Ford Focus Forum banner

Octane.

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  KonaZXIII 
#1 ·
What are the octane ratings avaible to you? I didn't realize that it was different in some states. Here in Ma, I can get 87, 91, 93, and sometimes 95.

Also, do you guys have MTBE in your gasoline?

#6 ·
Originally posted by JoeMonkey:
What are the octane ratings avaible to you? I didn't realize that it was different in some states. Here in Ma, I can get 87, 91, 93, and sometimes 95.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Where in Ma can you get 95?

I know on the eastern part of the state i highest ive seen was Ultra 94 from Sunoco. Most places have 87,89,91,93

#9 ·
Originally posted by djsilver:
MTBE is more prevalent in states with pollution problems but it's being phased out for several different reasons. If the pumps are labeled as having "oxygenated" fuel, it probably contains MTBE. Here's couple of differing opinions on it;

http://www.cleanfuelsworld.net/knowledge/MTBE/MTBE_whatis.cfm

http://www.banmtbe.com/What%20is%20MTBE.htm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah it screws up groundwater really bad...the other thing thats screwed up about it is that you worse gas mileage with it too. I've noticed an increase when they stop using it in Spring...

#10 ·
Originally posted by pitchblackzx3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by JoeMonkey:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Where in Ma can you get 95?

I know on the eastern part of the state i highest ive seen was Ultra 94 from Sunoco. Most places have 87,89,91,93
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It might be 94, I know it's a Sunoco. I'll double check tonight.

#11 ·
85, 87/88, 91.

Some stations have the mid-grade at 87, some have 88. I dunno.

#13 ·
A little info in case anyone's interested....

Most octane ratings you will find are limited by state laws (not Federal).

That's why alot of refineries try very hard to be able to break into out of state markets. We can make serious scratch if we can blend clean enough to break into California's market where Margins (profit margins) are practically state mandated!!!

MTBE I think has to be completely phased out by 2006 (might be 2004, don't remember). Alot of places are switching (have already switched) to ethanol for oxygenation blending to reduce RVP (Ried Vapor Pressure) during hotter months.

All oxygenate blends reduce overall effective power compared to straight gasoline.

Octane (the chemical C8H18) is 100 octane, but 100 octane gas is not necessarily 100% octane as it is generally blended with common lower octane components along with some uncommon higher octane components (Isobutane, C9+s, etc...)

Refinery Gasoline profit margins are generally referred to as "Crack Spreads" <-- seriously, no joke...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.