Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you guys change the oil? 3000 or the recommended 5000 miles?
-bix

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
I changed at 3000 up until recently. Now I'm at 5000.

·
DoubleStuf™
3,716 Posts
Since I'm running AMS full syntetic, I go about 15k.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
I wish I could find Amsoil locally. I use Royal Purple and still change every 5000. I'm probably just throwing my cash out the window, but hey.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
i just put amsoil 25k mile oil in my car, i think im going to change it before that though. if you go over 5000 you will want to change the filter bout half way though. highly recommended

·
Registered
956 Posts
So the recommended for our cars is 5k right? I thought it was but the techs at my Ford dealer always put the sticker on the window at 3k...

·
Registered
334 Posts
i just put amsoil 25k mile oil in my car, i think im going to change it before that though. if you go over 5000 you will want to change the filter bout half way though. highly recommended
how do you change the filter without changing the oil....

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
unscrew the filterm put a new one on and add maybe add a 1/2 quart of oil so your not low. that easy.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, the ford tech's put 3k when the manual says 5k. I'll just stick with 5k since they want synthetic. I have switched to Royal Purple in all the cars, the mustang is expensive since I have a 7.5qt pan.... OH well, take it easy
-bix

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
all the techies at the Ford dealership say thats what you will get the best out of the motor with.
Yeah, but they also say you should change your oil every 3,000. They'll say a lot of things if they think it'll convince you to spend more cash there.

·
Registered
508 Posts
change it when it needs it. Look at the dipstick and see if the color and texture is getting darker and thicker. i change mine usually at 2000 miles. oh well its an economy car that cost me nothing so i beat the crap out of it.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
I would never run an oil for 25,000 miles. That is f'n nuts.

Certainly goes against everything we've grown up with.

Even if one does change the filter every 5K, how can an additive package possibly last that long?

High quality synthetic base oils are superb, but still...

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Same here. I might get brave enough to run my Redline for 10,000, but even then I'd probably be having samples analyzed just to make sure.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I went 4000 on the semi syn oil between changes. I've had amsoil in there for 6000 now, not sure when I will change it but maybe around 10.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
im not going to run it for 25k but im going to get something outa it.

·
Banned
429 Posts
change it when it needs it. Look at the dipstick and see if the color and texture is getting darker and thicker. i change mine usually at 2000 miles. oh well its an economy car that cost me nothing so i beat the crap out of it.
With half synthetic, you really should change it ever 3,000. It breaks down faster then the full synthetic. Its a good idea anyways, I cant get used to this change of 5,000 miles and to me 25,000 is just crazy.

-Ryan

·
Registered
257 Posts
oneamradio....your motor was not designed for 5w20. It is what ford recommends for better fuel mileage. It lowers their total fuel economy for a company to put in the thinner oil. To increase their economy across their range no to keep your motor alive. You can use 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, or 5w40. I'm in the break in stages of mine but after 5000 miles i will use mobil1 5w30 for winter and 10w30 in summer. I'm sure you know but 5/10 are cold start temps and 30 is when the motor is at temp. Alot of people talk to much about oil and it's silly. I will change my oil between 3 and 5 thousand depending on the season. What's 30 bucks every 5000 miles. It's your baby for christ sakes. 25,000 with amsoil com'on! Remember that high mileage amsoil is so loaded with additives to last that long you are losing your energy conserving qualities. The amsoil becomes very acidic after that long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts