Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O1\' ZX3 Trade Value ***HELP!!!!****

I want to trade my Focus outright for a truck... Outright to forgo the hassle of selling it myself, also so I dont have to hassle with the Bank etc...

Whats the value to a used car dealer? I know they could purchase the car wholesale at auction for far less than I would pay at retail.

I researched on Edmunds etc... not all that informative. So I searched the AutoTrader on line w\in a 300 mile radius of where I live (SVT's excluded) and hit an average price (23 cars) of about $7,900

So what can I assume from that?

Is this a good strategy?

Car has 41,000 miles, very good condition, A\C, Power everything Etc... IMHO it would one of the cars the dealer sets out front to get attention.

As always thanks for your help all.

PS when I say outright I mean like Title for Title no $$$ exchanged (Unless its coming to me) I guess I would technicaly be selling to the dealer?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Re: O1\' ZX3 Trade Value ***HELP!!!!****

probably get 3-4.5g's for a trade, maybe 7k if you do it privately!

good luck with it!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

I researched on Edmunds etc... not all that informative. So I searched the AutoTrader on line w\in a 300 mile radius of where I live (SVT's excluded) and hit an average price (23 cars) of about $7,900
Private party/dealer used value > dealer trade in value.

You'd probably be lucky to clear $3500 in trade, depending on what you were trading on, etc. If you've got the cash/credit, you may want to hang onto the Focus and sell it private party. It can be a pain, but you'll ultimately get more out of it.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Get the ole lube out and bend over if you're trading in because it won't be pretty. I just got rid of my 2000 ZX3 and didn't even bother asking what they'd give me because I knew it'd be a joke (dealership even told me too heh). I sold it in less than 2 weeks on autotrader.com and got almost my asking price (asking 5500, got 5000).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks guys... I was afraid of that

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

I would be completely surprised if you got even close to 7900 as a trade in. I think you'd be LUCKY to get 4,000 for it! It's sad but true that the Focus depreciates way too fast.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

just sold a my old 2000 focus zx3 with 52,000 miles on it for 5,000. It had no options on it though, that could explain why it took a few months to sell. selling a car with no AC in the summer = no sale

·
Registered
470 Posts

just traded my 2000 in with 27000 miles in near perfect condition for $4000, and a clean power everything Focus hatch is hard to find right now in my area.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

I sold my 01 ZX3 5speed with 50k miles on it for $7000 a couple months ago

On a trade in you will either have the price of the truck jacked up or get nothing on teh trade in. Here's an example... bought a vette from a dealer. When I bought it they gave me the whole "you're buying it at wholesale price" BS...4 months later I trade it in at the same dealer at a $5k loss. Me - 0 Dealer - 2

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts

According to that I can expect a $7000 trade, $9,000 pp, and $11,000 retail price on my 2002 ZTS focus with 45,000 miles in great shape, with premium sound, and sunroof (not taking into account that it is a mach focus with HID headlights.

For a car that I paid $16,000 for that means it is still worth 56% of its original value or that it only lost 44% of its original value. Can someone please tell me how that is BAD?!

Honestly, that does not seem like bad resale value at all!

A GLS Jetta with similar options would PP for about $12,500 and sell new for like $21,000. That’s worth about 60% of its original value, or it lost about 40% of its value.
VW is considered one of THE best cars in the United States for resale value.

Now take a Taurus that would sell for $22,000 new that would sell PP for about $8,000 used. That’s 37% of its original value or a loss of 63% of its original value.

I don’t want to hear again that the focus has such “horrible” resale value. Allot of you that are complaining bought BASE models that many people bought brand new for $12,000 and are selling for $7,000 PP with 50,000 miles on it. That’s about 60% of the original value! That’s just as good as a VW!!!

Oh and for selling cars with no AC. This is an example where trying to “save” money when you bought the car, comes back to bight you in the ass when you go to sell. Some options actually wind up costing you nothing because you get that much more for the car when you sell it. AC may be one of those. If it adds say $500 to the cost of buying the car, but it raises the value of the car by $500 when you go to sell it, it actually cost you nothing to add in AC! (now not all options are like that, but some are)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts