Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the SVTF suspension kit on my 00 ZX3 and I now have a slight "tick" or clicking noise from the front strut top area. The noise is not loud as the radio on med -low almost drowns it out but it is there. It occurrs while driving and can be heard as well when pushing down on the front while the car is parked.

The kit was new as well as new strut tops, bearings and spring isolators. Everything was torqued to spec except for a close guess on the strut top nut since I don't have a way to torque it while holding the strut shaft.

Any ideas on what to look for ? the sound is new since the SVTF suspension.

Is it possible that the springs are upside down ? They fit well with the strut shaft almost centered in the middle of the spring where as the other way the shaft was way off center. ( IIRC the orange and yellow painted coils where on the bottom )

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Noise after SVT suspension install

Since no one replied I took off the front struts to check things out. I installed rubber hose as a spring isolator on both the top and bottom of the springs and double checked the tightness of the top nut. ( it was about 3/4 of a turn loose ) and put everything back together. The car has no noise.

I
The clicking sound was coming from the top of the strut so it is more likely that the nut was just loose enough that it caused the noise but I'm not sure. It also could have been where the end of the spring sat in the cup or spring seat up top and with the isolator now is quiet. If you run into this issue and have spring isolator on one end but not the other and you double checked that the top strut nut is tight I suggest putting a bit of hose as a spring isolator on the opposite end.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: Noise after SVT suspension install

The nut on both sides was not tight enough for me and I had the same sound problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts