Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm new to the Zetec scene I just got a 5 speed ZX3 and I really dont care that much about looks. Really the only thing I will do to the car is tires, rims, suspension, and lowering it, I am really going for straight speed. Whats the Cheapest but most productive parts for my engine? What should I start with, anything to help me make this car fast would be appreciated.

·
Registered
481 Posts
SvTBv,
I'm a little confused, you said "the only thing I will do to the car is tires, rims, suspension, and lowering it, I am really going for straight speed". But then you ask about performance mods... ? Not to mention you bought a car that you don't like the way it looks...

All that aside and to address the performance mods. The typical starting place is to replace the stock air intake and exhaust. On the intake side, you have several choices, Iceman, AEM short ram and full length CAI, Injen, K&N FIPK, Volant and other short rams. For exhaust, if you can afford it, take out the entire exhaust from the header all the way to the bumper. Ford purposely made the intake and the exhaust restictive for power, economy, noise, and emissions reasons. Keep the power down for insurance and other economic reasons, supress the noise since the Focus is not a race car, etc..

Once you've opened up the intake and exhaust, the 65mm throttle body is a good choice. Then get a set of ajustable cam sprockets/gears and get your car to a tuner with a dyno to tune in your new intake and exhaust.

That ought to be a good start and then you can add a body kit, suspension mods, a nice set of Ford Racing 17" wheels and some Nitto tires
Lot's to choose from, see http://www.myfordfocus.com/performance.htm for list of the many products and vendors who sell them.

Hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts