Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have used Nightshades, Does it spray on black or clear? Can you control the level of tint sprayed on? For example: I have the clear corners on my front bumper, and I would like to have them lightly smoked (NOT Blacked out). Can this be done with fewer layers?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
yea, two or three coats should be enough to give them a smoked apperance. I used it on my taillights and the blinkers in the grill. I was satisfied with results. If you have a carbon fiber hood it looks really good if the blinkers in the grill are darkened, really brings everything together.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Just make sure you seal the niteshades with something. I thought I did a good job sealing it, but its started to come off a few months later

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. So does it spray on clear and dry dark, or can you tell how dark it's going to be while you're spraying it on. And what would I use to "seal" it? Like a clearcoat spray or something?

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
I havent used it.. But I'd say work one coat at a time, and after the first coat dries, u should have a general idea of the darkness of one coat. So let the each coat you want dry, and if you want darker, one more coat. And so on. And clearcoat spray is a good idea too.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
You can tell while your doing it.

Make sure you prep right.

-Wetsand with wet 1500 grit paper
-Wipe with rubbing alcohol, don't touch lens after this
-Spray Niteshades on in light coats. 4 or 5 very light coats is a good amount. If you start to get what look like little tiny threads on the lens, you're holding the can too far away while spraying, you want to hold the Niteshades about 8 inches away which is kinda close compared to other sprays.
-Spray Clearcoat on in heavier coats. This part is kinda tough. You don't want light coats when using canned clear coat, it won't look right, you have to put it on heavy. You don't want it to run though either. So, shake the can well and start spraying. You'll see it filling in the little dimples with clear, right before it starts to run you stop spraying. I did two coats like this and it still looks great a year later.

·
Registered
242 Posts
E-rock,the Nightshades sprays very thin.So it can spot & run easily.Spray many light even coats.It also has a slight red cast to it,as it was made originally for taillights.
I've had my front turn signals done with it for over a year now with no noticeable difference in shading.I did'nt clear mine.I've been waiting to have to do them over but so far so good for me.

I once tried it on the headlights too.Turned out I did'nt like that and used acetone to take it off. Came off easily and I have seen no damage on the plastic from it so I think even if you don't like how yours turns out,it's no problem taking it right off.

Have fun
rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts