Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a long time tracking this down and never did find it on the posts so for those that want it here you go. Thanks to Dave and Jody at Clarke Ford Hudson for the help on this. The parts are unlisted under normal parts look up but if you have these numbers then you can look them up to order them at the dealer...Wierd. Jody ran a VB bomb on some dealer system using my friends 03 zx3's vin number for a part by part breakdown of that specific car/vin to get them. These are the parts needed to convert the tranny and shifter to the much stronger smoother just way the hell better setup. Cables and shifter are not priced too bad but the housing jumps from $106 for the old style to $350 for the new one. Sucks to be the '00 model guinea pig and pay for it 3yrs later but my trans is trashed from the old style at only 70k miles its now a R 12&4 three speed, sometimes I can grind it into 3 and 5.

3S4Z*7201*BA HSG ASY-TR $325(got a little break)
3S4Z*7E395*FC CABLE ASY- $90
2S4Z*7210*HA LVR & EXT $50
+ ~~~~~~~
$465+31.39 tax = 496.39

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has replied to my post and I'm anxious to know if anyone knew about the difference with the whole shifter assembly on the mtx-75. IMO this is the best stock mod that can be done to a pre 02.5 model year. Has anyone else reading this done this mod? It's a steep price to pay but the mechanical improvement and trans longevity will be worth it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nobody has replied to my post and I'm anxious to know if anyone knew about the difference with the whole shifter assembly on the mtx-75.
Yeah, I knew about the shifter change in the 02.5s...I didnt know they changed the whole tranny case too, though?? ...I thought it was just a different shifter design...
Nope...I havent done the mod...My car came already 'modded'

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Nate, or stick shifter, or anyone for that matter...

would you be able to get into more detail as to how differently designed the shifter assembly is?

How is the install on this?

What kind of advantages does it have over the previous?
THanks for the info you gave and for any info you can offer now!

·
Registered
860 Posts
My car came with it already, but from what I gather, the old style looks kind of like a Honda short-shifter...Its just a stick with a ball on it, basically...The new style looks more like a real shifter...Its has the stick, and a base and all that...Sorry I cant get into more detail...
Check Focus Centrals website...They have short-shifter versions for both...It will give you an idea of how they differ, I think...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Jody ran a VB bomb on some dealer system
Actually, it's called HVBOM, which stands for
H istorical V ehicle B uild O f M aterial.
Starting in July of 2000, the HVBOM system started capturing
VIN data from the assembley plants, which means the part number of the components used to build a vehilce are
stored on a database. It's a VERY useful tool for the dealers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Do tell about this new stuff... I have a 2000 & I had my tranny overhauled not too long ago & if I ever have the opertunity again I'd like know know about this. Is this just the shifter or parts in the tranny or??...sorry guys it's Monday I can't get my mind to catch this one yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have yet to put it in but my ford tech friend told me it was sort of a pain and to get the ford procedure for setting the new cables correct. I will snap some pics of my old one and the new one and post them up later so you can see the difference. The first and most expensive part is the piece that bolts into the trans itself(covered by a white plastic cover under the battery/airbox area. The whole movement of the shifter is different since all the cables on the new one connect above the stick pivot point which is nicely spring centered as well as a solid spring in the internal housing piece from the first/second area to gears 3&4. If u have a pre 02.5 year try out the difference at a dealer or friends car that is new. I wanted it last year after focus central was at fun ford at Norwalk and showed me the difference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nobody has replied to my post and I'm anxious to know if anyone knew about the difference with the whole shifter assembly on the mtx-75. IMO this is the best stock mod that can be done to a pre 02.5 model year. Has anyone else reading this done this mod? It's a steep price to pay but the mechanical improvement and trans longevity will be worth it.
I am not shore what exactly you are talking about and I would like to know more. I have 00 zts with the mtx-75. MY first trani whent out at 80k miles and now the one that is in there has 1-2-4-5 If I whant to grind 3 it will go in. So soon I have to do a rebuild and it would be nice to know a little more about what you are replacing and what is all diiferent about the parts

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
838 Posts
i also would like some info my trans/clutch/and diff will be replaced soon.

does anyone know if i can just buy an 03 trans with the new and improved shifter and have it work?

i have an 01 and it wouldn't be hard to find a junked 03 to get a trans from but if it won't work it's a big waste of time

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks cleanzx3. The detail is in the pics but they may need to be lighntened up with a photo editor depending on ur screen.

First pic is the old 00-02.5 with the stock stick cut down and the bend removed as well, along with a different knob than the stock all silver zx3 one.

Second is the new style 02.5 and up not sure about with the new PZEV though. The knob is black rubber grip and silver plastic and the cable connections are above the pivot ball portion.

The cables shown are the new ones and stand out from the old with the bright yellow adjusters.

And the metal thing on the box is the new high dollar part that bolts into and on top of the tranny...the cable connections by the counter weight are located different than the old style.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do this also. And one more thing I need to check on is the little metal bracket that holds the cables to the tranny might be different and probably is which I will still need. So if anyone else finds that out let me know.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks man that is going to help alot when I rebuild my tranni even thought I just replaced everything with the old style parts. but thats no big deal I will just have more parts to add to the pile of oe parts on my garage floor/bedroom floor/shelves/trunk/clauset etc.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
bump anymore info?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
--- Of course there is more info...the final piece to the puzzle is the shifter cable bracket($21.40) that bolts to the trans case up top to anchor the cables. This seems to be the Holly Grail of parts because it took me this long to find AND get one which I picked up tonight.
--- Ok, now to finally get this thing, I had to have them look in model year 2004 which lists as the 2.3 PZEV. There was no difference showing between 00 through 03 with the ford parts computer with any of this stuff even though at this point we know otherwise with some changes being made to the whole mtx-75 these last couple years.
--- Internally the output shaft was changed from having the 3rd and fourth gear "idler gears" cut from the same piece as the shaft itself to having them pressed on after, I believe, february of 01 to present. Thats what makes the critical difference on model years when ordering the final drive ring and pinion that Focus Central offers.
--- And last to convert from the older shifter style to the better 02.5 model year to present you will need the part numbers I listed above along with this simple cable bracket since they floped the shifting counter weight over on its side which changes the route of the cables a little.
--- Ok so I ordered the bracket for the 04 model listed as 3s4z-7474-ga they said a week it'll be in (it was) but when I got there they said I got lucky since that number is coded D99 meaning back ordered till whenever...so it was ordered under the old number prior which is 3s4z-7474-fa and that was coded X11 and they said I may have gotten the last one around for a while but who knows. In any case the new bracket that I recieved is the right one and is stamped 3s4r-7474-fa but has a sticker on it reading 3s4z-7474-fa.
--- So there it is in this post all the parts to make the old tranny shift like the new better design and yes I will be using only the ford synthetic MTF on this new setup.
--- BTW the old bracket that I took off my old tranny was stamped xs4r-7474-bb and thats what the parts guy used to start this last search for a newer number based on model year for the bracket. I had pic up of everything but lost my space so if you wanted to see something and I have a pic just email me.
---Looks like one more thing changed as of the install of the cable bracket last nite...the hydrolic supply line to the trans is routed just a little different to allow the old style to work by making my own grommet but the newer one would prolly be better for piece of mind. Not sure on the part number of that line but it should be simple to find and change if you would want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts