Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Focus Mk1.5 1.6
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... glad to finally be part of a forum. The past few articles I've been reading to help me out have been great so thanks to all those that contribute. Thought it was time I repaid the service!

I'm rebuilding an old Mk1 Focus. Its a practice vehicle for various mechanics, bodywork skills and decal/wrapping as I gear up to build a track Porsche 944.

I'll post some pictures soon... don't expect anything major, its just a 1.6 but having fired it up over the weekend for the first time in a year (and post new fuel pump fitted Friday) I'm pretty excited about building it out.

Registered
Focus Mk1.5 1.6
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some pics. If you can build a 944 and keep it running, this will be a walk in the park 馃槀
Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad... anything easy on the Focus sounds like it will be a pain in the rear on the 944! Keep your fingers crossed for me. Coil overs are going on today.

Registered
Focus Mk1.5 1.6
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fingers crossed! Turbo or non-turbo?
I'm actually thinking engine swap for the Porsche... not for the purists. Its a 2.5 straight four from '83 so it needs a few more horses. I've seen a few LS swaps but the current thinking is an Audi V6. The current engine has an Audi stamp so I thought I'd keep up with tradition :unsure:

Focus will remain the standard little NA 1.6 for now. Plenty of room in the engine bay for a turbo at a later point though. Never say never right?

I
I'm actually thinking engine swap for the Porsche... not for the purists. Its a 2.5 straight four from '83 so it needs a few more horses. I've seen a few LS swaps but the current thinking is an Audi V6. The current engine has an Audi stamp so I thought I'd keep up with tradition :unsure:

Focus will remain the standard little NA 1.6 for now. Plenty of room in the engine bay for a turbo at a later point though. Never say never right?
I feel the same with my SVT. Would be very easy to physically fit some boost, but... it's fun as is :)

Learning from prior mistakes, I'd recommend focusing on suspension, brakes, tyres. Power can come later. I've always added power first, but it's not very fun if you can't turn and stop.

Registered
Focus Mk1.5 1.6
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel the same with my SVT. Would be very easy to physically fit some boost, but... it's fun as is :)

Learning from prior mistakes, I'd recommend focusing on suspension, brakes, tyres. Power can come later. I've always added power first, but it's not very fun if you can't turn and stop.
Thanks for the heads up. I've managed to get some uprated discs and pads which I'm hoping to fit in the next week or two. The coilovers should be on by the weekend so I'll get the tracking etc setup by a local garage that deals with 3D alignment.

Sounds like wheel and tyres might be next on the list!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts