Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know the topic of what type of oil has come up and i know what most of you are using/recommend though i would like some input on what weight oil your running (10w30 etc.). Next question what type of oil filter are you using? Anyone have any issues with anything? Anyone found better results with something? Finally how big of a pain is it to change the oil in our cars? No lift, no floor jack, not alot of tools really. Think i could do it with say some of those driveup platforms or would that make it at to much of an angle? Had issues with just getting oil changed at service centers before so i'd rather do all of that on this car myself if possible.
thanks all

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im using the mobil 1 oil and filter. I changed the oil myself with ramps in my driveway made a mess it wasn't that hard though. be careful when you first release the drain plug because it's not on the bottom of the oil pan its on the side a bit so the oil shoots out about two feet from the bottom of the pan. (hot oil hurts alot)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess the other thing i forgot to mention since depending on where you live you might use different oil weight is i live in florida so it doesn't get real cold here.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Go by what your manual says that's the safest route...remember there is a 'Supplemental Manual' for the SVT Focus so DON'T go by what is stated in the 'regular ZX3’ manual (as far as the oil weight) Now I’m sure some people will tell you differently but change every 3K miles for dinosaur-oil but if you choose to use either Mobil 1 (which is full synthetic) or Royal Purple (also full synthetic) you can extend that oil life by 2K. That’s the whole point of full synthetic oil is to extend the life of the oil and of course there are less if any impurities in the synthetic oils.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You really only need a few things to change your oil:

Ramps (or jack and jack stands)
Oil Drain Pan
Oil Filter Wrench
Ratchet w/15mm socket (I think it's 15mm)

It's actually pretty easy on this car - even though the filter is at a weird angle. As for oil and filter - I use the Mobil 1 5W-30 SuperSyn synthetic and the Motorcraft FL-400S Filter. A guy I work with used to work at AC Delco and said that the aftermarket filters go thru a ton of validation testing - so I stick with ones from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just changed my oil last week using 10w-30 mobil 1 synthetic and a Motorcraft FL 2005 oil filter from Autozone ($4.99). The drain plug is 13mm. This is the 3rd time I've changed my own oil and I've done it 2 different ways: 1) remove the filter first and then remove the drain plug, and 2) remove the drain plug first and then remove the filter. Removing the filter first is definitely the preferred method. Less messy. I use metal ramps along with homemade wooden "pre-ramps" to lessen the abrupt slope. And yes, when you remove the drainplug, the oil shoots out about 2 feet so be prepared!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yea with oil changes I did the last one myself. I used full synthetic 5-20. I didn't have ramps but most ramps seem to have to great of an angle for how low the car sits. But anyways i just use a jack, the only bad thing is because of how low the car sits i cant get a jack under it. So what i do is drive the car up on wooden blocks giving me enough clearance space to put the jack under the car then it goes off without a hitch. kinda ghetto i know but it works, the only thing is i gotta remember to put the wheels back down on the blocks to get the jack from under the car LOL

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Well, I do my own as well, use 5w-50 Castrol Syntec, (good for all climates and it's HOT here) a K&N oil filer and no matter what anyone says, it's still basically a pain in the back side to do yourself, but at least I know who did it and how it was done. As for the 2 foot geyser,
don't fully remove the plug, loosen to last thread, and tilt up so you can control the flow until the pressure reduces. Just don't change it HOT.
Another suggestion, cover EVERYTHING in the area of the filter, the driveshaft, the suspension crossmember etc or you'll be wiping oil off it, and I don't know about you but it's easier to cover that stuff with rags before than wipe all that oil off it later. Always a pain to do but always
when it's done.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ford Filter and Mobil 1 5w-30 for me...mines no mess at all. I just put the oil pan a foot away, unscrew oil plug. Move the pan with the flow of oil. Undo filter. Leave for about 30 min. Come back and put new filter on, screw plug in. Wipe the extra oil off the body of car. Put in my 4.5 quarts. Tilt the pan and put the extra oil back in the mobil 1 container. I think it becomes a real pita during winter. haha Oh yeah, make sure it's not windy outside b/c then when the oil comes out, that's a real mess.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That Fram oil plug works pretty well... no tools, just screw the plug into the oilpan. No mess. A little slow, but no oil to wipe up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
JayP i have that Fram sure drain thing. Yes it is a bit slow but it is so much easier and no shooting geyser!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Well, I do my own as well, use 5w-50 Castrol Syntec, (good for all climates and it's HOT here) a K&N oil filer and no matter what anyone says, it's still basically a pain in the back side to do yourself, but at least I know who did it and how it was done. As for the 2 foot geyser,
don't fully remove the plug, loosen to last thread, and tilt up so you can control the flow until the pressure reduces. Just don't change it HOT.
Another suggestion, cover EVERYTHING in the area of the filter, the driveshaft, the suspension crossmember etc or you'll be wiping oil off it, and I don't know about you but it's easier to cover that stuff with rags before than wipe all that oil off it later. Always a pain to do but always
when it's done.
I would just use the weight of oil they suggest in the manual - 5W30. Also, if you don't change the oil when it's hot, then all of the crap that settles out of the oil to the bottom of the pan when you shut down just stays in the oil pan. I want that crap outta there, so I change it within 10 minutes of shutdown, while it's in suspension.

You have to watch it with the hot parts and oil, but it's worth it. Just put a rubber glove on the hand that loosens and removes the drain plug and you're all set. If you want to wait for it to cool a bit before removing the filter, that's fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey for the guys using the fram easy drain plug thing what is the size for our drain plug or thread size. Finally saw these at autozone and they do look like they'll make it much easier but i dind't realize they were all different sizes. So if you know or can remember please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I use REDLINE 5w-30 changed out every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've got the Fram Suredrain on my SVT also. Keeps my driveway nice and clean. The filter books near the filters at Autozone will tell you what size to buy. Don't know off the top of my head.

Bryan

·
Registered
115 Posts
when i bought mine i got the lifetime oil change from the dealer, every 3k i take it in and they change it no charge. nice thing they through it in to as part of the deal. they use premium 5w-30 and a motorcraft filter. just what the svt supplment says.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts