Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this neet thing in eropean car mags. it slides over an oil filter and I guess you carefully tightin it down over the filter so as not to crush it and it acts as a heat disipator on the filter??!! its like $45 anyone have one of these or know anything about this I think its cool it it werks.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, anyone interested in this or do you all think its a gimick? I'll try to find out who makes it, but it is in a european car mag so I don't think its on the same page as curb fealers

·
Registered
950 Posts
some vehicles actually come with oil coolers. its a seperate small radiator unit that goes under the main radiator. I've no idea about the item you saw in the magazine, but thing about the position of our oil filter, its not going to see much air flow back there. I can't see where it would make a large difference in the oil temp.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Just figured I'd bump this since I have also been thinking this would be cheap and easy, and certainly can't hurt. Especially for track days once summer rolls around.

Well, I ordered one in a good 'ol JC Whitney catalog. Dirt cheap too. $19.99.
http://jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=5217&BQ=jcw2

Here's a site that basically has the same thing, but relates it to a motorcycle use which would probably get a bit more of a benefit ssince there would probably more air flow. But still...
http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/rev_buckcooler.shtml
Using an accurate dipstick thermometer a 70f degrees ambient air temperature and a speed of 55MPH he showed a 21f degree difference in oil temperature!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I was thinking about one of these myself until I changed the oil on my car recently. There appears not to be sufficent air flow arounf the filter for it to work, imo. I would be very happy for you to prove me wrong!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I honestly don't see where this would make any difference. The additional surface area would only be useful if the oil was flowing immediately in the area around the fins (it's behind the metal case of the filter, so it won't). There isn't the airflow going through there that would make fins useful. If anything, it'd insulate the oil, keeping it HOTTER.

If you're serious about keeping your oil from breaking down from the heat, get a better oil. Or get a real oil cooler. Minneapolis doesn't get THAT hot though - I don't see the point.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Originally posted by Zoomer69:
I honestly don't see where this would make any difference. The additional surface area would only be useful if the oil was flowing immediately in the area around the fins (it's behind the metal case of the filter, so it won't).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I disagree. As everyone knows that have tried to change their oil immediately after running the car pretty hard, the oil filter gets hot as ****! And considering aluminum is an excellent heat conductor, its going to easily absorb a good deal of that heat.

There isn't the airflow going through there that would make fins useful. If anything, it'd insulate the oil, keeping it HOTTER.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Now the air flow issue may be true, I just don't know. But even with just the normal air turbulence blowing around inside the engine compartment, there should be plenty of airflow to get rid of enough heat to keep any "heat capacitor" type of effect from taking place.

[ 01-11-2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: SlickShoes ]

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Here's an example of what's offered by FK

[ 01-11-2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: ZX3 Canuck ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts