Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today going to work I heard a sound that resembled a blown tire hitting the wheel well. Once problem was the car drove fine, but when I depressed the gas pedal I heard the noise again, this time while I was at a red light. I looked under the pass. wheel well and I saw what looked like wire that wrapped around the axle, so I thought that it must have been something I ran over. So as I proceeded to drive to work the noise had stopped. Here is where the problem begins.... after work I clocked out and pulled my car into the bay to see if I can remove the "Wire" that was wrapped around the axle. Once I got it out, it looked like a steel belt from a tire, but I never ran over a piece of tire. So for some reason I open the hood just to inspect the engine bay...and low and behold, part of the serpentine belt ripped off!! I took a big risk driving home but I drove like 30 mph all the way home. Tomorrow I goto the dealership to have my stock piece put back on and my UDP will be for sale!!!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Why are you dumping the pulley??

its possible that the Gatorback belt that came with the pulley just crapped out on you..

how long have you had it on the engine??

I wouldnt just throw all the blame on the pulley..could be the belt was just loose and worn out or something..

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was on for almost 2 years. I was gonna remove it anyway cuz I didnt like how low the voltage gets at idle with everything on anyway. This just made the job happen sooner.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ha, now I know why our conversation was interrupted this morning

Good luck with that. Let me know if you need a hand with anything

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
First, It's possible that the pulley is loose, or that something on ANOTHER pulley is misaligned.
Second, WHY are you having the dealer do it?????
It's SO Easy it's ABSURD to pay someone to do it....

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by SE SPORTNY:
Tomorrow I goto the dealership to have my stock piece put back on and my UDP will be for sale!!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Heck i could do it for free.

Me = king of belt routing!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Marcelo,

You aren't going back to McCarville are you? If so, kick those techs in the butt to get working on my car!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Originally posted by SE SPORTNY:
It was on for almost 2 years. I was gonna remove it anyway cuz I didnt like how low the voltage gets at idle with everything on anyway. This just made the job happen sooner.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is weird. At idle my voltage sits at 14.5.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had an Esslinger UDP on my ZX2 and it started "eating" belts like candy. Or so I thought. I kept blaming it, and finally took it off, but it had been the A/C compressor causing the problem. The compressor was locking up somehow and was causing the belt to just slide around it instead of rolling. Then the pulley on the power steering pump, which has a kinda sharp raised lip to it was tearing off one little v-rib section at a time. I ended up putting about 4 or 5 belts on that car in the span of a couple of months. Outside, in about Jan or Feb. Anyhow, it's really easy to do, the focus even seems to have a little more clearance to work. I put that pulley on my ZX3 in about 20 minutes. Don't get ripped off at the dealership, they'll probably quote you something like 2 hours of labor to do it.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well G-money just like we disscussed at my job. The responses that dont pertain to what I'm saying. One at idle with your heater,headlights and radio system on..voltage drops to just about 12.5...... during the day it's fine, As for doing it myself, I don't have a garage....and it's ****ing cold to do it outside right now, besides the fact I can't wait to do this someother time, since the belt is missing 2 rows of the belt. My dealer and I are cool enough that I won't be paying out the ass like some of you who hate your dealership. Dane I saw your car there..I know the problem that you have, I'll speak to them tomorrow. Like I said before it was coming off anyway...this just made it more the reason to come off now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts