. My question is:
Anyone else out there looking to squeeze every MPG from their 05's? I'm an advanced wrench-turner who isn't affraid of tackling most jobs, and I believe the makers of the "turbonator" and "Tornado" should stand trial for crimes against humanity.

Future mods:
'05 F150 9006 Audiophile HU install
New grounds/power leads
Cruise control

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
LOL gotta love RPM shifting. More fun in rental cars here they pretty much are all stick shift.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
well you could take out the rear seats and shave 50-60 pounds... and a K&N filter and an underdrive pulley for starters

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've already considered a rearseat delete option, but wondering if anyone is doing anything similar.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
I deleted everything except the dash, door boards and 2 seats. Other than that it is all gone, ALL gone.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
yep the less weight you have the less your engine has to work to move it which = efficiency

let us know how good you can get the miliage to go...

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
A cold-air intake might get you some MPG. The stock airbox is very restrictive, and robs both power and mileage to make better emissions and less noise. If you have the restraint to keep your foot out of it, you should see a little improvement. The question is whether you'll drive enough for the gas savings to pay for the intake.

As another "maybe it'll be a money saver" idea, you might consider high-quality oil. I found that Redline synthetic oil increased my engine's low-rpm performance enough that I could comfortable cruise at much lower rpms. Now I can drive around town at around 35 in 5th gear, if I'm not in a hurry. Unfortunately, the oil's pricey, but then again, it can go longer without changing.

Welcome to FJ, by the way. If you want to keep saving gas, keep your Focus far away from twisty roads. Once you start having fun you'll forget about the rest...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I've recorded 34 MPG on the first tank, and 39 on the second (Rings are seated!).
Unless I'm mistaken, that seems EXCELENT for a Focus. That new 2.0 Duratec must be much better than the old Zetec. 39mpg may prove to be difficult to improve upon but I definately commend your effort. I've been saying for awhile now that we should "focus" on economy more and emissions less.

Some things I'd try:
0W-20 Mobil 1
High flow Panel filter (K&N)

If most of your driving his highway, you could look for some tires that are slightly taller in order to spin the engine a little less while at cruise. Since people get away with a 1-1/2" spring drop, I'd imagine you should be able to run a tire that is nearly 3" larger in diameter than stock but 2" might be more practical since it will also raise the car off the ground by 1/2 the diameter.

The other thing I can think of would be to get rid of the cat. But I believe that on the Duratec its neither easy or cheap. In short, as I'm sure you very well know, a more free flowing engine will run more efficiently and make more power. Take a look at Egz's Duratec parts page for some ideas.

What about aerodynamics?

I'm an advanced wrench-turner who isn't affraid of tackling most jobs, and I believe the makers of the "turbonator" and "Tornado" should stand trial for crimes against humanity.
You will like it here.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
i guess no one has gathered, he has an 05, with a sulev rating, which has a retarded intake system, theirfor does not have a k&n avalible.
I did.

A cold-air intake might get you some MPG.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
Removing the back seats is pretty easy. Just some 3/8" Drive torx drivers and half an hour or 45 minutes. I noticed some more noise with the seats gone, but a little weight savings too. Of course, at this point, the next big weight saver for my car will be ME. I'm about 30 pounds heftier than I should be.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
hell, I didn't think any focus could get over 30mpg

good job

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
hell, I didn't think any focus could get over 30mpg

good job
With my mods I get about 24-26 in town, and 32-34 on the Interstate on road trips.

On track, I've gotten as low as about 10 mpg,
but my car was having the old fuel pump/filter/tank problem at the time, so I don't know how that may have affected consumption.

·
Illage Vidiot
2,601 Posts
never gotten more then 29 even while driving through Kansas from Denver with a westerly wind

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
On flat road, at 65mph, cruise set and ac blasting, I have NEVER seen anywhere near 30mpg.
You do know that both "ac blasting" and "65 mph" mean less-than-optimum gas mileage, right? My '04 2.3 gets 25 mpg even when I'm thrashing it, because I don't use the ac, and I drive 50 mph in 5th gear a lot. Your '05 has even shorter gearing, so you'd probably get your best mileage around 45.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
actually top gear fuel economy has a lot more to do with CD than actual engine RPM. With our barn-door aerodynamics (for the hatchbacks) anything below 55 will probably be okay.

·
Look under the curve... UNDER THE CURVE!
3,134 Posts
Shoot, 39 MPG! I want to know how you did that!
I got 33.4 MPG on my last tank. It seems like the Focus actually gets better gas mileage at 70 MPH, but I think thats just because the roads that you can do 70 on are straight, flat and have few stops.

Anyone want to conjecture about how much lowering the car would have an impact on MPG? Other aero parts?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Other aero parts?
A front air dam, undertray, and functional rear lip spoiler should give a hatch fairly decent aerodynamics. Given the Focus' horrible CD, I'd venture to say that you may see a 5 mpg increase in freeway driving. But that's a totally nonscientific guess.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts