Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm coming back from the hardware store this evening, and its just about 9 and so its dark out. I make a right hand turn and about 50 yargds in front of me are these headlights. Were not talking about normal headlights....were talking about the ones that are in YOUR lane, COMING AT YOU.

SO Im like holy **** this nut is gonna hit me. I lay the horn down like it was my buisness, all while flashing the highs and pulling the car about 2 1/2 feet onto the grass. (note: semi residential area...so no shoulder) Nothing is happening, the car is still coming down my lane, and so i leave the highs on and roll the window down.

Its a 85 year old elderly woman, chin resting on the wheel swirving the car back and forth. (just like from Ferris Buellers day off).By this time I had fully pulled my car on the grass, all while screaming some choice words. This woman actually tohught she was in her lane. I contineud to watch..and scream, as she took a left hand turn from my lane and continued down the street, in the wrong lane.
Why arnt drivers licenses etsted every like 2-3 years???? pass a test when your 16 and good for life???

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Holy crap. Thats sad.
I agree. There should be a test every three to four years. People cant drive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hear ya man!.Just got back from getting my mother in Detroit and had the same crap happen to me.Some ole laydie in a Caddilac Seville on I94 on the phone to boot,nearly off-ed about 5 cars in one single no mind act of I owne the road and I no not what I do with my rolling chesterfield syndrome.hopefully death for her will be soon and painfull.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dude, I hear ya. Where I live its mostly a retirement community or alot of snowbirds come down cause they have summer homes here but the roads in my town are ass backwards so its not uncommon to see some car flyin down the wrong way. In fact about a month ago that scenario happend to me twice in a 2 week period. They should have more frequent driver renewal test.

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
FocusinZX3,
I am glad that you are ok and avoided any sort of accident.I will agree that there should be some law that requires the elderly to renew their drivers license every 2 years but add to that also require them to take a road test.A license allows them to drive a motor vehicle but a road test will determine if they are fit to drive on public roads safely.

Note for everyone: Keep a pad and pen in your car and note down the license plate,make and model of the car and contact the local police to report a reckless driver on the road and hopefully they will investigate the matter.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
a recent study...

a group of 21-25 year olds were given road coarses to drive

a group of elderly people were given road coarses to drive

The elderly had worse reactions than the younger people until the younger people consumed an average of 5 drinks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Reminds me of what happened to me..
it was like a 3 line width freeway (hey, 3 line width = WWIDDEE here..)

and it was 3am. i was alone on this road with another cab next to me on my next lane and suddenly i see a pair headlights coming towards me.

it was VERY VERY scary, first i was freaked out, slamming the breaks. i thought I was the one on the wrong way.

And the thought of "OMG A GHOST CAR!!" flashes thru my mine. totally freaked out

then i see the other taxi (or cab as u call u) in my next lane slamms the break, and sound the horn.

so i thought "hmm it can't be ME AND the professional driver that went down the wrong FREEWAY line.." so i sound my horn too.

then u see this headlights doing a 180" Spin (just like the movies) across 3 lanes and pulled over to the side. (by the time me and the cab driver next to me had already stopped, watching with our mouths widly opened. totally speechless)

slowly i approach the stopped car and notice it was another... taxi... with a 50 year old driver that looks like he didn't sleep in 3 days...

Hell, and i thought professional drivers won't make THAT kinda mistakes....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was once at a stoplight behind an old lady in an intrepid. 4 way stoplight, busy intersection, cars streaming the other way in busy traffic. Well, we had both been stopped at this light for about 30 seconds, and I guess the old woman decide she had had enough of waiting, and began inching out across the intersection. I guess she thought that if she drove slow enough, people would just stop for her. Instead, cars crashed and swerved and flipped all around her.. meanwhile, never even touching her! She just continued on her way as if nothing had happened!

Elderly people should NOT be allowed to drive....

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Originally posted by demonfire:
The elderly had worse reactions than the younger people until the younger people consumed an average of 5 drinks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">woa, they let kids have 5 drinks and then made them drive?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Ever see old people drive through a parking lot? When I was a bagger at meijer; I would see so many idiots every day. Accidents from people not looking behind them. Accidents from people fighting for a parking space. My favorite: a regular that comes in at least twice a week is along the front of the store. She didn't see the stop sign that's in a cement cube directly in front of here; she keeps going and runs into the stop sign. Does she stop? NO
. She literaly pushed the sign 10 ft before I had to run up to her window and knock on it to get her to stop. She stops, backs up and then goes around the sign. She then parks in the handicap spot and goes into the store. I walk over to her car and notice that the bottom of her bumper has a hole in it from where the pole and the cement meet

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Originally posted by s2d2:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by demonfire:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">woa, they let kids have 5 drinks and then made them drive?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">closed road course and there were prolly saftey measures in place

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
yeah ghost drivers....
Last year I was driving on the fast lane of a 4 lane freeway (5 South San Diego by Chula Vista for those who know...).
Anyway I'm driving, it's about 10 PM driving my girlfriend home, and suddently I see those headlights coming at me, right in my lane. I can't believe it, my brain tells me it's a car on the opposite side of the freeway, but no, it's on my damn lane.
So I just merge on the lane next to me, and Wham! the car passes by, going real fast.
I was like Wow, that was cool, I always thought how I would act if something like that happened. And I was kind of dissapointed, cause it happened so fast.
I guess those punks must have made some sort of bet...

[ 04-14-2003, 03:45 AM: Message edited by: panchocito ]

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
yeah elderly people are a menace, we're lucky that they drive so slow...
how many times did an old lady turn in front of me at a green light... it's funny cause they don't even notice you screaming your ass off!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

I know it sounds wrong but everytime I hear about the elderly driving wierd I am reminded of a saying my old roommate says at the most unopertune times.
"old people smell when you burn them"
heh, I think he just said it one night when we had a bunch of friends over and were drinking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts