Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all!
As my native language isn't English it is possible that I will have difficulties in expressing my question correctly but I will try

Some months ago I purchased a set of Nokian NRHi (195/60R15) tires for my Focus. Today I noticed that there is an unusual situation which I will try to explain.
My tires have asymmetrical thread designs. The thread is directional too. On the tire there are three major longitudinal channels but two of them are near one side, one of them is near the other side.
I think, although the tires have asymmetrical designs, they should be symmetrical on the vehicle. That means, the sides of the tires with two longitudinal channels must be on the outside or on the inside of the vehicle on both sides. Let me please explain this with a figure (http://www.sumeryamaner.org/nrhi2.jpg)
But in may car this is not the case (http://www.sumeryamaner.org/nrhi1.jpg)
The direction arrows on all four tyres show the correct direction. Any ideas / comments are welcome.
Thank you.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
This is how the tire should be:

Based on the pictures, the two longitudinal channels should be on the sidewall side that faces outwards.

The other picture you posted appears to be manipulated for some reason:

Note this right tire's markings for the NRHI appear just a mirror image of the tire on the left?

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking or what the problem is. Are the longitudinal channels not all the same way i.e. not all tires have the two outer channels on the outwards side?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I suspect that the 'expected configuration' is the correct one...and that you need to change the actual configuraton to match; go see whoever sold the tires/mounted the tires and have them correct the concern.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was at the dealer a couple of hours ago and he said that this is a unique feature of Nokian NRHi series. I sent an email to Nokian Corp. and I am waiting on their reply.
Btw I cannot change the configuration because if I do so the rotation direction of the tires will be reversed!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Are the tires marked 'inside' / 'outside' or 'this side out' or anything to that effect?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reply from Nokian:

"Dear Sir
There is no left and right ones in Nokian NRHi. The most important thing is rolling direction. Please check mounting instructions from our homepages."

These tires have similar inner and outer sidewalls and it is not important which side is on the outside. The single important factor is the direction.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Reply from Nokian:

"Dear Sir
There is no left and right ones in Nokian NRHi. The most important thing is rolling direction. Please check mounting instructions from our homepages."

These tires have similar inner and outer sidewalls and it is not important which side is on the outside. The single important factor is the direction.
If you go to the Nokian Tyre website and look up mounting instructions for their siblings, the NRVi, it actually states:

In new Nokian NRVi tyre there are no left and right handed tyres like in earlier Nokian NRV.

Learn something new every day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts