Ford Focus Forum banner

OK guys need some input ASAP

407 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Tobyboom 
#1 ·
Ok I was on my way back from Tom's and the car ran like a champ, ZERO problems.

Stopped to pay a toll and it started to bog down, wouldn't take gas and the EGT's went high FAST (1600*) So I pull over and its running real rough, missing and still not wanting to take gas. I shut it off and start it back up and everything is fine, so I pull out into traffic and step on it a little it revs just fine. A little farther down the road it does it again, so I pull off and restart it and it does fine so back out onto the road.

It does it again and again and again, It gets to the point that I just turn the key off then back on while driving down the road so I dont have to stop. I get about 100 miles from home and I see a Wal-mart open so I pull into the lot, buy some tools (left mine at home, didn't think I would need them) Give the car a quick once over making sure things like the coil and plug wires were connected correctly.

Start the car up runs good, so I head for home... HERE IS WHERE THINGS GET WEIRD......

Now the car runs without dieing BUT it wont idle and it will only make 4-5psi (was making 13psi) before it starts misfiring!!! It also backfires through the exhaust every now and then between shifts, mostly down shifts.

At first I thought bad gas, but I've filled up since then with Sunoco 94. I've went over everything I can think of with no change. Changed plugs, re-gapped plugs, changed coils, Changed O2 sensor, last time I did the plugs I noticed they were alittle black.

If ANYONE has any idea let me know

See less See more
#3 ·
With so much work done it could be soooo many things.... Something not connected tightly, something that got burned through (and if electrical may be shorting), something that wasn't fully tightened, etc.

Do you know what your AFR looks like in both closed and open loop? Is it possible one of your 50# injectors got smoked at your output level? Or has some debris in it?

Can you check your fuel rail pressure?

Anychance you melted a hole in a BOV vacum line?

#4 ·
Your not going to believe this...

I have had a crack form in my custom sheetmetal intake

This is the very intake that Tom used on his race car and it cracked in a bend instead of a weld. The size of the crack tells me it wasn't like that when I picked it up, must be one of those odd things that happens

Seriously the manifold is definitly a quality piece, it was on the race car for a couple of years at high boost levels, and had about 500 miles on my car before it cracked. I'm sure Tom will stand behind it, he even called me today and for 2 hours troubled shooted over the phone with me

#6 ·
Why? You need a date??

#9 ·
Your not going to believe this...

I have had a crack form in my custom sheetmetal intake

This is the very intake that Tom used on his race car and it cracked in a bend instead of a weld. The size of the crack tells me it wasn't like that when I picked it up, must be one of those odd things that happens

Seriously the manifold is definitly a quality piece, it was on the race car for a couple of years at high boost levels, and had about 500 miles on my car before it cracked. I'm sure Tom will stand behind it, he even called me today and for 2 hours troubled shooted over the phone with me
woo woo he found the prob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.