Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new guy here 1st post,I traded my 2000 Lightning for a Compitetion Orange SVT Focus,I have to be honest even tho i am quite mad at Ford and Svt,the car when running good is a great machine.Only problem is i have a few of the common problems assiociated with this car(low RPM bog,surge problem,very squicky drivers window(im suprized the other glass hasent shattered yet)and very poor AC unless your driving over 30mphI can understand problems with cars and FOrds definatly willing to try to fix these things but what worries me is the surging and low rpm bog,these have been problems since the cars inception and i fear that they will never be able to fix this problem.Spoke with SVT today and the best they could tell me is at least a month before the new upgrade will be ready!!!!

Im seriously looking into an SRT4 this week,Im gonna take a huge loss but its worth it for piece of mind.

Dont get me wrong im not a whiner just a little pist and needed to vent.

so how was your day??

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I understand your frustration and concern. However, it sounds to me like you knew about the problem/issue before purchasing the car and should have checked it out on your test drive. If not, you at least knew it was possible your car would have the same issue. With that said, it was your decision to buy it! I have learned to deal with it until they put the fix out. The thing that bothers me is the stumble between 2-3k, but I have learned to deal with that as well. Plus I know in a yr or so I will be trading in for another car anyway.

oh yeah, welcome to the jet!

·
Registered
582 Posts
They should be able to fix most of that. Coming from a Lightning what you perceive as low rpm bog may just be normal. It's a NA 4 banger, it doens't have any grunt off the line. It has zip zero nada power from idle to about 2000 rpm. The low rpm power problem that some people have is the dual intake stuck in the short runner position. That causes no power until you hit > 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I hate to bash other vehicles, but if you think life in a Neon will be better from a reliability stand point...I have a bridge to sell you
j/k
Seriously, please read about the issues with the SRT-4 before you make that decision.
If I got out of my car, I would get an RSX. sweet car, reliable and an aftermarket that is more serious than ours.
Good luck either way.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hey new guy here 1st post,I traded my 2000 Lightning for a Compitetion Orange SVT Focus,I have to be honest even tho i am quite mad at Ford and Svt,the car when running good is a great machine.Only problem is i have a few of the common problems assiociated with this car(low RPM bog,surge problem,very squicky drivers window(im suprized the other glass hasent shattered yet)and very poor AC unless your driving over 30mphI can understand problems with cars and FOrds definatly willing to try to fix these things but what worries me is the surging and low rpm bog,these have been problems since the cars inception and i fear that they will never be able to fix this problem.Spoke with SVT today and the best they could tell me is at least a month before the new upgrade will be ready!!!!

Im seriously looking into an SRT4 this week,Im gonna take a huge loss but its worth it for piece of mind.

Dont get me wrong im not a whiner just a little pist and needed to vent.

so how was your day??
Piece of mind? Isnt thats what the warranty is for? Also, as Jason pointed out it appears that you have done your home work on this car. If you were worried about the problems, then why buy the car? I can see if the lemon law comes into play, but personally I dont mind having my svt at the dealer while I get to drive around in a free rent car. (hey keeps the mileage down on the svt) I wish you luck with the srt-4, I have heard about those being just as problem ridding as ours, maybe more. Could be bs though, just stuff I heard...you know how that goes. I would also recomend the acura rsx...but the type-s. If money is not an issue I would also look into the new evo, but I would not trade any of those for my svt...well maybe the evo, then sell it with out driving it, then get another svt focus, and then use the left over cash for f/i!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I understand your frustration and concern. However, it sounds to me like you knew about the problem/issue before purchasing the car and should have checked it out on your test drive. If not, you at least knew it was possible your car would have the same issue. With that said, it was your decision to buy it! I have learned to deal with it until they put the fix out. The thing that bothers me is the stumble between 2-3k, but I have learned to deal with that as well. Plus I know in a yr or so I will be trading in for another car anyway.

oh yeah, welcome to the jet!
I think I have this same problem, the 2-3K stumble, is it a common issue. I dont remember reading about it anywhere else. Dealer told me no fix. Its kinda like a very short power loss. I call it a hickup. Doesn't seem to happen all the time, just alot of the time. Same thing? Just currious.

Sorry to rob the post!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
setzer,

yes, that is exactly what it is. Like a hicup. It actually feels sometimes like it is jerking a little bit like it is missing or something. I have had the dealer look at it a couple times and they say it has to do with some mechanical part I think. I really don't know, they said there is no fix. What I really wish they could fix is the grease on my damn window. They got one side fixed it appears, but the other side still has issues and nobody can seem to figure out how to fix it. oh well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the opinions guys,but i dont believe i said anything about knowing about the problems,I didnt discover them until after the purchase,which im sure is the case with most of you guys.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Oh, sorry Orange. I was under that impression, because you seemed to be pretty up to date with things on one of your first post. My fault, shouldnt of been so assumming (sp?). Any way, I wish you luck with whatever vehicle you end up with, and dont forget while weighing your desicion about the brother hood of svt owners. It can come in handy believe it or not. But, being a previous Lighting owner I am sure that you know that. Well, good luck.
And, btw you arent going to be able to beat the orange color!! What do they call that color any way? Competition orange?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just traded my 03 Cobra for the SVTF and I like this car. Yes, it is slow if you don't rev it up, but once you get used to it, this little car flies. I find myself driving 80-90 without realizing it on the highway.

I think the hardest thing to get used to, is taking off in first gear, it really needs gas and some clutch slip if you want to get going right away, otherwise it does bog down.

This car feels really solid and handles great to me and so far it’s running fine. I hope it works out for you, but remember that any manufacturer can produce a bad car, it’s still a crap shoot.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I have to admit it also, I too went by the Dodge dealership this past weekend. The fact that Dodge is listening to people and offering a factory installed Quaife in the '04s, offering factory built and tested upgrade "stages" and has reinstating their racing contingency program has to tell you something.

Don't get me wrong, I love my SVTF and besides the little annoyances, its been well worth the "cheap as [censored]" price I paid. But as sacrilegious as it sounds, I don't think I could honestly talk someone out of buying a PZEV or '04 SRT-4 right now without trying to pull some "it looks better" or "its prestigious" BS.

I'm trying guys. I don't really want to be driving anything else and I've had nothing but fun with this car so far, but I've now got just over 5k miles left before my warranty's up and I'm really starting to worry. I've had it since May '02, and since then, Ford still hasn't fixed the cold start issues, won't replace my happy-stained/faded blue seats, still putting out questionable DSI manifolds, randomly failing starters, power steering lines and pumps, etc. Even with late model '03s, their fix for the rattling cat heat shield is throwing a hose clamp on it. Though I've been fortunate to avoid most of those problems, Ford/SVT just don't seem to be that concerned with permanently fixing them before our warranties are up.

I've always been nothing but pro-SVTF since I had my car on order way "back in the day", but lately its getting tougher not to face the music.
Maybe I'm just having warranty expiration butterflies...

I sure hope Ford is listening...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Better to fix it yourself anyway.

You might actually use quality parts.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Come on now, could any of you SERIOUSLY own a car that slides the sunroof open on the outside??

Geeze, talk about a dork-mobile!

~Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bullkrap....I came out of a 2000 Lighting and that is a bad answer.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Well, I just found myself looking for another excuse to drive, and after a short little trip to pick up some food, I'm in love again. There's just some intangible fun factor to this car that I just don't think I could find with any other car in the sub $30k market. I sure do love this thing.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Perhaps this will help.....

1. 33/GS ( Osiris ) > 49.603 <
(0.785) 02 FORD SVT FOCUS
TIMES: 1) 65.582 2) 65.079 3) 64.078 4) 63.982
5) 63.188

2. 7/GS ( name withheld ) > 49.632 <
(0.785) FORD CONTOUR SV
TIMES: 1) 65.286 2) 63.836 3) 64.418 4) 63.226
5) 63.612

3. 327/HS ( name withheld ) > 50.797 <
(0.779) DODGE
TIMES: 1) 65.750 2) 66.658 3) 68.617 + 2 4) 65.208
5) 80.908 + 3

4. 2/DS ( name withheld ) > 51.296 <
(0.798) 03 DODGE SRT-4
TIMES: 1) 66.280 2) 65.317 3) 64.468 4) 64.452
5) 64.281

If I could do this with my measly weak, slow and over rated SVTF it can't be THAT bad.....

You just need to appreciate the other attributes this car has. You're coming out of a high powered, straight line, tire melting beast into a high-revving, corner carving 4 banger.

Have Ford repair the warranty issues and enjoy your new car....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Honestly, just cruising around town driving, I know my SVT isnt the best car. I still love it tho. They arent everywhere. The interior is top notch. Its a lot of fun to drive.

I dont notice the 2k-3k stutter anymore...
I used to have it but no longer. The ORP changed the car so dramatically for the better as far as torque it just feels incredible

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,009 Posts
I think the hardest thing to get used to, is taking off in first gear, it really needs gas and some clutch slip if you want to get going right away, otherwise it does bog down.
I found this out as well. I just thought it was me being rusty for not driving a manual for 5 years! lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey NeedSpeed, why did you trade in an 03 Cobra for an SVTF and what's your review of the car? I'm considering selling my 02 GT and picking one up.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'd like to know as well. I will probably pick up a used 03' next yr about this time. They are so easy and cheap to mod and gain power with. My concern is the rods. I have heard that is the failing point.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts