Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On ebay, item number 2429696276 (list off the site is $3,500 which is still a good deal). Seems like a nice basic system, though it needs engine management to be perfect. At the risk of creating competition for bidding, what do you all think? Would probably want to add 42lb injectors, custom chip including timing and fuel maps, and a 70mm Pro-M MAF custom tuned for the injectors... Anyone have experience with this company? The product seems well thought out and they are using quality turbos.

Includes turbonetics t3/t4e stage III, with turbonetics deltagate, all piping, large front mount intercooler, 2.5" downpipe with built in flex, etc.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Never heard about this turbo kit before. But it's hella deal man. Yes... you still need a fuel management, either Pectel or MIC will solve the problem. It says Innovative kit????? I read about the involvement of Innovative turbo in the 500hp focus in HCI if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It looks like they have two different stages. Stage I ($2,395) does not include and intercooler, piping, wastegate, or a blow off valve. The stage II kit which does include those other things costs $3,595.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I saw this kit earlier today, looks pretty, good price, but no management or tuning, maybe a good hardware kit, but then again maybe another GUDE.

If you want to go, better show the dough.
no two ways about it.
you might end up spend more money in the longrun to fix what they didn't do right the first time or lack off,
but maybe not, thats the chance you'll have to take.
I personally never heard of the company, I wouldn't trust it with out some kind of proven tests.
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: New Turbo for Focus - $2,499 with Intercooler?

I agree re the engine management but that is something I can get seperately .. a pectel is on my wishlist but in the meantime i will probably go with a programmable piggyback unit that works with the existing ECU .. these cost about $750 I think, plus new injectors and a correctly sized MAF brings the add-ons to about $1,500. The $2,499 price was the 'buy it now" price until I bid (which removes buy it now) but I they will probably have others after this auction. It is not Gude -- Gude used a Mitsubishi turbo I believe.

Tom -- I thought this might be the same turbonetics used in your kit; no?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Tom -- Why would the T3/T4 take forever to spin up? I though that was the point of the T3/T4 hybrid to spin up quickly for 4 bangers? What do you mean by small kit? Boost? Can't boost just be increased once I get proper engine management (MAF, injectors, computer)? esp with the large intercooler, i would have thought that this would be an ideal matchup for the focus.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

T3/T4 turbos are cheep and very old school,Slow spooling and out dated it will take higher RPM to see good boost and if you only want to make 8 to 10 psi this will not happen quickly and in a lower RPM range where it will be useable and streetable for the Focus engine

There are MANY good turbos on the market that will do a MUCH better job and spool much quicker and still make the power of the t3/t3 turbo but they cost more and then the kit price goes up

Any one making a turbo kit for the Focus and has to tuning and sais it will make 200HP is NOT looking out for the Focus

And again why buy a kit that has a stage 1 stage 2 stage 3 you end up with 2 times the money in it and way mor that my kit cost and mine will still out run there stage what ever

Stage 1,2,3 kits are only good for the manfacture they know that 95% of the people will end up with the stage 2 or 3 and make 2 times the money from you buying the 2nd or 3rd stages

Just my thoughts

Tom

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The only thing I can find about new turbos is the GT series turbos. The GT series turbos were designed in the 1990's. The T04B was design in the mid 1980's while the T04E was design after the T04B design. Garret design the ball bearing technology in 1986.

·
Registered
232 Posts
this company also uses an adapter for the turbo to go on the stock manifold.It would be nice to have seen them build an actualy manifold

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks Tom -- I value your input greatly.

Is there is source for spec sheets that would tell me (and others interested in custom setups) how quickly various turbo's spool up? Or is this just something you have to learn from experience?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

Tom,

Just wondering. How many people are using 100% of the power your turbo kit puts out? I'm guessing, but I'd bet there's a larger <250 hp market for the Focus than a >250 market.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts

I would say about 100% is over the 250 mark or has been

Look at it like this if people would stay at or below the 250 mark there would be no need for a stage 1,2,3 kit ,But the builders/sellers of these kits know for a fact that boost is addictive and they will come back for more hence stage 2, For 1000 to 1500.00 + tuning you can have more boost now your at 4000.00 + tuning ,Ah now im a happy guy dont need any more than this ,Yea right for 6 months he is a happy guy and thinks of how good it felt from stage one to stage two and calls and orders stage 3 for another 1000 to 1500.00 + tuning he now has stage 3and has spent 5500.00 + tuning MIC=815.00 + TUNING 3 TIMES=300.00 So now he is pushing 7000.00 for a turbo kit that in most cases the piping from the stage 1 is to small for the stage 3 and gives up lots of TQ/ power and at close to 7000.00 and labor for installing 3 kits he is at less power that just turning up the boost on my kit

I have done the stage 1,2,3 kits for the SVO mustangs for years if the customer did not sell the car or wreck it 100% came back for the next stage and im talking about 60 to 70 kits they all ended up with stage 3 kits and 30 to 40 % started with stage 1 kits ,Yes iv done it but i started with a small kit on my car and every time i made it better it was a Diff. stage and i would sell the updates and tuning

On the Focus i would not do this only thing needed for 400HP is better turbo ,return fuel system and larger injectors, The turbo kit it self on my 440HP is not changed from the first kit i put on

Tom

·
Registered
5,580 Posts

if only money grew on trees tom...oh well the mild NA route i must continue to hike...

-Ult

·
Registered
186 Posts

I will have to agree with Tom,
Why would anyone make a turbokit in stages except in order to get more money from you.
Make it right the first time in order to be a universal stage where just a few additives and changes and you got more.
Just my opion.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

Toms got a great kit...no doubt there. The thing is, we have a SLEW of folks wanting a 200-225 hp car. Saying that anyone that gets a taste of 200hp HAS to have 250, then HAS to have 300, then HAS to ...... is sorta saying that everyone is like him.

A Ford Focus CANNOT lay down 300 hp without major work...all you're going to do is spin the front tires. It's WORTHLESS on a street Focus. Now if you're into digger racing (drag racing for those not familar with that term) all that power is great.....but, since I don't see a bunch of folks busting 11-12 second times, I'll assume most are buzzing around (very happy) with less than 250 hp.

A Focus with 200-225 whp will move VERY nice on the street.

There is a market for less hp (and a less costly kit). It's Toms choice if he choices to let those folks slip through his fingers by telling them "They all want more". This may be true...so what, sell them an upgrade. Nobody holds a gun to their head when they buy the cheaper kit.

Tom has pretty much proven he has a top-notch turbo system to offer folks....He could clean house with a "cheap" 3000.00 kit. He has the hardware....just make a nice "simple" kit not intended for the hard-core boost fanatic.
A "Stage 1" and a "Stage 2" if you will. I'll guarantee he's lost customers because of the price of his "one size fits all" kit.

·
Registered
186 Posts

You do have a very good point, 225 horsepower would be alot of fun and I would be pleased,
But my major point here is, these guys do not have any numbers or they do not state any kind of warranty, at least none that I have seen.

So with this typical kit we don't even know it it will give you the 225 or eve the 200 that a lot people are after.
Not saying Toms is the only one there are quite a few, and more keep popping up,

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

And we know full well Tom could do a "no worries, performance guarenteed" 200 hp Turbo kit....if he wanted to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts