Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, its been a while, but here it goes anyway. I've got the mods (listed in sig) and want to do a header upgrade. Quick advice on experience with this. I'll get it pro installed.
1. Which one? FOcus SPort?
2. What real difference will I get? I've got the exhaust and intake to compliment.
3. Is it worth the money?

What is a good place to shop.
THanks for any help.

jp

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey JP,

I have the JBA shortys I like them but I won't be able to see their full potential until I get a high flow cat. If you do not get the cat the difference is very minimal. From what I hear though if you want to keep it legal emmission wise it will cost more money but the results should be very close not the same but close to racing headers.

So the decision is yours.....

Paparoach

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you get a JBA Race header and then add the random tech hiflow cat will you be able to put the 2nd o2 sensor in after the cat and keep the CEL off, and how much you think I am looking at with that exhaust setup

·
Registered
384 Posts
FC race header, just got it installed today and its great. Sounds like a beast. Just use a 02 cheater and you will have no problems with any CELs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3 comments. First Thanks all for the help, its good to know that we foci folk have a place to get good info from. Second, What is a CEL and if i get a JBA header will it make me fail a smog test. If i get a "cheater"<---what is this, will it let me pass the smog test.
Thanks
JP

·
Registered
883 Posts
Originally posted by jaguarpriest:
3 comments. First Thanks all for the help, its good to know that we foci folk have a place to get good info from. Second, What is a CEL and if i get a JBA header will it make me fail a smog test. If i get a "cheater"<---what is this, will it let me pass the smog test.
Thanks
JP
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Very simple piece that snaps to your existing O2 sensor. It only tricks the computer so you would not pass the smog test.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you choose any shorty header the only way to pass emissions other than keeping your stock cat is to buy a high flow cat. CEL is the check engine light.
Currently only Random Technologies makes a bolt on high flow cat, but Bosal's should be out soon. It all depends if you want to pass or not...

Paparoach

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great Info all, yeah I want to pass and don't want to deal with putting anything stock back into the car. So which wich High Flow Cat is safe to pass. Or at least cheat when it comes smog time. Thanks all. I'm in Cali and people think air is sacred here.
jp

·
Registered
133 Posts
From what Bandit said the Bosal Cat will pass emissions in all 50 states. I am not 100 percent sure on the Random Tech one but I do see the purpose of having a cat if it isn't going to pass emissions.
The random tech cat is I believe around $375 and Bandit has informed me that he is trying to be about 100 dollars cheaper. I would just wait for the Bosal, they are testing it this week and we should know very soon the results. Hold tight though

Paparoach

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great Info all, yeah I want to pass and don't want to deal with putting anything stock back into the car. So which wich High Flow Cat is safe to pass. Or at least cheat when it comes smog time. Thanks all. I'm in Cali and people think air is sacred here.
jp
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Food for thought...if there is no visual inspection there is a good chance you will be able to pass the smog test. The car runs really clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info, maybe I will be a little patient and wait for the results. They will be the sell all for me. Thanks for the help all. For now, who's got a good deal on the JBA header right now? or Focus Sports,
jp

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good info, maybe I will be a little patient and wait for the results. They will be the sell all for me. Thanks for the help all. For now, who's got a good deal on the JBA header right now? or Focus Sports,
jp
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd steer clear of the JBA's everyone had problems with them cracking. I like the FC the best if they have taken care of their rust issues that they had
. The FS one is a work of art though, a beautiful well made piece.

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
Originally posted by ruggedman:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by jaguarpriest:
jp
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd steer clear of the JBA's everyone had problems with them cracking. I like the FC the best if they have taken care of their rust issues that they had
. The FS one is a work of art though, a beautiful well made piece.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The cracking JBA's were in the past gens. If you get a Gen 3 you should be alright. I know several people that have Gen 2's and are fine and I sold a Gen 3 off my car and it was flawless.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Originally posted by zx3ford:
The cracking JBA's were in the past gens. If you get a Gen 3 you should be alright. I know several people that have Gen 2's and are fine and I sold a Gen 3 off my car and it was flawless.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My 3rd Gen JBA "shorty" header cracked.
In fact, I know of a couple people here and in Hawaii that had their 3rd Gen header cracked!
There's some FS "shorty" headers that cracked too.

Seems like the theory of shorty headers not holding up well in our engines is true.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Originally posted by iamgod:
i have the steeda 4-2-1 race header with o2 sensors INSTALLED no CEL's runs great and dudes right it is a beast!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's the FC header. I'd never put anything as rediculous looking as a shorty header under my hood

1 - 16 of 16 Posts