Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have an auto and i freikin hate it, Im now lookin to do a tranny swap. If i were to go through the dealer, how much would i be able to get the tranny for? Also, would it void the warranty?? One last thing, how difficult would it be to install myself with a friend that has done some tranny jobs before, or would it just be worth it to pay someone i know 200 dollars to do it??? Thanks for any help on the subject, peace out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You're kiddin right? Are you talkin swap, as in "swap to manual"? You can't just throw in a manual transmission.

You need to change the wiring harness, the ecu, the Pats module needs to be reprogrammed, you need to replace the pedal assemblies (a manual has a clutch pedal ya know), the shift linkage needs to be swapped.

I'm not even sure of ALL of the pieces needed yet. I think someone posted a price for all of the parts purchased from the dealer to be $4000.00+.

I can't imagine that your warranty for any of the drive train would still be good.

If you had all of the parts, paying $200.00 to "have it done" would be a STEAL.

The best approach to this (what I'm trying to do) is to find a donor car (wrecked) to transfer all of the parts from and then sell what is left.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
With the special promos out there, it *might* be cheaper just trading the car in for one with the manual. I'm rebuilding my manual and that is torturous. But I bet it is easy compared to a auto to manual swap.

Is it true that the engine location is ever different between the manual and auto? I seem to recall this, but have no real facts.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by Stay Focused:
With the special promos out there, it *might* be cheaper just trading the car in for one with the manual. I'm rebuilding my manual and that is torturous. But I bet it is easy compared to a auto to manual swap.

Is it true that the engine location is ever different between the manual and auto? I seem to recall this, but have no real facts.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well the Automatic takes up more room than the Manual transmission.

If you're looking at the engine bay, the engine seems to be back and farther left on an auto than on a manual

·
Registered
625 Posts
Also talk to Iceman (the one that was banned for some time) he was planning on the auto-manual swap.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
icemanzx3 went with Level 10 though.. i say talk to alafoci(sp)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts