Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
O .
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok welp i plan on putting Nitrous on my car later this summer and i dunno what size shot i should use. i know 75 shot is plenty safe but i have 85k and will prolly have 90 when it goes on should i kick down to 50 or would i be safe with a 75 and maybe a lil extra fuel? also i plan on using an rpm window switch and full throttle switch i wanna set up rpm swith for 3k to 6500

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would do a compression test just to be safe. If the vehicle is well maintained there should be no problems running 50-75 shot. Just make sure you run enough octane and colder plugs.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would do a compression test just to be safe. If the vehicle is well maintained there should be no problems running 50-75 shot. Just make sure you run enough octane and colder plugs.
Exactly. Fortunately I have seen VERY few ZETEC engines with significant compression loss, and those were neglected, high-mileage engines. I have heard rumors of the ZETEC developing blow-by early, but I have never seen evidence of it. My engine has (sigh) over 170k on the clock and it still pushes ~185 PSI on all cylinders. Most ZX2 ZETECs push 190 max when at their peak.

At any rate, rent a compression gauge or buy one and plug it in, crank it 7 or so times, and compare the results to the other cylinders. They should all be within 5% or 10 psi of each other or something is goofy. If you want to go more into it, squirt some oil into the combustion chamber, check the compression again and see if there is a significant increase (my definition of significant is 15% or more).

If everything is on the up and up, get your nitrous, do the install yourself (it is complicated to figure out but I am sure you are capable of it), and launch, spray, and enjoy!

Oh, and make sure those plugs are gapped to LESS than .042. Mine are at about .039 and eliminated my initial surging issues under boost.

Good things to have, in my mildly educated order of importance (which I am sure more experienced individuals will chime in to contradict):

Nitrous pressure gauge
Fuel pressure gauge
WOT switch
Window switch
Purge valve
Blow down tube
New set of pants because when you spray effectively for the first time, your smile will be so big your passenger will have to ask you "what's that smell?"

Andrew

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh, and make sure those plugs are gapped to LESS than .042. Mine are at about .039 and eliminated my initial surging issues under boost.
Mine are gapped at .065 but I also have the Screamin' Demon Coil Pack w/ Live Wires. This is OK, correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts