Ford Focus Forum banner

Noise From Front Left Wheel

626 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  belacyrf 
#1 ·
Can someone give me some possible ideas of what it can be? Here's the deal:

Since I have no cat, I can only hear it when I'm decelerating with the the clutch it... It is definatley tied to tire rotation and not RPM's, however brake modulation does not effect the sound at all. The sound is there for maybe 1/2 the tire rotation, then quiet for the other half, hopefully that helps you imagine what it sounds like. It sounds like something squealing/rubbing. But I really doubt it's rubbing. I'm thinking the wheel bearing, but I didn't know if that could cause this sound. It's realyl wierd, because sometimes it's completey gone, and sometimes it's really loud! The sound is usually a squeel, but sometimes sounds like a soft grinding sound (not the kind where you cringe)... any ideas???

#2 ·
That sounds like what happened to me it turned out to be the differential going out. If you have a warenty get it check out!!! If i did not get it repaired when i had the warenty it would have been 1200+ through dealer. If the car starts jumping while using the engine to deselerate then you got the same thing as me

#4 ·
Naa it's not the LSD, since I have the quaife.. it should be warrantied forever
but it's definately near the wheel!! And yes, I seem to hear it more turning the wheels to the left than the right. And Ford Just replaced the whole CV joint about a month ago!
I dunno..

Hey Sport.. you going to willow man?? If you show we could have a record. 13 Foci!!!!

#6 ·
Ok.. well I've listened to it a bit more today, and it's more of a Creeking sound. If you go slow enough you can hear it creek for about 1/3 or so of the wheel cycle. At higher speeds it's more of a quick whine, but at low low speeds (1-5 mph) you can really hear it creek. Kind of like an old rocking chair!

#7 ·
I’m sticking with the money on the CV joint, but on the off chance… have you lifted the wheel off the ground and turned it? While it’s up there, double-check the disk/caliper clearance and the torque on the lugs. If nothing else, rule them out.

Just get it fixed... I don't want you pulling a "Mini" at The Streets!!

#8 ·
Yea I took it to Ford again this morning. I took the tech for a test drive and made him listen to it. It's definately tied to tire rotation, and is not part of the brakes, the sound doesn't change with brake pressure. So I think your right.. since the ONLY thing that has changed on this car recently is that Ford replaced that very same CV joint about a month ago. So I'm thinking it just was installed incorrectly or something like that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.