Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a fc race header, and a fc highflow cat work with the borla, or should i get the fc flex pipe? the flex pipe says for high hp motors...would i be ok with a volant,udp, and the addition of the race header and the pipe?

·
Registered
793 Posts
The Race Header will replace the Cat and the Flex Pipe. It would be unlikely (I think impossible) that you would be able to attach the FC Flex Pipe:

to the FC Race Header:

The Flex Pipe is used in conjunction with the existing catalytic converter and bolt-up locations.

You could go FC Race Header > FC High Flow Cat > Aftermarket Exhaust assembly.

The Flex Pipe just opens up the airflow from the restricted 1.75" stock pipe. High HP is not a must, but to get any benefit you have to have an aftermarket (Borla, Bosal, Thermal, YoDude etc...at least 2.25" in diameter) "Cat-Back" exhaust system.

Enjoy !

[ 09-16-2002, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

·
Registered
97 Posts
No, the header will only replace the stock header and cat, you will still want the flex pipe. As that will be the most restrictive part of your exhaust. Have someone weld in the cat into your borla straight pipe, after the flex. Does the Borla have a resonator? If so, replace the resonator with the cat.

·
Registered
647 Posts
well i dont have the fc header but i have the shm with a moded random tech cat then the flex pipe then the borla and it works great and is loud

·
Registered
826 Posts
The combination of the two work great togther. Also you get a price break when buying both at the same time. Also, our new flexpipes are now made out of stainless steel.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by DESIGNER4MUSTANG:
No, the header will only replace the stock header and cat, you will still want the flex pipe. As that will be the most restrictive part of your exhaust. Have someone weld in the cat into your borla straight pipe, after the flex. Does the Borla have a resonator? If so, replace the resonator with the cat.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Huh? The Cat terminates in a horizontal position, just above the bottom of the block. The Race Header terminates underneath the motor in a vertical position. This being the case, and the fact that the Flex Pipe start is on the front of the block, in a horizontal position, how does a Flex Pipe fit in that set up?

I am not saying that you are wrong, only that I don't get it, and hell, maybe I'm wrong. Won't be the first time.

Nader: Are you referring the FC Race Header and High Flow Cat working great together? or am I just out in left field due to my fever.?.?

·
Registered
97 Posts
poSSumX Your not looking at it right. The F/C cat is a universal and can be welded in anywhere. Since it requires thermal energy to work, the closer to the header, the better. But after the flex should be fine.

I have my F/C cat welded where the flex was and the flex after. Runs very clean, and not too loud. Loud enough so that I'd rather not step on it with law enforcement around. Dynomax muffler, and use the cat as a all-around resonator. Works GREAT and only robs about 1 hp.

·
Registered
944 Posts
race header ---->flex pipe--->cat back.

or

shorty header --->stock cat--->flex pipe--->to cat back.

or

race header--->flex pipe--->cat back with cat welded in somewhere.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Like I said, I could be wrong, and was in this case. I guess the old Flu is impeding my ability to think. That definitely rules out any work on the ol' car this afternoon. Jeesh.

Thanks for clearing it up for me anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts