Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OBX vs. bomz vs. AEM CAI\'s

Is there really a functional difference? I know that AEM comes with cool stickers and a license plate frame
, the price difference is a little too big to justify. Plus, they all look about the same to me.

Too much time on ebay recently...

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Re: OBX vs. bomz vs. AEM CAI\'s

eBay... man i was just there for a while...

i think the main difference is going to be quality of craftmanship and research... but for the price difference, i think that a dremel tool and some patience could remedy the situation.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts

Originally posted by demonfire:
i think the main difference is going to be quality of craftmanship and research... but for the price difference, i think that a dremel tool and some patience could remedy the situation.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But, but, you get a license plate frame!

Rich,

Honestly, I have seen the AEM and the OBX in person - Welds, almost identical - Fit, the same.

About the only only difference I could see, were the rubber connecting sleeves - On the OBX, they were glossier, and made them look cheaper - But what does that matter, right?

Oh and Rich - They sound the same too, since I know sounding cool is one of your top priorities!

- Drew

·
Registered
799 Posts

i just purchased a bomz cai off ebay for $80 shipped. it is the 2 piece design and silver powder-coat. i hope the fit, quality and craftsmanship is as good as the $350 aem. i'm still a bit skeptical since buying anything off ebay (i have in the past sturt bar, kamikaze header) i'll just have to wait and see for myself i guess. i wonder if anyone has ever bought one yet...

·
Registered
904 Posts

I will be getting the BOMZ Tuesday, looked like a deal. After a test fit will change out the rubber connecting sleeves for other color and have it powder coated a different color too. I'll post when I get it on.

---Herb---

·
Registered
20 Posts

I recently won an auction on Ebay for a BOMZ CAI. I paid only $90.00 after shipping. Much better than $250.00 for a AEM.
I installed it two days ago. I want to give you a couple tips. The BOMZ kit does not come with the special tip you'll need to remove your MAS screws. Also, you'll need to buy atleast 3 1/4"-20 nuts for the shock mounts. The nuts and tip cost me only $6.00.
It took about an hour to install It sound and performs fantastic. According to my "Butt Dyno" I'd guess 7 to 10 HP.

·
Registered
446 Posts

I think what matters is not the pipe, it is on the quality of the air filter cone. I bought a cheap air intake last summer, and then replaced the filter cone with the K&N's.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I installed the bomz intake, for the price yuou can't beat it. Although the brackets didn't line up to hold it steady. The finish is pretty nice also.

·
Registered
168 Posts

For those that have seen the Bomz and the AEM, is the intake pipe diameter the same? That is my only concern. If they are the same then there is no sense in paying all that extra money to get the AEM. Also who did everyone buy from that purchased the BOMZ on ebay? Thanks

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

If we do the ebay thing, there is no point in bidding against each other. I am sure that there is an infinite supply of these things, along with an infinite supply of suppliers trying to sell them. If you have your eye on a certain item, post a link here and the rest of us will lay off it.

I'm thinking of this one myself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873217447

·
I'm Not Better Than You Since I Drive a Porsche, I
3,343 Posts

The Bomz is the same Diameter, and it is tricky fitting it on the throtle assembly. Try em out, I think they will give AEM and Iceman a run for their money. My only gripe is quality, but what more can you expect from a $70 intake. It is just an intake, could performance really vary much? It is not like they are making $70 turbos, superchargers, cams, cam gears, or headers!
Then I might be a little more skeptical!

·
Registered
168 Posts

EggYolk: What do you mean by quality? What is is that you dont like about it? I am thinking of getting one around christmas time unless i am informed to do otherwise. Also What is everyones opinion on the bypass valve? I am debating whether to get it. I have read EVERY post here on FJ and almost everyone thinks it is worthless. Do you agree??

·
Registered
793 Posts

I have been tuning vehicles for years (near 20 to be exact), and I, too, recently bought the BOMZ CAI, just to check it out. It is the same diameter, same grade aluminum (6061 I believe), and the welds are actually quite good. The filter sucks, but I am just going to throw on my ITG cone on it. The mounts lined up perfect for me, so consistency might be a potential problem for BOMZ (as others have stated it did not line up well). I have a AEM short intake, and the quality is identical as far as I can tell.

The real issue here is probably name. Everyone likes the brand names (and for generally good reason). Many tuners are loyal to their preferred brands (as am I), but this product may be an exception to the rule (as long as you toss the filter out and replace it).

Hey, for $85 shipped, it is one actual deal on eBay.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
93 Posts

O.K. First off the AEM is the proven performance. Sport Compact didnt use some silly bombz or whatever. It may be a good price but lets see which one will be better in the long run. I had an obx and it hurt me at the Dyno. The AEM added almost 12 ponies back so do whatever u like, but remeber u get what u pay for.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

an intake isnt going to give you 12hp on a stock motor, and AEM will tell you anything to sell their product. proven shmoven, you can prove many things, doesnt mean that they can really happen. a name isnt going to make you go any faster, IF the specs are the same in the intake, go for the cheaper one. its a no brainer, dont listen to all those people trying to justify the big money they didnt need to spend.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

could it be that "sport compact" was paid by AEM to review their product and use it??? think about it.

·
Registered
166 Posts

I bought an intake off of EBay, its some no name brand, but it has a K&N filter ,which is what matters....i can feel a little gain with it, it definalty work and was worth the 80 $ i payed for it...the only thing is, the other night it came off when i was driving, causing the car to stall out. The only thing was that the bracket holding it onto the throttle body broke, so I just got a new one at Discount Auto Parts
--I got scared sh*tless when the car stalled though lol

·
Registered
20 Posts

Bomz CAI are definitely worth it $90.00 (Ebay). I've got one installed on my ZTS. The piping is the same quality, material, and diameter as an AEM. The only noticable difference is the lack of a silly sticker on the upper tube and it comes with cheap cone filter. The 3" cone filter can be easily replaced. Why pay $240-$260 for a sticker and license plate protector when you can get the same thing for less than $100
My opinion on the bypass valve is not worth it. unless you drive in water deeper than foot. I chose NOT to install one.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Does anybody know the code number for the cone type K&N filter that replaces the cheap one in the OBX ? Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts

Why does everybody say that....you get what you pay for...psssshhh BS if you ask me, while the R&D on some things is important how much is curved aluminum tubing really worth...definately not 250 or whatever...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts