Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

I've been using this site for info since I got my SPI focus last spring but never registered with the site. Anyways I was wondering if anyone here could help me with a problem. For the last month or two when I'm driving my car its been dragging. When you open the throttle the engine sounds muffled like its not getting enough of something but sometimes will pick up late in the powerband for whatever reason and right after you shift it just loses all its power. I have some simple bolt ons and a borla exaust and CAI and the focussport chip and usually when I open the throttle it'll start to scream louder and louder. I've tried using a bottle of fuel system cleaner but really haven't tried too much else. Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Welcome to the jet.

When ws the last time the plugs or wires where replaced? Also how does your cai air filter look? How many miles are on the car and is it a mtx or atx?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plugs and wires are have been on for 30k miles and the CAI filter is brand new. Its 41k miles and the atx.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cel isn't on... the fluid is good but not completely full but the problem still existed when it was full. It looks and smells fine. orp?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Have you tryed removing the chip and seeing how it runs? I have heard some poeple have had issues with some fs chips.

Other thing that comes to mind is the maf might be dirty. Oy might need a cleaning. If you have oiled your cai filter, and applied to much, it can get on the maf and through the signail off.

http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showf...&PHPSESSID=

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually cleaned it today after I made the first post with rubbing alcohol... I've tried taking the chip out before with no luck either

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Where do you live? I know at least three good SPI gurus in OH.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
OK: Here's some things to check:
1) DPFE sensor. On the firewall behind the CAI, just above the EGR valve. Check the hoses for leaks or breaks. No CEL doesn't mean the DPFE didn't take a crap on you.
2) Do you run an 02 cheater on the ORP? If not, BINGO!
3) Are your clamps tight on your CAI, especially past the MAF? ANY leak will make your car run like sheot.
4) Coilpack. Seems we've had a rash of coilpacks splitting lately. Water in coilpack=how your car runs.
5) Fuel filter? Done that lately?
6) How's the timing? I doubt it's off, but it never hurts to check. Only do this AFTER you haveexhausted all the other options, as it is a bit of a stretch if you're not into engines.

Keep us informed.

Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually I live 10 minutes from the ohio state line in western PA and depending on where in ohio I would definitely make a trip out there. The hoses look good. I don't have an 02 cheater but I do have the focussport chip option that disables the cel from the 02 sensors. I checked the clamps on the bends and they are fine. The coilpack looks like new (the car is only a year old and was in florida the bulk of the time). Haven't changed the fuel filter yet. As for the timing I'm not sure. I installed an adj cam gear myself about 15k miles ago and haven't had a problem. I've taken the car to ford complaining about the problem and they didn't recommend anything and all I left with was a 80 computer diagnostic charge... go figure.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Check the info in team tech about coilpack wires. If you lived anywhere near the ocean in Florida, this could've expedited any bad-wiring issues.

Also, take your coilpack off and look at all sides. My stocker has a small split in it on the BACKSIDE that I can't see or feel while it's in place.

Also, check your plugs/wires/contacts. My Screamin' Demon had a contact fall out. I didn't realize this and car was running really bad. I'd taken the wires off numerous times before and never thought to check there. I finally checked it out when one of the mechanics who was working on my piping said he got zapped TWICE from an arc coming from the wire/coilpack area. Check the contact points to make sure everything is appropriate at the connection between plug and wire, too.

When looking at all that, check your wires and make sure you don't have any exposed wires. They can be burned through. I had some FS wires on the car pre-turbo era and hadn't realized that one wire was resting on the valve cover. Slowly exposed some wiring. Then when I took that set off, it pulled one of the contacts out of the boot (ie, stayed ON the plug).

These all seemed to cause similar issues to what you are describing.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I've looked at the wires and they all look good... took off the wires and the contacts on the coilpack and the plugs look good too. I'm going to look at the pack tomorrow but I can't imagine how it would crack without the extreme temperatures... I lived near daytona beach so it stays fairly mild all year long but I'll check anyways. Ford did one of their diagnostics where they bang you out for $80 and said nothing showed up. Oh and I think I forgot to mention the problem really rears its ugly head when you tackle hills and put more of a load on the engine. I basically need to floor it to do the speed limit up an incline and the car sounds like its being lulled to sleep which makes me think its not getting enough air/fuel but if I just keep patient and don't WOT then sometimes it catches the power late for whatever reason but when it shifts up the power drops out completely and just barely can maintain speed. On city streets the problem is much less noticable. Its usually there on interstate or country driving you feel it the most. I don't know if thats confusing but you just have to drive it to feel the frustration

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
If it doesn't feel like the engine is reving and the tranny isn't catching it which would be a tranny problem then the first thing I would do is drop the fuel tank and clean that darn fuel pump filter in the tank. Just make sure the tank is near empty if you plan on doing it, makes things much easier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well I'm a DIY but I don't know. Is it something I could get over my head in or is it pretty straightforward? I haven't changed the regular fuel filter yet either so maybe I'll try that first. I've noticed though the little things I've been doing have given me a little boost of power so my efforts aren't in vain
. I'm not sure I want to get a new fuel filter yet though considering I almost always run premium fuel and the car has just turned 1 in June. So until I decide the input is still appreciated

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh yeah and did I mention this problem is killing my gas mileage at the time when gas is the most expensive its ever been? Me and my car just aren't getting along lately.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts