Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I'm new to the Focus ZX3 crowd..I was wondering what would get better gains. AF/X pulley and VOLANT intake or VOLANT Intake and Ported 2000 IM.I have a ATX and it sucks ours can't hold lots of power. My last car a 95 Olds Achieva had tons of torque and my auto tranny could hold 260ft-lbs of torue so if I start to go big I'm gonna do the Race overhaul kit for the Focus. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I'm assuming he doesn't have an SPI, since he said he's "new to the Focus ZX3 crowd"... What's this race overhaul kit you speak of? I don't know what sort of gains you'd get from a ported intake manifold without porting your head as well; just go with the underdrive pulley and Volant to begin with

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'd definately suggest the ported Manifold and the Volant if thats your choice...

But with you being ATX like I am, I would suggest the Iceman Intake. The iceman is proven to have the best low-end tq gains, which is key in our slow ATX Foci.

As for the race overhaul. I have the fully built transmission by Performance Automatic and I love it!!... Even now with all my aftermarket stripped off, the car still pulls hard and shifts like a champ while running at stock power

By the way... Welcome to the Jet. Feel free to hit me up w/ any questions you have

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toolbox I want the most gains for my money cuz well I'm a college student..I don't mind waiting and paying more for something better that will get me better gains..would the Volant get me better gains sence its a box and has a cone type filter? I don't know if any of you guys have tried this but on my achieva I bought Lexan to make a box it worked like a charm..LEXAN is so thick that it blocks the heat..and it was like night and day difference when I had a WAI in my achieva I actually got my low end back with the box ..just an Idea...also will the Iceman or Volant get rid of the bog ..I've been told the AEM CAI does but well I live in michigan ..don't want to only have performance for a couple months of the year

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
hey, i live in kalamazoo. hit the michigan crew up on The Focus Connection. in answer to your question, i have the volant and an auto and i think its just fine. it does have a little less low end than the stock, but it gets into its range quick enough for me, and i have a 30 minute city driving commute.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey whats up man.I lived out in Kzoo this past winter for school..went to Western of course. I want to be wise on the mods I get just because there are so many mods out there for this car. My last car everything had to be custom made or it cost way more then what it should. Thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
hey whats up man.I lived out in Kzoo this past winter for school..went to Western of course. I want to be wise on the mods I get just because there are so many mods out there for this car. My last car everything had to be custom made or it cost way more then what it should. Thanks
I hear you are quite the tickler in bed?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
IMO, definately the intake and mani. Damn I love my manifold! Though it is more money, less gains, and a lot longer install
, there's just something about setting yourself apart from everyone who has the same redundant parts (like myself). Talk to Erik for one if I haven't discouraged you- www.FocusTrends.com 2000 P&P'ed $175 or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts