Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm not sure if I like this yet. I liked the drawings better. I do like the idea a lot, though, especially this part:

"RWD? Mid-engine? In a Volkswagen? Yes folks, Dr. Pischetsrieder is obviously making his past history with BMW felt at VWAG and potentially setting the stage for an interesting future. The Concept R is a Golf V-sized two-seater powered by a 265hp 3.2l VR6 with power routed through a six-speed Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) transmission to the *REAR* wheels."

The cool thing about concepts is that they can change. I would like to see something more "VW-like."

More info at VW Vortex

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Wow.....I like it a lot....I know what you mean about "VW like", but I can also understand if that want to differentiate it from Audiness a little further.....mmm nice ,very short overhangs unlike the ones that I thought ruined the production Boxster vs. the original prototype.

and who doesn't want a VR6 to finally being howling its sweet song in a mid engine car.

But as always.....I fear the inevitable bloat. Bring on the 2.0 mid-engine 1500lb car that's been hinted at.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that they'll want to keep it light. The whole idea was to have a nimble speedster. The stated weight for the concept had previously been around 1500, maybe 1700 lbs. Something in my head keeps saying a bit over 1300, though. Anyone remember the weight that VW talked about?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I like it! Reminds me a of a Boxter though

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I think that they'll want to keep it light. The whole idea was to have a nimble speedster. The stated weight for the concept had previously been around 1500, maybe 1700 lbs. Something in my head keeps saying a bit over 1300, though. Anyone remember the weight that VW talked about?
Is this that super light car that was discussed a while back? This here is described as "Golf V" sized, and along with the big power-- I highly doubt it is in the sub-ton class no? If this really is the same concept I'm friggin' more stoked than ever!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Oh yes. I'd race that.
you, me, and a heck of a lot of others too i imagine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Is this that super light car that was discussed a while back? This here is described as "Golf V" sized, and along with the big power-- I highly doubt it is in the sub-ton class no? If this really is the same concept I'm friggin' more stoked than ever!!
I don't think it's possible. With those boxter like specs its a boxter weight car 2800-3000 lbs too. If Porsche could shave the boxter to that weight they would have already. You'd have to either build it out of high tech materials (and sell it for $85,000+) or make it so squirrely that it wouldn't sell. If they could even shave it down to Miata/MR-S weight I would be very very surprised. Elise weight with a 3.2l V6? Call me skeptical.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yep, I think there's no question the superlight mid-engine thing is a completely different concept than this.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Good luck getting a U.S. regulation car that weighs in at under 2000 lbs. (even the base Miata is 2387 lbs.)

I'm all for light cars with high power-to-weight ratios but until alternative materials become more commonplace you can pretty much discount that formula.

Commenting on the design, I was a little let down. I agree it's not "VW" enough (first off, the front badge needs to be large enough to cut into the hood) it's trying way too hard to be a Boxster.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Commenting on the design, I was a little let down. I agree it's not "VW" enough (first off, the front badge needs to be large enough to cut into the hood) it's trying way too hard to be a Boxster.
Love the idea of a BIG VW badge, but I don't think it's all that fair to claim that it's trying to hard to be a Boxster. Sure, from this image the rear end evokes it right away, especially with the sharp cues of a center brake light and center exhausts. But aside from the this rear image........I think it sets itself apart greatly and nicely........the front end has an upright grill, and among shapes and lighting treatment is nothing like a boxster, plus the front fender extensions and the two lines that extend all the way from them to the rear deck are completely different as well. This thing looks more Opel / Vauxhall than Porsche to me.

I'm liking it more......curious what changes to come.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good luck getting a U.S. regulation car that weighs in at under 2000 lbs. (even the base Miata is 2387 lbs.)
Hard anyway. My MR-2 is technically 2195, but I could drop 200 lbs off it without too much trouble. Lose the full size spare, swap the wheels and 1/4 tank of gas and it would be close. The US spec Elise is certainly targeting < 2000 lbs, but they are bound to be fighting DOT for every pound.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Ron, do you have the pics from the "VW to build Boxter for the people" post you made a while back? That was the article in which it was reported that the weight was going to be 1300-1500 lbs. I found the old thread, but the pics were gone.
I think it was scanned from CAR Magazine.

·
Banned
613 Posts
ok granted this is a prototype but if they were intentionally trying to save weight in this car wouldnt they put in the 1.8t engine instead... hell borrow even more from audi and put in the 1.8tt mid engine rear drive and ud be saving 45-50 lbs right there over the beefy v6... it may not have the same torque numbers but itd still have the horse to get up and go along with any other roadster in its class including the boxter. but hey im only 21 and a youngin.. whadda i know anyways????

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
Murph: Not a Boxster clone (as in blatant rip off) but close enough in dimensions/packaging.

Randy: I don't have those pics. I know they are on Vortex somewhere, the original rendering is a more dramatic (the one with the woman in sunglasses behind the wheel).

garyrich: Granted the current MR gets close to 2000. But I'll stick to my original prediction that VW can't bring this to the U.S. under 2000 lbs. Besides the numbers that were being thrown around, even 1700 is WAY under 2000.

I'll also "weight" to see
if the Lotus comes in under 2000 as well. This car has been so much vaporware for so long, I'll reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh in U.S. trim.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts