Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i am new to this, my wife has a 2001 focus zx3 and it was sputtering and cutting out like it wasn't getting enough air. I checked the IAC valve and it is in great shape, nothing clogging it up or stuck to it. There is nothing that was clogging the intake pipe or air box. I replaced the factory setup with a aftermarket intake from AEM. Now it is as if the car is getting to much air. It is very sluggish on take off and you can floor it even in 1st gear and it is like you're flooring it in 5th gear but only going 15 mph. It does get up and go after about 10 seconds of delay and cutting out. I just need some assitance as far as where to go from here and what the next step is. Also there are no vacuum leaks I replaced the hoses as well.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Almost sounds like your cat converter might be clogged up. You don't have aftermarket header do you? If you do, that might be the case. That's popular with people that go aftermarket route. It happened to me with the FS street header.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no aftermarket header, the only thing aftermarket is the intake. The converter is a possibility though and I also believe that there is a exhaust leak on the passenger side because you can feel the exhaust coming out from that side, and there isn't a lot of air coming from the muffler. I went to AutoZone today because I got in to drive it this morning and the CEL was on. It was from the MAF sensor(said it was getting to much air and it was causing the car to run extremely rich) and also cylinders 1 and 4 are misfiring now. Which is great because I feel like I'm driving a riding lawn mower down the road. The plugs and plug wires were fine before this intake was put on, but I did replace the valve cover gasket yesterday and I know I put the plug wires back in correctly(because they're numbered lol). I'm not exactly sure where to go from here, I have to adjust the air flow somehow, and I have already put heat wrap on almost half of the intake filter to restrict the air flow and it is still getting to much air.

Thanks for the welcome lightning and any help anyone can give me, thank you in advance.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I've got similar symptoms at the moment on my '01 with 129,000 miles.
I'm going with the Timing Belt first.
If you feel exhaust actually coming out somewhere that it shouldn't, that is a problem too. Not just noisy, but it'll screw with the engine. Is there any smoke at Full Throttle or not? If yes, it may be the DPFE sensor.
:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no smoke at full throttle, not any smoke at all actually, there was some but it was just oil leaking from around the valve cover gasket. I am pretty sure that the passenger side motor mount is broken also, just from reviewing some threads on here. Haven't had a chance to check it but I am experiencing the same shaking and vibration through the whole car, and I know part of that is caused from cylinder's 1 and 4 misfiring, however all of the shaking and vibration is not caused from that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay do I need to check and see if it is about to break? What am I checking, sorry, I'm good with cars but don't exactly know what to look for on the timing belt, I know where it's at and how to get the cover off, just not what to look for to see if there is anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
look at the condition of the timing belt. Not the smooth part but the part with the 'teeth' which 'grabs' the actually pulley. IF they appear cracked or if your belt looks bunched up. It might be time to get your timing belt changed.

I don't see a mention of how many miles you have on the car now ... mine lasted slightly over 114K miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I will check that, the car has 117K miles and come to think of it it started acting this way about 3K miles ago and it quit so I will take a look at it and repost. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I will check into that. It's either air or fuel, cause the car is "choking" you can tell. How do I go about getting the dealership to replace the fuel pump? Just take it to them and tell them I have a recalled fuel pump on the car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just checked the VIN of the car on Ford's website and it said there is no recall information for the VIN.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Yea but on the ford website you type in your vin and it will search any recalls under your model year vehicle or what not. Typically if you take it in under those conditions they will cover the pump.

·
Orange cones scare me
2,865 Posts
Yea but on the ford website you type in your vin and it will search any recalls under your model year vehicle or what not. Typically if you take it in under those conditions they will cover the pump.
Oh lol didnt know that but lol i usually go to the federal recall website and look there.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Oh lol didnt know that but lol i usually go to the federal recall website and look there.
Not only that, but there are often many running changes across a model year. The VIN will help nail it down. Maybe only cars made from February thru July of 2002 might be affected by a certain part problem. (Hypothetically).
The VIN will dial things in MUCH better than a simple model and year.
:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I looked on the Ford website with the VIN, not the model, I'm not that retarded lol. It said there was were no recalls for my VIN, but I will check the federal site just to be safe. I am pretty sure it's a combination of the timing belt, motor mount, and the rest of the car lol. It may just be time to get a new one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts