Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I\'m "Chipped"!!!

See my "...93 Octane" thread in the Auto-X Forum for the "Juicy" Details.
http://www.focaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=001368

What's cool to me, is that while I may not "Dyno" w/ a single WHP more, (I dunno, I've never had the cash to dyno...
), The HP and Torque curves are altered NICELY!!!!
WOOOHOOO!!!!
Where the old red-line was 6750, with it falling a little flat after 5800, NOW it redlines at about 7000, and PULLS nice and hard from 4500 to around 6700.

The entire powerband is stronger, but what's killer is that pull that doesn't go lame.
There's a mid-range where the "RPM-Climb" slows, (No more than it used to), but then it kicks back in and SCREAMS on up to the redline.

I'm not sure this is the final program I'll be keeping, as I have 2 or 3 others to try across the next month or so, but I'm quite impressed so far. I don't care if it doesn't dyno w/ a SINGLE whp more than before, the power-curves are MUCH more effective than before the installation.

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: michaelxi ]</p>

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: OK, I\'m "Chipped"!!!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BANDIT:
Mike see if your autox times improve, if so you got more power.
<hr></blockquote>
Will Do.

It'll be Kind of a "Seat-of-the-pants" thing though, since the course is always different from race-to-race.

I get my best comparison by comparing to the top 2 guys in class. One's the regional champ, the other has beaten the champ a couple times, and I've beaten that guy ONCE. We're "Fairly" close, but the champ's been running for 15 years, and the other guy's been racing for 4 or 5 years.
I'm doing pretty well for my first full season.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

so what your saying is you can feel a diffrence in a 5 speed?

I have been hesitant to add this mod to a manual trasmission as it was my impression that it made the most diffrence in auto tranny cars.

For 200 bucks I will be interested in your final decision in regard to which program works.

Keep us posted as it may be my next mod

Winters comming so I'm in no real hurry

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On an Auto, it helps alter the shift points.
Obviously that's not the case w/ the manual.
the thing is, the torque and Hp curves are altered such that it's kickin' ass higher through the RPM range. I can now SHIFT at 6700, and really keep 'er wound up through the gears, w/o that top 1000RPM being a waste.

I'll keep you posted, Bill.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well, If it's any indication, I beat the Regional Champ in STS class Auto-X for the first time today. He drives an Ass-Kickin' Neon ACR, and has always been out front. I've been gaining on him, but never could catch him.
Today, things changed.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

That's cool! I have a Diablo chip and love it. First night I put it in it was great. Love to hear you spanked an ACR...with the chip.

·
Registered
354 Posts

That's awesome Michael.
I'm going to have to see you race sometime...

I've had chip on my mind for a while now, I just haven't decided when would be the best time to do it, cause if I put something on my car and it needed to be reprogrammed, that might add up...

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fishjam40:
That's awesome Michael.
I'm going to have to see you race sometime...

I've had chip on my mind for a while now, I just haven't decided when would be the best time to do it, cause if I put something on my car and it needed to be reprogrammed, that might add up...
<hr></blockquote>
Sorry this is Off the topic, but you CAN come see me race at the G2G on Sept 15th here in Knoxville, TN.
There're links in Team Carolinas and Team MA, as well as Team SR.

·
Registered
400 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MichaelXi:
On an Auto, it helps alter the shift points.
Obviously that's not the case w/ the manual.
<hr></blockquote>

Sure it helps to alter the shift points on a manual tranny. Instead of shifting around 5500, you end up shifting at 7k.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperMatt:

Sure it helps to alter the shift points on a manual tranny. Instead of shifting around 5500, you end up shifting at 7k.

<hr></blockquote>

GOOD ONE!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts