Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone so this all started back when my fuel pump had died on me I had it replaced everything was fine prior to this.

After I had taken it to a shop they had replaced the fuel pump assembly and fuel filter, since then the car has been choking on start up and has even died on me about 6 times now when trying to start it up.

I brought the car back to the shop they replaced a bad spark plug once I got home I replaced all of the spark plugs. I took the car for a drive and I noticed in 2 and 3 and I can’t remember if 4th gear also had the issue I believe it did where it would only be able to reach 4500 rpm also when going onto a on-ramp in 3 gear it started to choke like it wanted to die.. any ideas folks?

·
I
13,467 Posts
Do you know what plugs they put in? It's common shops look up the plug for the Zetec which is wrong for the SVT and will cause a bunch of issues.
Motorcraft SP-524 or SP-463, both gapped to 0.051" are the "correct" plugs. If you want set and forget, go with the SP-524s. I would replace plugs if you aren't sure what the shop used.

What fuel pump did they use? Did they also replace the filter? Any codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know what plugs they put in? It's common shops look up the plug for the Zetec which is wrong for the SVT and will cause a bunch of issues.
Motorcraft SP-524 or SP-463, both gapped to 0.051" are the "correct" plugs. If you want set and forget, go with the SP-524s. I would replace plugs if you aren't sure what the shop used.

What fuel pump did they use? Did they also replace the filter? Any codes?
It’s actually not the SVT version, I believe just base model Manual transmission 2000 Ford Focus zx3 hatchback. I installed bosch double iridium spark plugs but would that make it have acceleration issues? I am not aware of the brand fuel pump they installed, they did replace the fuel filter.

Edit: also no codes when the mechanic diagnosed it.

·
I
13,467 Posts
It’s actually not the SVT version, I believe just base model Manual transmission 2000 Ford Focus zx3 hatchback. I installed bosch double iridium spark plugs but would that make it have acceleration issues? I am not aware of the brand fuel pump they installed, they did replace the fuel filter.

Edit: also no codes when the mechanic diagnosed it.
So sorry, I read quickly and my mind was in SVT mode for some reason. You're right, disregard what I said about the plugs. The regular Zetec is not that picky.

It does still sounds like a fuel pump issue to me, unfortunately. It may be the plugs, if you can provide the part # and gap you used, we can at least rule them out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So sorry, I read quickly and my mind was in SVT mode for some reason. You're right, disregard what I said about the plugs. The regular Zetec is not that picky.

It does still sounds like a fuel pump issue to me, unfortunately. It may be the plugs, if you can provide the part # and gap you used, we can at least rule them out.
Update ~ well yesterday the car had died on me 5 times and wouldn’t start the last time and then I finally got it to start up and now there is a check engine light Code P0172 for a MAFS (mass air flow sensor) just took out the old one and waiting to get the new one to see if that solves my issues..

Edit: Update it did NOT fix my issue now I’m waiting on to replace the PCV hose and PCV valve is my next step… After that I will buy me a fuel gauge and test fuel pressure.

·
I
13,467 Posts
Update ~ well yesterday the car had died on me 5 times and wouldn’t start the last time and then I finally got it to start up and now there is a check engine light Code P0172 for a MAFS (mass air flow sensor) just took out the old one and waiting to get the new one to see if that solves my issues..
Also check the fuel pressure sensor on the rail. Pull the vacuum line too it and check for fuel (smell/look). If there's any, it's bad and needs to be replaced. Fuel pressure too high will cause a rich condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts