Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SVTF has been running like crap for about the last week and had gotten progressively worse all week long. I decided to pull the plugs and put some factory plugs back in to see if my Denso's might have been the culprit. One by one I pulled them and one by one they came out with oil all over the threads. This is kind of freaking me out because I only have 46 k miles on the car and have never seen oil on a plug like that. I have had no CEL and my gas mileage has still been around 35mpg on the highway even with it running like crap. Could the oil on the plugs be improperly burned fuel due to the smaller gap than stock & 2 stage colder plugs??? Or is this definitly a major problem, Rings, Pistons ETC. FYI: My plugs are two steps colder than stock, Denso Iridium Tip and the gap is set at .035

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Oil on Plugs ???

sounds like burnt rings to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

After pulling the Denso's, I put the stockers back in and It runs fine. There is still a bit of oil on the threads of the plugs. None on the tip or the plugs just the amber red color. The Denso's were evidently shot. I will probably have a compression test done this week just to be safe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Did a compression test today and the numbers were;
1. 124
2. 125
3. 129
4. 130
After closer inspection, the valve cover gasket is leaking oil down into the plug seats. The Denso's I pulled were already shot though and I have the stockers in and all is good. Next week I'll tackle the valve cover gasket along with a lower motor mount.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts

2 ranges colder? Well, I think that would explain your problem with the Denso plugs...why are you going 2 ranges colder??
They are obviously not getting efficiently hot enough to burn off any deposits/residue...
And with that, they aren't sparking cleanly...

·
Registered
674 Posts

2 ranges colder? Well, I think that would explain your problem with the Denso plugs...why are you going 2 ranges colder??
Check his sig

·
Registered
257 Posts

If your valve cover gasket is leaking, that is a warranty repair, and they should fix that, and none of your mods will cause the gasket to leak so they cant complain about that. Why tackle it yourself when you can have it repaired free, also at 46k miles, you shouldn't have to change plugs, and no plugs are shot at 46k miles(assuming you have run them that long, plugs that are properly heat ranged and all will run you the extent of your warranty, assuming you dont overfill your oil. Denso's are $$, so Id be sending them back if they dont last more than 46k miles.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

Yeah, that's normal in the Ford world. With that leaking valve cover gasket you can get little pools of oil at the base of the plugs. As you remove the plugs, the oil drips all over them and you freak out.

Also, the oil down there can interfere with the spark delivery if it gets under the boots. This could of been your performance issue (or just them being "old" plugs as you mentioned... Denso's won't last more than 25k or so), as your compression test results look good.

My SVTF doesn't leak *nearly* as bad as my old MX3's valve cover gasket though. That thing leaked so bad the oil almost filled the plug wells up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I really haven't had my car in for anthing except a bad 6 dick audiophile. I know normally the valve cover gasket should be covered under the 100K powertrain warranty but with the nitrous setup I have been trying to take care of any "minor" repairs that arose myself. I have never been to Ford for any warranty repairs after the N2O install and I didn't want them to void the powertrain warranty just for having the N2O setup on board. I really need the YRFO tune as well until I can get an X-Cal. Really don't know how Mod friendly the Ford dealers are here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts